• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Slay on being traded: "I don't care, I'm a millionaire"

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might be my new favorite NFL player:

Slay shrugs off trade rumors: 'I don't care, I'm a millionaire'

Darius Slay heard the trade rumors, and he was indifferent to whether he stayed with the Detroit Lions or was dealt before the deadline.

"I didn't care if they did (trade me), that's the thing. The whole point of time, y'all don't understand it that I didn't care if I did. It is what it is," Slay said, according to Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press.

Slay spoke out after the Lions shipped safety Quandre Diggs to the Seattle Seahawks, and he subsequently heard his own name being circulated as a possible trade chip.

When asked if he preferred to be dealt, Slay responded, "I don't care. I'm a millionaire, dude."

Slay is in the second-last season of his contract with the Lions, which pays him $12.5 million in base salary this year and $10 million in 2020.

He's played his entire seven-year career in Detroit and said he "wouldn't mind" spending the duration of it with the Lions.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Such inspiring words. Makes me want to run through a brick wall.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh. He's being asked about trade rumours. Not sure inspiration applies in that situation.

Yeah, but just the general attitude seems to be "I don't care about shit except my bank account".

Look, I'm not a naïve child. I get that there's a lot of that going on. But it's pretty deflating to hear it straight from these guys like that. You would like to think that there's a part of them that wants to be great and wants to win for something other than money. Even if it's secondary. lol

At the end of the day; I don't give a rats ass. I'll still enjoy the game equally as much as I do now. It's just nice when you do see the guys that are legitimately passionate. It's deflating when you see the opposite.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Yeah, but just the general attitude seems to be "I don't care about shit except my bank account".

More specifically, it sounds like he's saying he doesn't care if he's traded. That doesn't seem unreasonable. Players get traded all the time, and you gotta play for whatever team gets you.

Slay's a good player, and I wouldn't expect anything but a good effort wherever he plays. Maybe I'm wrong; maybe he's an Albert Haynesworth. :noidea:

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
K... so I wont be paying for him in 2025?

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Look, I'm not a naïve child. I get that there's a lot of that going on. But it's pretty deflating to hear it straight from these guys like that. You would like to think that there's a part of them that wants to be great and wants to win for something other than money. Even if it's secondary. lol

At the end of the day; I don't give a rats ass. I'll still enjoy the game equally as much as I do now. It's just nice when you do see the guys that are legitimately passionate. It's deflating when you see the opposite.

yeah a great notion but the team's do thing on the bank account every day so why should the players be held to a different standard.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously he's a solid player so it's not like he has mailed it in

I'm kinda perplexed by the Lions giving up...I get the NFC is tough but this is a bit much

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously he's a solid player so it's not like he has mailed it in

I'm kinda perplexed by the Lions giving up...I get the NFC is tough but this is a bit much

They are rather cowardly Lions

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Almost everyone is a millionaire in the NFL lol....I don't see how that pertains to the question but okay he is a damn good player

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

For the most part...I don't really care how much this players make...if not for the hard cap, I wouldn't care at all.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah a great notion but the team's do thing on the bank account every day so why should the players be held to a different standard.

I never held them to a different standard. Of course, you have to look out for your bottom line.

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he's just saying what most professional athletes feel .... they will go where they can make the most money and the jersey they were has little bearing on anything.

can you blame them? that's what we do in our careers, right?

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you've spent 7 years with a team and the team hasn't won a playoff game during that time, (or the 20 years before you joined), your enthusiasm for the team is probably going to take a hit.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just take it as he doesn't really care where he is playing. He already has the money so it's not an issue for him. "I can play anywhere"