• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SJ's 2015-2016 NFL prospect chat

bluepigpen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It all sounds good. Big WRs and TEs that can catch the ball, cool need some of them but with the present QBs on the roster its wasted. I don't know where the QB comes from but this team is a QB away from getting in the playoffs and doing something there. The Rams have the defense (NOW) to compete and win but the offense is not even a work in progress without the QB. Gurley will be great. Austin is getting better. The Oline is probably a center and LT away from really good but really Jerry Rice couldn't make the Rams win with the QB we have. It is like, lets buy a great new house, have the landscape to dream of and move the couch that has been on the back porch into the living room, worthless. Recovering that couch won't do, replacing it will. Everyone knows that I would just as well the Rams select a QB in the draft, ready to play or not but for the near future. I am tired of the retread. I would even take Mannion starting day one next year. Will RGIII make it work? Will Peyton Manning make it work? Keenam, Foles, Davis, ....? I don't believe were going to be lucky like Kurt Warner again. Cut the waste or trade the waste for peanuts, Cook, Foles etc and lets really get serious about winning, IF THEY DO!

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It all sounds good. Big WRs and TEs that can catch the ball, cool need some of them but with the present QBs on the roster its wasted. I don't know where the QB comes from but this team is a QB away from getting in the playoffs and doing something there. The Rams have the defense (NOW) to compete and win but the offense is not even a work in progress without the QB. Gurley will be great. Austin is getting better. The Oline is probably a center and LT away from really good but really Jerry Rice couldn't make the Rams win with the QB we have. It is like, lets buy a great new house, have the landscape to dream of and move the couch that has been on the back porch into the living room, worthless. Recovering that couch won't do, replacing it will. Everyone knows that I would just as well the Rams select a QB in the draft, ready to play or not but for the near future. I am tired of the retread. I would even take Mannion starting day one next year. Will RGIII make it work? Will Peyton Manning make it work? Keenam, Foles, Davis, ....? I don't believe were going to be lucky like Kurt Warner again. Cut the waste or trade the waste for peanuts, Cook, Foles etc and lets really get serious about winning, IF THEY DO!

Blue, I highly respect your opinion and usually agree with what you say, but I have to disagree with you here.

what would Dalton look like without Green? Smith without Maclin? Brady without Gronk and Edelman ( we saw that during this season when they were both injured and it didn't look good ). even Rodgers and the Pack offense was seriously affected by the loss of Nelson.

a WR CAN make a difference even with an average QB. Dalton is average without Green. Smith didn't even throw a TD to a WR last year and look what Maclin did to help him.

the Rams need reliable WR's that can make clutch catches and move the chains. having that will open things up for Gurley and Austin as well.

right now, no team is afraid of the WR group the Rams have and just stack the box to stop Gurley. that's not going to work. they need to address the WR/TE positions regardless of whether there is a new starting QB or not.

bluepigpen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree Angelakerams that pass catchers are important and without them 8 in the box is the rule of a defense but we also do not have a QB that goes through all the reads and makes the throws that hits the receiver. I am glad Cook is gone, Kendricks was resigned but another good hands TE that can also block is a need. Allen with the Colts might be a good FA pickup. As for WR, I don't know if there is a guy in this draft that stands out that makes him a slam dunk. Doctson might help on the 2nd day draft but I would maybe look FA there too like Jones. I just want a QB the the Rams can build a system behind for the future. Bulger was the last and they put a terrible Oline in front of him so that never really worked. I don't think the 3 QBs in the draft are slam dunk either and most likely none get to the 15th pick (I don't trade up either) so I don't know when the Rams are going to think QB long term. They drafted Mannion, I want to see what he can do, Case has a history and ceiling, Foles should have never been given a 2 year deal so tell me, who pushes this offense into the LA market? That is all I am saying.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The growing consensus at QB, Blue, is Coonor Cook at 15 in Round one.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The growing consensus at QB, Blue, is Coonor Cook at 15 in Round one.

Really? I hadn't seen that anywhere yet. If Goff/Wentz are off the board, I'd rather go Jaylon Smith or Shaq Lawson at 15.

bluepigpen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read the bios about Cook, I would be upset if they take him at 15. He is scheduled for 2nd round #44 prospect. That is probably giving him credit for being a QB too. BPA at 15 if the 3 QBs are gone or someone is to good to pass on.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read the bios about Cook, I would be upset if they take him at 15. He is scheduled for 2nd round #44 prospect. That is probably giving him credit for being a QB too. BPA at 15 if the 3 QBs are gone or someone is to good to pass on.

Yep, second round sounds better for Cook. Him at 15 is a force play, not a bra.

Battlelyon

Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL Nation
Kiper sees possible value in Rams waiting to draft a quarterback
9:18 PM ET
  • wagoner_nick_m.jpg
    Nick WagonerESPN Staff Writer
EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The Los Angeles Rams once again find themselves in a sort of no man's land when it comes to quarterbacks and the NFL draft.

After a 7-9 campaign in 2015, the Rams continued their tradition of being not quite good enough to turn the corner and make the playoffs but not quite bad enough to put themselves in position to draft a franchise signal-caller.

So it is that they head to this week's scouting combine in Indianapolis with the 15th overall pick and no guarantees that they can land the top quarterback they so desperately need. That's not to say they can't find one at No. 15 or even later as there are plenty of examples of successful quarterbacks drafted outside the top five.

But in looking at this year's draft, there doesn't appear to be a Jameis Winston or Marcus Mariota available. And while players like Cal's Jared Goff and North Dakota State's Carson Wentz could go in the top 10 or even the top five, neither player is thought to be the level of prospect of either of last year's top two choices.

