• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Snorkel gear?

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What kind of masks do you folks use? I'm thinking about one of those full face masks but they look huge

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only using it once or twice a year I went cheap on the ones my wife and I use. Around $30 off Amazon. We love them and haven't had any issues. I would do some research if I was going to use it a lot more often.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only using it once or twice a year I went cheap on the ones my wife and I use. Around $30 off Amazon. We love them and haven't had any issues. I would do some research if I was going to use it a lot more often.
You use the traditional looking thingies?

My main thing is I wear glasses and I know I won't be able to see much, unless it's close to the surface

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You going diving or snorkeling?
No scuba, just snorkeling, but sometimes you need to dive for a bit to see things better, and then re-surface

bamagrad75

Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You use the traditional looking thingies?

My main thing is I wear glasses and I know I won't be able to see much, unless it's close to the surface

Honestly, too many negatives with the full mask for snorkel.

You can get your prescription done in a regular face mask. I've been using a prescription mask for years. A bit pricey, depending on your prescription but any good dive shop can fit a mask to you and get the prescription placed in them.

To my knowledge, you can't put a prescription in a full face mask.

rjshull

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a diver I highly suggest you steal away from the shitty full face snorkel masks. There are numerous issues with them, they can be very deadly. Full Face Snorkel Mask Dangers - The Scuba Doctor.

As @bamagrad75 said you can buy your own normal scuba mask and have your prescription ground into it. It is significantly more expensive than the full face mask, about 4 years ago I got a new mask and it cost me about $300.

My suggestion is to go to a local scuba shop, talk with them about what you want, properly get fitted for mask and have it sent into to get your prescription out in.

bamagrad75

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a diver I highly suggest you steal away from the shitty full face snorkel masks. There are numerous issues with them, they can be very deadly. Full Face Snorkel Mask Dangers - The Scuba Doctor.

As @bamagrad75 said you can buy your own normal scuba mask and have your prescription ground into it. It is significantly more expensive than the full face mask, about 4 years ago I got a new mask and it cost me about $300.

My suggestion is to go to a local scuba shop, talk with them about what you want, properly get fitted for mask and have it sent into to get your prescription out in.

Yes, full face masks are always a controversy on dive blogs. Some places are starting to refuse to use them.

I have a complicated prescription so mine runs $300+ but it's worth every penny to be able to see everything. Plus a properly fitted mask beats makes a difference. IF you wear contacts, you can snorkel in them. Daughter been diving with contacts for years. But if you can't wear contacts, bite the bullet and pay for the prescription mask.

But do your homework. Not every mask easily configured for prescription. Make sure yours can fot them. Again, where a quality dive shop comes in.

@rjshull where do you dive? Daughter and I headed to Raja Ampat for a couple of weeks in December.

rjshull

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I
Yes, full face masks are always a controversy on dive blogs. Some places are starting to refuse to use them.

I have a complicated prescription so mine runs $300+ but it's worth every penny to be able to see everything. Plus a properly fitted mask beats makes a difference. IF you wear contacts, you can snorkel in them. Daughter been diving with contacts for years. But if you can't wear contacts, bite the bullet and pay for the prescription mask.

But do your homework. Not every mask easily configured for prescription. Make sure yours can fot them. Again, where a quality dive shop comes in.

@rjshull where do you dive? Daughter and I headed to Raja Ampat for a couple of weeks in December.
I am up in the New York North Country, but my dive master is in NW Ohio. I haven’t been to Raja Ampat in a few years, I have dove there twice and have loved both trips. The wife and I bought a house on St Kitts and thinking about starting a dove boat operation in the area.

bamagrad75

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I

I am up in the New York North Country, but my dive master is in NW Ohio. I haven’t been to Raja Ampat in a few years, I have dove there twice and have loved both trips. The wife and I bought a house on St Kitts and thinking about starting a dove boat operation in the area.

Sounds nice.

We are heading to Bali first so she can dive the east coast there. Love the area. We did Egypt last year.

rjshull

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds nice.

We are heading to Bali first so she can dive the east coast there. Love the area. We did Egypt last year.
Nice, I haven’t been to Egypt yet but definitely a place I want to see. I assume you got to see some great history sites and sunk statues and what not

bamagrad75

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice, I haven’t been to Egypt yet but definitely a place I want to see. I assume you got to see some great history sites and sunk statues and what not

I'm just a mere snorkeler but she got to some great places, including her bucket list, The Thistlegorm, and the Great Blue Hole at Dahab.

I've been to a number of sites in Egypt including Luxor and Abu Simbel. Stunning

rjshull

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just a mere snorkeler but she got to some great places, including her bucket list, The Thistlegorm, and the Great Blue Hole at Dahab.

I've been to a number of sites in Egypt including Luxor and Abu Simbel. Stunning
Now I’m really jealous, even when I was in the USAF and traveling around Africa I didn’t get to go to Egypt, and as a life long student of history it is definitely the n the bucket list.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We skied in 54" of fresh light "cold smoke" powder two years ago... could have really used snorkels.
Was an epic day at Grand Targhee... so epic they used this picture on last year's trail map.

btw...if you're a skier and enjoy chasing powder, Targhee is opening 600 acres of killa terrain (previously available only by snocat at $350/day) with a new high-speed 6-person lift.

Attachments

• 20220203_164855.jpg
    20220203_164855.jpg
    279.8 KB · Views: 2