• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Smart Phones

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get into the whole 'my device is better because' stuff. There are fanbois of every platform. We are in the samsung stack largely out of familiarity and consistency. The camera on the s9 is more than good enough for what I use it for and the slo-mo and night mode features are more of a bonus. The one thing I'm still happy about is they haven't gotten rid of the headphone jack. Have some crazy good headsets and no interest in carrying extra dongles or going bluetooth because some manufacturer tells me I have to. Is that a deal breaker though? Naw.

As for iPhones, I'm forced to carry one at work and utterly fucking hate it. I simply can't stand their platform at all. But that is probably more about just being used to droid and being pissed off because there is no back button lol. Every time I revisit iShit I end up feeling like I want to throw it through a window.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
unlocked Google Phones come with 0 bloatware, monthly security updates, and the Titan M security chip so i think i will live too on that front :thumb:
And still are less secure than iOS. It is good that with the Pixel 3 Google started securing user data, at least when a virus bricks your phone they won't get control of it.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get into the whole 'my device is better because' stuff. There are fanbois of every platform. We are in the samsung stack largely out of familiarity and consistency. The camera on the s9 is more than good enough for what I use it for and the slo-mo and night mode features are more of a bonus. The one thing I'm still happy about is they haven't gotten rid of the headphone jack. Have some crazy good headsets and no interest in carrying extra dongles or going bluetooth because some manufacturer tells me I have to. Is that a deal breaker though? Naw.

As for iPhones, I'm forced to carry one at work and utterly fucking hate it. I simply can't stand their platform at all. But that is probably more about just being used to droid and being pissed off because there is no back button lol. Every time I revisit iShit I end up feeling like I want to throw it through a window.
I'm the same way with Android shit. I bought a galaxy tab to give to my son a couple of years ago and sent it back because the UX was fucking miserable. I'm sure if I knew nothing but that it would be useable, but as is it isn't. And it wasn't intuitive, so I just sent it back and he got an iPad mini.

What good is a back button?

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And still are less secure than iOS. It is good that with the Pixel 3 Google started securing user data, at least when a virus bricks your phone they won't get control of it.

Never had a phone brick or have any known security issue at all and i'm on my 4th one with the 5th coming this fall complete with industry leading camera, 90hz OLED screen, supposedly better than Apple facial recognition, and a radar based gesture control tech that Google has been developing for 5+ years now. I'll take that chance. :thumb:

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They all are good in their own ways and bad in their own ways. None of them are perfect.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm the same way with Android shit. I bought a galaxy tab to give to my son a couple of years ago and sent it back because the UX was fucking miserable. I'm sure if I knew nothing but that it would be useable, but as is it isn't. And it wasn't intuitive, so I just sent it back and he got an iPad mini.

I had a galaxy tab pro and it was garbage. From what I hear, Samsung has gotten their shit together with their new OneUI skin. That TouchWiz shit is what made me go to stock android to begin with.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Again, I'm not claiming anything is better than anything, but what I'm used to. I typically have at least 4-6 apps open at a time and the navigation between them and managing what is open is just super fast and easy, for me, on my droids. I only have a couple I have to use on apple and it's a pain to jump around. I just hate it so much.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never had a phone brick or have any known security issue at all and i'm on my 4th one with the 5th coming this fall complete with industry leading camera, 90hz OLED screen, supposedly better than Apple facial recognition, and a radar based gesture control tech that Google has been developing for 5+ years now. I'll take that chance. :thumb:
And Google will take everything you do and sell it. :thumb:

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, I'm not claiming anything is better than anything, but what I'm used to. I typically have at least 4-6 apps open at a time and the navigation between them and managing what is open is just super fast and easy, for me, on my droids. I only have a couple I have to use on apple and it's a pain to jump around. I just hate it so much.
Just depends on what you are used to. A simple swipe up and then slide to my open apps is pretty easy. No idea how android does it.

