• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Simmonds

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-Meltzer-Musings-Waiting-Game/45/36900

Meltzer seems to think that TB will want Giroux as the starting point for a deal involving Stamkos. He doesn't think Stamkos will be moved though.

Pshhh. The link didn't work, but there's no fucking way we give up Giroux at $3.75 million for Stamkos at $8 million. Even straight-up that looks like a sorry move on our part. Besides, Giroux may end up being as good a playmaker as Stamkos is a goal scorer.

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pshhh. The link didn't work, but there's no fucking way we give up Giroux at $3.75 million for Stamkos at $8 million. Even straight-up that looks like a sorry move on our part. Besides, Giroux may end up being as good a playmaker as Stamkos is a goal scorer.

Trust me, I do NOT want to lose Giroux. However, Stamkos is arguably the best player in the league so the asking price is going to be very high. That's why people need to think about the pro's and con's of a trade for Stamkos. The Flyers would have to give up some very significant pieces to get him...and it might not even make the team any better when it's all said and done.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trust me, I do NOT want to lose Giroux. However, Stamkos is arguably the best player in the league so the asking price is going to be very high. That's why people need to think about the pro's and con's of a trade for Stamkos. The Flyers would have to give up some very significant pieces to get him...and it might not even make the team any better when it's all said and done.

It sure as hell wouldn't make the team any better if Giroux were just a "starting point" in the deal...lol His cap hit on his current deal is an absolute steal. The best value on our team easy.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The point is that Giroux at $3.75 million is way better than Stamkos at $8 million or even $7 million.

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The point is that Giroux at $3.75 million is way better than Stamkos at $8 million or even $7 million.

Agreed...that's a big part of the reason that Yzerman would possibly take that deal. Giroux is a great player with a manageable cap hit which allows them to still go out and get some other pieces as well. The Flyers would have to think long and hard about it before agreeing to a type of deal like that. It will take a lot for Stamkos so the Flyers would have to sacrifice something of value to get him whether it be a great player (or two or three), cap space, or both.

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't even want this trade. Giroux and JVR have to stay put. Let Stamkos go and resign Simmonds and get get a Arnott type player and enjoy the summer. I love the young guys we have. Don't cripple the roster for one player. Please TB sign the friggin bastard already.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't even want this trade. Giroux and JVR have to stay put. Let Stamkos go and resign Simmonds and get get a Arnott type player and enjoy the summer. I love the young guys we have. Don't cripple the roster for one player. Please TB sign the friggin bastard already.

Exactly. It's not worth the headache unless we can acquire Stamkos without losing one of our top two or three players at forward or defense.

soulxflare

Arrive. Raise Hell. Leave.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed...that's a big part of the reason that Yzerman would possibly take that deal. Giroux is a great player with a manageable cap hit which allows them to still go out and get some other pieces as well. The Flyers would have to think long and hard about it before agreeing to a type of deal like that. It will take a lot for Stamkos so the Flyers would have to sacrifice something of value to get him whether it be a great player (or two or three), cap space, or both.

No thought necessary. Both Giroux and JvR would be 100% off-limits in a Stamkos deal, IMO. If that is what Stevie Y wants, and won't bargain, then we move on.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
glad people are coming around..

stamkos doesn't make players around him better, giroux does.

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uhhh if we could sign him at a deal that doesn't break the bank, then yes, definitely.

Me too but for that scenario to work we would probably have to shed some salary.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me too but for that scenario to work we would probably have to shed some salary.

Right, but I think we're in a position right now where we could shed that salary with just one or two moves that wouldn't drastically alter the team.

soulxflare

Arrive. Raise Hell. Leave.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right, but I think we're in a position right now where we could shed that salary with just one or two moves that wouldn't drastically alter the team.

Agreed. At this point, we'd be able to move Hartnell/Carle for picks -- and replace them with a cheaper alternative.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. At this point, we'd be able to move Hartnell/Carle for picks -- and replace them with a cheaper alternative.

And either of those moves clears the space for a $7 million player. That is why the Flyers are still in this discussion.

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes, but that's if TB (or whoever) even wants Hartnell and if he agrees to waive his NTC.

Last edited by a moderator:

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i would definitely do bob, schenn, and a future first

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schenn's cap hit would then be gone too, which means only a minor move or two would need to be made in order to sign Stamkos.