• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

six trade partners you meet in hell

Reverend Jim

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,275.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tip Drill: The six trade partners you meet in hell

scottp_075715.jpg
By Scott Pianowski | Roto Arcade – 21 hours ago

Y! SPORTS

When I first broke into this fantasy baseball racket, trading was a blast. I'd routinely lead all of my leagues in swaps, and I'd enjoy it: the phone calls, the early days of email, the stat referrals to the "blue sheets" (where the numbers were a week old), the seemingly-mandatory trade when parties got together. The Sunday paper still had utility back then. I think the earth was flat, too.
The Internet age of 2013 has all sorts of advantages, but at some point trading became a major pain in the ass. I'm not really writing this blog post for you, I'm writing it for me. Here are the owners who make me want to throw my phone against the wall.

The Guy Who Thinks Three 4s Equal A Ten
A baseball season isn't official until the first collection offer comes back. No, I'm not gonna move Clayton Kershaw for your Easter basket of Ryan Raburn, Omar Infante and Scott Feldman. But I appreciate your dexterity test. I hit the bull's eye every night.

The Lowball Guy Who Tries To Wear You Down
The idea here is to open with a crummy offer so the residual bad offer doesn't seem so bad. First it's Yuniesky Betancourt for Adrian Beltre, then it eventually filters up to Josh Donaldson. Don't reply logically to these emails, you'll lose two hours a day. Do not engage, Maverick.

The Manifesto Writer
Not content to throw you a benevolent trade offer, he has to write a five-page explanation of how the shakedown helps your team. Sometimes it's a case of trying too hard, and other times it's simply a cocktail of condescension. Bottom line, the longer the pitch, the less likely it's something that helps you. (The lawyers and the Sorkin fans love this move. The volume is a dead giveaway. Keep them in skim mode at all times.)

The Guy with the "Now You See It, Now You Don't" Offer
At 1:05 pm the intriguing pitch comes down and at 1:13 it disappears. More often than not, this type of reneg comes from a flaky opponent, not a cunning one. He's not a bad guy, he just can't commit to anything. Just be glad you're not behind him in the breakfast line.

The Guy Who Never Responds
Sometimes the absentee owner has completely bailed on his team - look at his active roster, see if he's ignored dead spots. Other times, you realize you're dealing with someone who isn't tech savvy - maybe they don't have offers filtered to their email. Try a direct contact before you give up on them completely.

The Indecisive Worrier
You remember these guys from youth baseball; they had both feet on first base at all times. They'll tell you they don't trade until July. They'll want 5-7 days to audit even the most harmless trade inquiry. They're still stung from the bad deal of 2008, and it's paralyzed them ever since. The good side of this owner: he always pays his entry fee up front, and he rarely finishes higher than sixth. A few donators are always welcome.
My venting is done for the afternoon; please grab the baton and keep the theme rolling in the comments.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can think of a few more types as well, one of which is so me. The first one, I call the vulture. You see a guy just lost a player to the D.L, and you see he has nobody on roster to cover the spot.

So, you as the vulture swoop in, and offer him a player to fill that specific roster spot. However, this does not come cheap, so what I am really doing is offering for the other guy to overpay to fix his roster situation NOW, as opposed to having to really work and agonize over it.

The other is the a-hole, which I also am trade wise. This guy makes no offers, but will accept them, if someone is silly enough to do so, and is silly enough to make an offer that is a clear winner for you.

Me.

Nice guy in life.

In all things fantasy ball though, not so much at all......

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 2 Traders that annoy me the most are:

1. the owner who always asks for your best players but never is willing to pay for them. " I am interested in Miguel Cabrera, but i am not going to give you anyone good, Quantity for quality" a lot like your low ball guy, but when it is repetetively for your best players it gets more annoying.

2. the my struggling players will rebound and my overachievers are not overachieving owners while your overachievers will normalize and your struggling players are just not as good as expected owners... For example they will offer mitch moreland for albert pujols- and claim that moreland is better than pujols...

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol @ The Manifesto Writer.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a great read! LOL. Good stuff Jim. I think I've been all of those owners at one time or another... except for the guy that always finished 6th or worse! :)

...and on that note, remember, Rollins is still for sale!

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I often do fall to be the manifesto writer... not 5 pages worth because i dont even know how to write for that long... but a good 2 paragraphs to convince doesnt hurt...

The other type of trader i cant stand is the one who doesnt look at the team that they are trading with... If my teams strength is MI, i do not want a MI to replace the pitcher that you want... Even if it is the most fair trade...

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The other type of trader i cant stand is the one who doesnt look at the team that they are trading with... If my teams strength is MI, i do not want a MI to replace the pitcher that you want... Even if it is the most fair trade...

AGREED!!!

This is especially bad when done on Yahoo. I say that, as they have a trading block option, where you can state exactly the players you are willing to trade, and the positions you are looking to get in return.

When this info is then esentially ignored, you know you have a doozy of a trade partner on your hands.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
offer mitch moreland for albert pujols- and claim that moreland is better than

Fucking Mitch Moreland. Ugh. Two years ago I had a guy repeatedly try and trade me him for my best players. I eventually changed my team name to "No I don't fucking want Mitch Moreland". He got the not so subtle hint.

Reverend Jim

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,275.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Guy Who Thinks Three 4s Equal A Ten
Been guilty of this one. I usually offer better players than the one's mentioned, but the quantity for quality trade I used many times in the past. After playing for years, I realize why those offers were rejected.