Dolemite censored

Bigfoot is real
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn. Lots of early adopters on here. That is expensive and the first products issued are always buggy.

But, carry on. That's how progress is made. The company issues a shitty phone and gets slammed, then they put out another one that's much better.

Rinse and repeat.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Google will take everything you do and sell it. :thumb:

If they didn't on my phone then they would some other way along with many other companies.

Damn. Lots of early adopters on here. That is expensive and the first products issued are always buggy.

But, carry on. That's how progress is made. The company issues a shitty phone and gets slammed, then they put out another one that's much better.

Rinse and repeat.

The 3a you got is a hell of a good deal for the money. That's the one I told bamabear awhile back on the night shift to consider if he decided to go to Android. It's got the same camera system/software experience as mine. That's pretty significant for less than $400 retail for the smaller one.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just depends on what you are used to. A simple swipe up and then slide to my open apps is pretty easy. No idea how android does it.
Exactly, it's not right or wrong it's just what you are used to. You asked about the back button and while some apple apps have their own in their interface, there is one I work with for my job that doesn't and it's cumbersome to return to prior screens. It's awesome to have that built into Samsung and universally available.

I'm just used to have 3 buttons instead of 1. Always one click from all running apps which is awesome when you are on the phone and also trying to juggle apps while speaking and the back button just makes sense.

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Rinse and repeat.

meh, when the new iPhone comes out, they'll give me decent coin for my Xs, so I'm not paying $1K for every single phone. Maybe I paid $1K for the first one and then the difference when I trade my previous generation in. Sure, its still not cheap, but phones are disposable items... just a means to get to my data.

Dolemite censored

Bigfoot is real
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
meh, when the new iPhone comes out, they'll give me decent coin for my Xs, so I'm not paying $1K for every single phone. Maybe I paid $1K for the first one and then the difference when I trade my previous generation in. Sure, its still not cheap, but phones are disposable items... just a means to get to my data.

$1K !!!

I paid 499.99 and almost stroked out and this fucking thing had better last several years.

Phones are disposable. Money isn't.

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That windows phone is now the expendable internet browser device.
There were actually a number of features i loved about my windows phone ( i waited til they got things better i didn thave a Nokia one) I loved the camera features i had on mine it was a 900 something i for get what... For a long time they were working on a way to make it run android apps, i forget the project name but then they decided to throw in the towel. The app store is what was killing them the most i loved my one drive and a lot of the universal apps that carried over to the pc

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
$1K !!!

I paid 499.99 and almost stroked out and this fucking thing had better last several years.

Phones are disposable. Money isn't.

You should have waited on a sale. Retail on the small one is typically $399, with the bigger one being $479. Always pay less than retail if you can help it. Carriers and retailers have frequent sales on cell phones. I think i got my Pixel 3XL ($900 retail) for $200 off from the Google Store less than a month after it's release. I only paid like $600 with tax after discounts and a trade in from the first Pixel XL

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bought a Pixel 3a XL yesterday. Dumped the Nokia Windows phone.
jeez I didn't know anyone still supported the Windows Phone. I had one, kind of liked the OS, but it didn't jive with Verizon and I wasn't getting all my messages, so I jumped ship...

Android all the way here with an LG G6 now.

will probably upgrade soon though...Pixel 3 or the Samsung Galaxy 10e

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
jeez I didn't know anyone still supported the Windows Phone. I had one, kind of liked the OS, but it didn't jive with Verizon and I wasn't getting all my messages, so I jumped ship...

Android all the way here with an LG G6 now.

will probably upgrade soon though...Pixel 3 or the Samsung Galaxy 10e

It may be a good idea to hold off until late October on the Pixel if you decide on it. The 4 drops then if it interests you, but if you care more about lower prices than the newest tech then the price of the 3 should come down pretty significantly at that point.

You can always shop for some gently used ones on www.swappa.com as well if you want to go that route. It's kind of a safer Ebay for phones.

Reactions: gob