• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SMs mentor, Ted Thompson adamant about not drafting for need

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will be interesting to see how SM will define his own drafting style with the Redskins.

Excerpt

Thompson’s draft philosophy, which has built a Packers team that has a Super Bowl title and is annually in contention to get another one, is simple—take the best player available. But what about team needs?

They are considered, said Thompson, but only as part of the equation.

"You factor everything in. But [need] doesn't carry as much weight as it might with other organizations,” Thompson said during his annual pre-draft news conference Wednesday, via Jason Wilde of ESPN Wisconsin. “There's a certain amount of weighting in terms of need, but I am adamant that that's not the way to draft. The way to draft is to take the best player . . . If you reach and take something that’s not quite as good, then you may not be getting the same value. I know you don’t believe that, but it’s true. That’s what we do.”

Not coincidentally, this is very similar to what McCloughan has said about filling needs vs. taking the best player available. He referred to Thompson when he talked about how he builds his roster during his introductory press conference in January.

“Everybody says, ‘Well you need this, this, this and this,’ which I understand,” he said. “You know, a lot of times in pro free agency, you can address those needs a little bit, but I learned from Ron Wolf early on, I learned from Ted Thompson early on, I learned from John Schneider, you can never have enough good football players on your team. If you keep adding that, you’re going to have your couple of two, three superstars that are going come out and become stars.”

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SM's draft history shows a little of both . i agree dont reach for a need over the BPA

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thompson's draft philosophy may be a bit driven by the fact that the Packers are a team of few needs. That why they can draft a BPA to layer talent and basically create a dynasty. In our case, we're not exactly in that boat -- yet. The one shining example of why drafting for need is flawed is the 2008 Draft when we 'needed' big WRs. We ended drafting Malcolm Kelly and Devin Thomas and passed on Desean Jackson, Jamaal Charles, and Jordy Nelson.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The entire article

ESPN Wisconsin - 04/22/15 The need for ... need

Excerpt

You factor everything in. But [need] doesn't carry as much weight as it might with other organizations,” Thompson said during his annual pre-draft news conference Wednesday. “There's a certain amount of weighting in terms of need, but I am adamant that that's not the way to draft. The way to draft is to take the best player.”

That’s because, Thompson has long argued, you never know when a position of strength can morph into a position of need.

“This isn’t play time or anything like that. This is real life. People get banged up, injuries happen. Life happens,” Thompson continued. “What you think you’re strong at, you’re not necessarily strong at. If you take good, solid players that you know can contribute – albeit at a position that’s maybe a little bit heavier – as long as you’re taking good, solid players you’re getting some value there.

“If you reach and take something that’s not quite as good, then you may not be getting the same value. I know you don’t believe that, but it’s true. That’s what we do.”

That said, Thompson hasn’t been above reaching – or being more influenced by need than he’d care to admit – in the past. Sometimes, it’s worked out. Others, it has not.

dcrising

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thompson's draft philosophy may be a bit driven by the fact that the Packers are a team of few needs. That why they can draft a BPA to layer talent and basically create a dynasty. In our case, we're not exactly in that boat -- yet. The one shining example of why drafting for need is flawed is the 2008 Draft when we 'needed' big WRs. We ended drafting Malcolm Kelly and Devin Thomas and passed on Desean Jackson, Jamaal Charles, and Jordy Nelson.
Thank you Cerrato. god he was a incompetent pissant

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i like pats draft philsophy just draft shit load of players and hope to hit on alot

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's see if I've got this thing well understood. Ted Thompson wants us to believe that if his team needed a QB for example and one was available that could help his team, don't draft him, instead draft the TE for example because he is the better player in his opinion.........right?

That's remarkable, if you consider the fact that Aaron Rogers was selected 24th in the first round after being passed by 23 other teams who curiously didn't rate him as the BPA! Maybe their needs at other positions were greater than at QB. Worse maybe Ted Thompson is calling his fellow GM's idiots for attempting to fix glaring weaknesses on their respective teams.

A little help on this one, somebody, thanks!

reptec101

warPAINt nation
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's probably wise to draft best player avail unless your glaring hole is sitting there right in front of you, and not a real stretch. This year he won't be unless they trade down. For instance, Skins biggest need imo is the safety position but top safety is projected late in first. They're no safety standouts rated worth our pick #5. You can't stretch and select, lets say the Collins kid the safety from Alabama. He may be good... but, since we have a lot of holes another need will be sitting there at 5 in Dante Fowler perhaps. Basically, when it's your pick in first round you have to draft best player left avail at whatever need and position is avail (it could be Amari Cooper) but after that in later rounds go with best player avail as to how you see that person being the best.

Don't select Mariotta with the 5th pick! "No" QB can be successful with a shitty line, and "most" QB's can be successful with a really good line. Build your line build your team. It's not that hard of a concept. I hate Dallas but they did the smart thing... pass up the glamour picks and pick up the gruff and tuff. Romo, the broken down warrior had a great year because of that front line. Murray benefitted as well as Dez as well as the whole offense. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if they select Brandon Scherff with the 5th pick. somewhere in the draft they will pick a safety but not in the first round without a trade.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's see if I've got this thing well understood. Ted Thompson wants us to believe that if his team needed a QB for example and one was available that could help his team, don't draft him, instead draft the TE for example because he is the better player in his opinion.........right?

