• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Smart Phones

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It may be a good idea to hold off until late October on the Pixel if you decide on it. The 4 drops then if it interests you, but if you care more about lower prices than the newest tech then the price of the 3 should come down pretty significantly at that point.

You can always shop for some gently used ones on www.swappa.com as well if you want to go that route. It's kind of a safer Ebay for phones.
I think I am going to wait. My G6 works just fine, just doesn't vibrate anymore and I wouldn't mind a better camera...but otherwise it's all good.

Dolemite censored

Bigfoot is real
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It may be a good idea to hold off until late October on the Pixel if you decide on it. The 4 drops then if it interests you, but if you care more about lower prices than the newest tech then the price of the 3 should come down pretty significantly at that point.

You can always shop for some gently used ones on www.swappa.com as well if you want to go that route. It's kind of a safer Ebay for phones.

I'm impressed with your technical knowledge regarding smart phones.

All the while, I thought you were some simple hick who shoots squirrels and possums while running an illegal still and banging your sister.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a Pixel 2 XL. No real issues with it, so as long as it stays that way, I'll probably hold off on buying a new one this year.

@Camfantasy is right about the price drops, though. I paid full price for mine, then a month or two later, Google was running ads for a couple hundred off.

I couldn't have waited, though. My old phone took a shit on me.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm impressed with your technical knowledge regarding smart phones.

All the while, I thought you were some simple hick who shoots squirrels and possums while running an illegal still and banging your sister.

lulz

that's @Chewbaccer's "I wish I could still use a rotary phone" ass

I've always had a thing for new innovative technology and smart phones these days seem to be on the front lines of that kinda stuff. It's amazing how far these things have come in 10 to 12 years and it's fun to try to project what they could be doing 10 to 12 years from now.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a Pixel 2 XL. No real issues with it, so as long as it stays that way, I'll probably hold off on buying a new one this year.

@Camfantasy is right about the price drops, though. I paid full price for mine, then a month or two later, Google was running ads for a couple hundred off.

I couldn't have waited, though. My old phone took a shit on me.

Yup. The flagship pixels (not the new mid-tiered ones) are usually announced in early October and released in late October. That is too close to Black Friday for me to jump on release day.

Have you seen the new Project Soli stuff they are implementing on the new one this year? It's a radar based gesture control system that will let you interact with the device without touching it. It sounds gimmicky (and i'm sure will be at first) but I'm hoping Google puts the full court press on developing some useful software implementations for it. It could be revolutionary on wearables, bluetooth speakers, en the sech.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup. The flagship pixels (not the new mid-tiered ones) are usually announced in early October and released in late October. That is too close to Black Friday for me to jump on release day.

Have you seen the new Project Soli stuff they are implementing on the new one this year? It's a radar based gesture control system that will let you interact with the device without touching it. It sounds gimmicky (and i'm sure will be at first) but I'm hoping Google puts the full court press on developing some useful software implementations for it. It could be revolutionary on wearables, bluetooth speakers, en the sech.

No... Don't really follow that stuff all that closely. It would be great if my phone lasted till next fall.. They'd probably have that honed in by then.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No... Don't really follow that stuff all that closely. It would be great if my phone lasted till next fall.. They'd probably have that honed in by then.

I would guess it would be a lot better than it would be at launch. I do expect it to be fairly stable at launch, i just don't know how elaborate they will be at that point. If there are only a few different situations that you could use that then what's the point?

I do also expect them to integrate that into the new facial recognition stuff. Hopefully it will sense you reaching for the phone and unlock it before you even have it in front of you. That's always been kind of my hangup with that way of unlocking a phone. With a fingerprint sensor I can have that bech unlocked before it's even pointed in my direction.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ulephone Armor 6e. Under 200 bucks. Indestructible. Not for the technologically retarded though. Go spend 1K on an iPhone or Samsung if that is you (and enjoy the mountain of bloatware consuming all the resources you paid a shit ton of money for). Took a lot of finagling to get it to work right but this phone will last for a decade if I want to keep it that long.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ulephone Armor 6e. Under 200 bucks. Indestructible. Not for the technologically retarded though. Go spend 1K on an iPhone or Samsung if that is you (and enjoy the mountain of bloatware consuming all the resources you paid a shit ton of money for). Took a lot of finagling to get it to work right but this phone will last for a decade if I want to keep it that long.

i don't believe the ulefone 6e is compatible with Verizon, is it?

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See attached link. Most likely not. As far as I know the phone works on GSM providers (ATT, T-mobile, etc..)
https://willmyphonework.net/

actually, your link doesn't work. this is what i got:

502 - Web server received an invalid response while acting as a gateway or proxy server.
There is a problem with the page you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed. When the Web server (while acting as a gateway or proxy) contacted the upstream content server, it received an invalid response from the content server.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
actually, your link doesn't work. this is what i got:

502 - Web server received an invalid response while acting as a gateway or proxy server.
There is a problem with the page you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed. When the Web server (while acting as a gateway or proxy) contacted the upstream content server, it received an invalid response from the content server.

Site must be having issues. Hopefully not permanent. Will have to find another that actually lets you put a phone model in, otherwise you need to know the frequencies to figure it out.

raider bill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am keeping this LG K20 or whatever the fuck it is, until TMobile utilizes all that low band they bought. Works fine for what I need. I like having the home/back/and multi app buttons on the screen and not physical buttons.

raider bill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get into the whole 'my device is better because' stuff. There are fanbois of every platform. We are in the samsung stack largely out of familiarity and consistency. The camera on the s9 is more than good enough for what I use it for and the slo-mo and night mode features are more of a bonus. The one thing I'm still happy about is they haven't gotten rid of the headphone jack. Have some crazy good headsets and no interest in carrying extra dongles or going bluetooth because some manufacturer tells me I have to. Is that a deal breaker though? Naw.

As for iPhones, I'm forced to carry one at work and utterly fucking hate it. I simply can't stand their platform at all. But that is probably more about just being used to droid and being pissed off because there is no back button lol. Every time I revisit iShit I end up feeling like I want to throw it through a window.

Agreed.. when I pick up my daughters Apple... "how the fuck do you multi pane?"...."Swipe left, then right 6 times, spin around etc etc.. its a fucking mess." Android I just hit the square on my screen.

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just not into the big screens? The new Note 10+ has gone from the 6.4" on your Note 9 to 6.8"

That's a big fucker.....they do also have a smaller 6.3" version of the 10 though.

You need a backpack like a teen or a purse like a woman to carry something like that with you. If a phone doesn't fit in my pocket, it's not going with me and might as well be a land line.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We got the s10+ a few months back going from the s7.