The Lowball Guy Who Tries To Wear You Down
Used this one in public leagues. There are usually a few idiots in those who you can swipe a struggling player for so start low and work your way up to mediocre.

The Manifesto Writer
I still do this, but only because I can't make a long story short.

The Guy with the "Now You See It, Now You Don't" Offer
I used to do this (and occasionally still do), but more often than not I just stare at the offer for a while to see if it speaks to me before I hit the send.

The Guy Who Never Responds
Never been this guy and I hate this guy. If you sign up to play, then play. Don't just let your team sit there because it sucks, otherwise you suck too.

The Indecisive Worrier
Can't say I've been this guy either. I get burned and I move on. Granted I don't forget getting burned, but I move on none the less.

The Vulture Trade
I don't usually do this as I like to have depth to cover myself incase of injury, but I have been the victim of this person. What I love (sarcasm) is when the person either A. offers you a player they just picked up off the waiver wire like a day or two ago or B. Offers you a player that is worse that what you can find on waivers.

Can't agree more with this one. Don't offer me a player for a position that is full or overfull. I always try to put myself in the other persons shoes and ask, does this trade help me if I had his team.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reverend Jim

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,275.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fucking Mitch Moreland. Ugh. Two years ago I had a guy repeatedly try and trade me him for my best players. I eventually changed my team name to "No I don't fucking want Mitch Moreland". He got the not so subtle hint.

:laugh3:

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read this article today on Y!. I thought they were missing a couple, but it seems you guys have filled in the holes nicely.

The one issue is the wavier wire pick-up trade. Sometimes, that player is no longer on waivers because their value has changed significantly in a short time. The best example is the case of a prospect call-up. If I beat my league mates to the next hyped prospect upon his recall, I can try to flip him right away if I don't have the need for his talents.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ironically enough guys, I finally gave up on Ike Davis. Who did I get? You guessed it, Mitch Moreland.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just did the Now You See It, Now You Don't" Offer...

I was sending alcides escobar and wade miley and getting lance lynn... Still not sure if that trade is good for me... I may put it back up... so confused...

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just did the Now You See It, Now You Don't" Offer...

I was sending alcides escobar and wade miley and getting lance lynn... Still not sure if that trade is good for me... I may put it back up... so confused...

I know Escobar is no world beater at SS, but, is there really that much difference between Miley & Lynn? And, don't you have concerns that Lynn may run into a dead arm period, like he did from I think June to September last year, before getting it back together very late last year?

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know Escobar is no world beater at SS, but, is there really that much difference between Miley & Lynn? And, don't you have concerns that Lynn may run into a dead arm period, like he did from I think June to September last year, before getting it back together very late last year?

Thats why i took it down... then i put up instead victorino and mccalister for lynn and pagan...

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats why i took it down... then i put up instead victorino and mccalister for lynn and pagan...

Be careful on Pagan. He is still dealing with an injury, and has been in a faily significant slump because of it. But, so now is Victorino, so....?

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ironically enough guys, I finally gave up on Ike Davis. Who did I get? You guessed it, Mitch Moreland.

That's funny, living in Texas I see the Rangers almost everyday, and I was just starting to get curious about Moreland.

Reverend Jim

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,275.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read this article today on Y!. I thought they were missing a couple, but it seems you guys have filled in the holes nicely.

The one issue is the wavier wire pick-up trade. Sometimes, that player is no longer on waivers because their value has changed significantly in a short time. The best example is the case of a prospect call-up. If I beat my league mates to the next hyped prospect upon his recall, I can try to flip him right away if I don't have the need for his talents.

and that kind of trade is fine. I have no problem with someone being a prospect hound, jumping on kids and quickly flipping them for a profit.

The kind I mind (and I have someone in my other league that used to be famous for this) is when someone picks up someone like Brandon Crawford for example. I picked him up because he was hot with full knowledge it wasn't gonna last. My friend would pick up a guy like this and pimp him out like he was Troy Tulowitzki wanting maximum value for a guaranteed soon to be mediocre player.

John Buck was recently traded in our league for Daniel Murphy, and that's pretty fair. But if someone owned Buck and tried to trade him like he was as valuable as Posey or Mauer, they can go screw.

I recently dropped Yuniesky Betancourt for Neil Walker. While he got off to a hot start I know (and everyone else knows) how this story will most likely end. I could have tried to trade him, but I don't think I would have gotten a better offer than Walker for him anyway so why bother.
Point is, for every player picked up that may be having a breakout or career year, there are 6 Cinderella's waiting to turn back into a pumpkin. Know the value of the of the player and don't get greedy.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I recently dropped Yuniesky Betancourt for Neil Walker. While he got off to a hot start I know (and everyone else knows) how this story will most likely end. I could have tried to trade him, but I don't think I would have gotten a better offer than Walker for him anyway so why bother.

And I still have and am using Yuni. Not that I want to, but, at the moment, he is just sucking less that Ryan Howard, so.......

Point is, for every player picked up that may be having a breakout or career year, there are 6 Cinderella's waiting to turn back into a pumpkin. Know the value of the of the player and don't get greedy.

Well, at least don't come off as greedy. And, on the flip side, I see nothing wrong with jobbing the other guy in a trade if you happen to have knowledge and info that other guy does not.

Fate favors the well prepared........

Reverend Jim

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,275.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And, on the flip side, I see nothing wrong with jobbing the other guy in a trade if you happen to have knowledge and info that other guy does not.
Fate favors the well prepared........
This usually only happens in public leagues. In private leagues with good owners, most people have similar knowledge so there is little chance of jobbing someone there.