• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Since Hextall

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since 5/7/2014 Ron Hextall has been the Flyers General Manager. They have made the following trades:

Scott Hartnell to Columbus for RJ Umberger and a 4th round pick (BAD)
Tye McGinn to San Jose for a 3rd round pick (Win)
Kimmo Timonen to Chicago for a 2nd round pick and a 4th round conditional (Win)
Braden Coburn to Tampa Bay for Radko Gudas, 1st round pick & 3rd round pick (WIN)
Nickolas Grossman & Chris Pronger to Arizona for Sam Ganger, 3rd & 4th round conditional picks (WIN)
Vincent Lecalier & Luke Schenn to Los Angeles for Jordan Weal & 3rd round pick (Win)
Mark Streit to Tampa Bay for Valteri Filppula, 4th round pick & 7th round conditional (Win)
Ncik Cousins & Merrick Madsen to Arizona for Brendan Warren & 5th round pick (Bad)
Brayden Schenn to St Louis for Jori Lehtera, 1st round pick & 1st round conditional pick (WIN)**
Dustin Tokarski from Anaheim for future considerations (even)
Peter Mrazek from Detroit for a conditional 3rd and conditional 4th (even)
Cooper Marody to Edmonton for a 3rd round pick (even)

So, the big quesiton mark is the long term on the St Louis trade. Yes, Brayden Schenn would be nice to have right now centering the third line. But we don't know how those picks are going to turn out.

His drafting has included

2014: Travis Sanheim, Nicholas Aube-Kubel, Oskar Lindblom
2015: Ivan Provorov, Travis Konecny, Felix Sandstrom, Mikhail Vorobyov, David Kase, Cooper Marody
2016: German Rubstrov, Pascal Laberge, Carter Hart, Wade Allison, Carsen Twarynski,
2017: Nolan Patrick, Morgan Frost, Isaac Ratcliffe
2018: Joel Farabee, Jay O'Brien

Where Hextal has dropped the ball when looking at the big picture is ensuring NHL quality depth at Center and Goalie. By moving Giroux away from Center and trading Brayden Schenn the Flyers lost two of their top three centers.

By letting Mason go, retaining Neuvirth and signing Elliot, the team married itself to a short term plan that was a potential disaster. This lead to overpaying for Mrazek as a stop gap last year and will undoubtedly lead to another overpayment for a goalie in the near future.

All of that said, Hextall has brought in a lot more to help this team in the long run than he has let walk. His moves have freed up cap space that was committed to players who could not compete.

Sadly, the team now has to face the fact that he hired a coach, for better or worse, whose system if not executed exactly leaves players exposed and when players don't commit to playing the details, they are prone to turnovers and those turnovers or leaving opponents wide open in prime scoring positions.

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was a lot more prescient that I thought when I put it together.
I fear that Hextall was dug in on his long term, don't move prospects, don't rush prospects, don't touch the coach.

Wonder who will be next. Will they go outside?

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep wbon, you pretty much nailed it. I just wish that Hextall would have got us a goalie who was consistent and remained healthy for at least more than one season.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Hextall might have bought a little too much into the Frost and Hart hype, as we probably all did. When it became clear that neither was ready he got caught with his pants down. Filling both 3C and Goalie holes via trade was going to cost more future assets than he was willing to part with, and by only filling one hole this still wasn't going to be a serious Cup contending team. If he only had one major hole he may very well have made a deal to fix it.

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Hextall might have bought a little too much into the Frost and Hart hype, as we probably all did. When it became clear that neither was ready he got caught with his pants down. Filling both 3C and Goalie holes via trade was going to cost more future assets than he was willing to part with, and by only filling one hole this still wasn't going to be a serious Cup contending team. If he only had one major hole he may very well have made a deal to fix it.

There was no hype for Morgan Frost. When he picked him, people when "Huh?"...then he had a huge year in Juniors and that's when the hype picked up. Everyone the night he was drafted said he was going to be need a couple of years to physically be ready for the NHL. How he handled the goalie situation and looking for a 3C ... I agree he should have dealt with the goaltending more aggressively. The 3C situation is even more vexed. Vorobyev, Weal...it Laughton, the problem is not just the center but the entire bottom 6. Any two of that three could be your 3c and 4c and the third could be one fo the wingers. But since JvR and Raffl got hurt in the first two games, all of the chemistry that appeared in the Pre-season was gone...would a more established center been able to raise above? perhaps.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was no hype for Morgan Frost. When he picked him, people when "Huh?"...then he had a huge year in Juniors and that's when the hype picked up. Everyone the night he was drafted said he was going to be need a couple of years to physically be ready for the NHL. How he handled the goalie situation and looking for a 3C ... I agree he should have dealt with the goaltending more aggressively. The 3C situation is even more vexed. Vorobyev, Weal...it Laughton, the problem is not just the center but the entire bottom 6. Any two of that three could be your 3c and 4c and the third could be one fo the wingers. But since JvR and Raffl got hurt in the first two games, all of the chemistry that appeared in the Pre-season was gone...would a more established center been able to raise above? perhaps.

I was referring to this past offseason regarding the hype for Frost, of which there was plenty, as perhaps the reason Hextall didn’t try harder to bring in a better 3C option at that point.

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was referring to this past offseason regarding the hype for Frost, of which there was plenty, as perhaps the reason Hextall didn’t try harder to bring in a better 3C option at that point.

I never got the feeling that Hexy was counting on either Hart or Frost being in the NHL before next season.