That's remarkable, if you consider the fact that Aaron Rogers was selected 24th in the first round after being passed by 23 other teams who curiously didn't rate him as the BPA! Maybe their needs at other positions were greater than at QB. Worse maybe Ted Thompson is calling his fellow GM's idiots for attempting to fix glaring weaknesses on their respective teams.

A little help on this one, somebody, thanks!

i will help you with this stymie . he is full of shit

he does what every GM does or tries too he identifies needs and prioritizes them

when his pick come up he checks needs with his big board and determines if he is getting value there . if he does he takes him , if not he moves to the next need and so on . if he cant reconcile he takes the BPA

he will also take the BPA if he is obviously a superstar in the making

i have asked this a million times here and no one answers it . when have you ever heard a GM say " i will reach for a need over taking the BPA" they dont even though they do

tell me that drafting alex smith wasnt reaching for a need or did he think he was the BPA ?

dcrising

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i will help you with this stymie . he is full of shit

he does what every GM does or tries too he identifies needs and prioritizes them

when his pick come up he checks needs with his big board and determines if he is getting value there . if he does he takes him , if not he moves to the next need and so on . if he cant reconcile he takes the BPA

he will also take the BPA if he is obviously a superstar in the making

i have asked this a million times here and no one answers it . when have you ever heard a GM say " i will reach for a need over taking the BPA" they dont even though they do

tell me that drafting alex smith wasnt reaching for a need or did he think he was the BPA ?
The QB position is different then any other position in the NFL \cliche

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The QB position is different then any other position in the NFL \cliche
if you are saying you draft the BPA then you draft him . my point is he ,in fact , reached for a need he didnt have too

dcrising

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if you are saying you draft the BPA then you draft him . my point is he ,in fact , reached for a need he didnt have too
i can only guess as to his thinking at the time and he thought Alex Smith would be a franchise QB. he was wrong.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i can only guess as to his thinking at the time and he thought Alex Smith would be a franchise QB. he was wrong.
or you guys are buying the BPA soley thing he puts out and he drafted for a need

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i like pats draft philsophy just draft shit load of players and hope to hit on alot

So true. One good example - that I only realized after watching recent ESPN Brady special - the Pats drafted 6 other players in the 2000 draft before Brady in rounds 2-6. Just about everyone of them contributed little or nothing to the team. They were very fortunate to find Brady & even if they thought for a second that Brady had a future they would have likely drafted him at least several rounds prior.

Just shows you the value of scouting & keeping as many picks as possible.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So true. One good example - that I only realized after watching recent ESPN Brady special - the Pats drafted 6 other players in the 2000 draft before Brady in rounds 2-6. Just about everyone of them contributed little or nothing to the team. They were very fortunate to find Brady & even if they thought for a second that Brady had a future they would have likely drafted him at least several rounds prior.

Just shows you the value of scouting & keeping as many picks as possible.

This is kind of like asking out one '10' as opposed to taking multiple shots with 7, 8, and 9s. You not only increase you chances in landing who you want, but you sometimes later figure out that the '10' you were shooting for is really a 7.5 and those 8s are really 9s.

You feelin' me on this one?

dcrising

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
or you guys are buying the BPA soley thing he puts out and he drafted for a need
at #1 if there isn't a Franchise QB there or you don't need one you are taking the best player you think in the draft unless dan snyder does something crazy.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is kind of like asking out one '10' as opposed to taking multiple shots with 7, 8, and 9s. You not only increase you chances in landing who you want, but you sometimes later figure out that the '10' you were shooting for is really a 7.5 and those 8s are really 9s.

You feelin' me on this one?

No doubt. If you have not already - watch that special. The thoughts in hindsight are kind of like your analogy. The 49ers at the time were fixated with their 3rd round pick - Giovanni Carmazzi - who Walsh & others were convinced might be the next Montana. He was a workout star & wowed them in tryouts. Brady - on the other hand - was a disaster in these situations. However - Carmazzi had no presence even in preseason games & flamed out early. Just goes to show that you can't always tell about these guys.

This is pretty consistent with your analogy.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of you are purposely downplaying "need" and exaggerating BPA. Best player available to me means just that and by that standard the number one player drafted should be Williams. By a wide margin he has been deemed the best player in the draft and subsequently selected first. OK, there will be those who say that QB's are the exception, but , if I'm a stud TE away from a championship, why in hell would I pass him up because a running back who happens to be rated higher on my overall board is also there. This means that I'm passing on my opportunity to field a championship squad in favor of one that falls one player short of the ultimate goal in favor of a squad that has potential and an abundance of RB's. So what do I do, trade one of my running backs for the Stud TE that I passed in the draft?