Which means that drafting 15th will likely leave the Rams with little in the way of a solution to their quarterback quandary unless they choose to chase a prospect who might not be ready to play right away.

ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. recently released his second mock draftin.gif and decided to send Mississippi receiver Laquon Treadwell to Los Angeles instead of Memphis quarterback Paxton Lynch, the player he chose for the Rams in his first edition. In fact, Kiper dropped Lynch out of his first round altogether.

"I had Paxton Lynch there," Kiper said. "That would be the pick that would make sense if you want to develop a quarterback. If you have somebody that you're OK with -- Paxton Lynch is not going to be ready right away -- and you would be better to watch for a little bit. I think if you look at Treadwell, if he runs a good 40, he could go the top 10. I put him at 15 to be conservative knowing that speed is not his forte, but he's a great player. So if you get Treadwell then you could maybe come back and there's some second-round quarterbacks who could be intriguing."

Kiper's opinion that Lynch could take some time to get up to speed is not singular. The book on Lynch is that he has all the physical tools to succeed but he's coming from an offense that didn't ask him to make NFL progressions or push the ball downfield with any regularity. While still intrigued, Kiper currently views Lynch as a better option for a team early in the second round or late in the first.

But Lynch isn't the only prospect who could be available at that time. He lists Michigan State's Connor Cook, Penn State's Christian Hackenberg and Mississippi State's Dak Prescott as other potential second-round options.

The Rams have two second-round picks, so it's possible one or more of those players could be available or, if the Rams wanted to ensure they had their pick of the litter, they'd be well positioned to package those picks to move up to get the guy they want.

"And who is to say Lynch couldn't be an early two?" Kiper said. "I didn't think Derek Carr would be an early two when he got drafted. Andy Dalton, a lot of people had him in the first round, early second. I look at which quarterback could be a viable second-round pick and I just gave you several."

Kiper even sees value at quarterback beyond the first two rounds, perhaps more so than in other years.

"You're looking at middle-round guys that are intriguing, would be guys like Brandon Allen from Arkansas would be a nice pick at that point," Kiper said. "Vernon Adamsfrom Oregon. Jacoby Brissett [of] NC State, Cardale Jones [of] Ohio State. So there's going to be a lot of guys in play, I think, in that fourth-, fifth-round area this year, and like I said, there's going to be three or four that have the ability to be second-round picks."

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still no love for Hogan...he names 10 other guys.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another reason to like Hogan.

That hack made some good points tho.

NFL combine coming up soon. Who are the Rams gonna fall in love with?? :L

RamCub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our Rams' brotherhood has generally come to the consensus that we'll wait on a QB. :idea:

Our Rams' front office - we've seen this movie before! :trash:

RamsFan88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,416.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would be nice, but I don't see it happening, we need to many other fixes, and he will definitely be gone by any of our later picks. But he would be a nice option if we are only going to be getting FG's again!

I'm curious to see when he's drafted. We could have made the playoffs if Zuerlein would have hit a few field goals in some of our close losses this year.

Battlelyon

Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jared Goff’s small hands could shape NFL draft starting at No. 2
06dc06c6-576d-4127-8e43-1c7a2693dcc2_ed.jpg
By Eric Edholm 15 hours ago Shutdown Corner

Cleveland Browns head coach Hue Jackson offered one tantalizing element of his philosophies that could help shape the entire 2016 NFL draft.
Jared Goff (AP)

Asked how much a quarterback prospect’s hand size matters, Jackson quickly snapped out of his rut.

“Oh yes, it does,” he said.

[Follow Yahoo Sports draft expert Eric Edholm on Facebook and Twitter]

The Browns have to be considered one of the teams most in need of drafting and developing a young quarterback, and they own the No. 2 pick in the draft. Tennessee Titans, picking at No. 1, are set at the position with Marcus Mariota. The Browns could be the first team to pull the trigger on taking a QB.

Sorting through Cal’s Jared Goff, North Dakota State’s Carson Wentz and Memphis’ Paxton Lynch — if the Browns choose to take a quarterback at No. 2 — could come down to splitting hairs. Or hand sizes.

with “tiny hands” on Wednesday at the NFL scouting combine, Jackson’s answer on what he seeks from a hand-measurement standpoint could be telling.

“It matters because we play in a division where all of a sudden there’s rain and snow, and it’s different,” Jackson said. “Guys with bigger hands can grip the ball better in those environmental situations. We’re looking for a guy who fits what we’re looking for at quarterback, and so hand size is important.”

Wentz measured in at the Senior Bowl with 10-inch hands. Paxton also is believed to have larger hands. Could Goff’s hand size really affect him and drop him out of the Browns’ sights?

We asked Minnesota Vikings general manager Rick Spielman about the importance of hand size, and he’d know as he used a first-round pick on Teddy Bridgewater, who measured in with small — but not tiny — hands at 9 inches.

“A guy could have tiny Burger King hands, and — we’ll track him — if he doesn’t fumble, who cares?” Spielman said.

Tiny Burger King hands — oh yes, Spielman called back a commercial that was a bit of a hit in the mid-2000s.

Now we’re going to ask Goff about his Burger King hands (not really).

Goff did fumble 23 times in his Cal career, in 37 games there. Of course, Marcus Mariota fumbled 27 times at Oregon in 41 games at Oregon, and he was the second overall pick in 2015.

But we’re left to wonder if Goff's smaller hands might cost him a trip, whether that’s a good or bad thing, to be drafted by the Browns at No. 2 overall.