• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sick & tired of every team resting their starters

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Spurs started this trend a few years ago and now other teams are following. Atlanta already started resting their players on 2 consecutive Saturday night, Memphis did last night, & Golden State doing the same tonight. I also notice that all these teams excluding the Spurs always do it on the road.

Feel bad for the fans who paid to see a good game only to find out the opponent is resting several of their players.

Shit like this makes you not want to buy tickets for nba games after the AS break. Silver should do something

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Spurs didn't start this trend, they just popularized it. The 80's Lakers and Celtics used to do this as well. The only difference was that they would usually play the starters for most of the 1st quarter and then sit them for the rest of the game.

Pop has also perfected it as he tends to rest his guys throughout the season rather than just at the end of the season. I don't really have a problem with it. The head coaches job is to get his team to the playoffs as healthy as possible and this is a good way to do it.

Fans who take issue with it need to think about what they would think if one of their best players wasn't available for the playoffs because he got hurt playing is a meaningless game vs. a last place team.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a fan I wouldn't expect teams to start resting players at the end of February/early March. Usually teams rest their players in very late march/early April. If I'm a hawks fan in Miami & bought tickets for the February 28th game, no way in hell am I thinking they'll rest 4 starters in February

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Spurs started this trend a few years ago and now other teams are following. Atlanta already started resting their players on 2 consecutive Saturday night, Memphis did last night, & Golden State doing the same tonight. I also notice that all these teams excluding the Spurs always do it on the road.

Feel bad for the fans who paid to see a good game only to find out the opponent is resting several of their players.

Shit like this makes you not want to buy tickets for nba games after the AS break. Silver should do something

Memphis caught me last night, didn't know they were resting, bet money (SportsHoopla vCash) on Memphis. Shouldn't have done it anyway (WAS at home), but them resting upset me a bit.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't bitch too much, they could be hurt and out for weeks/months. :L

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Simple. Reduce the total amount of games. Clearly these teams are telling the nba that an 82 season consists of too many meaningless games.

Make it 62 game season. More meaning out there.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it helps increase the quality of the playoffs then I'm all for it. 82 games is too much anyways. Always has been…

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's a legitimate way to protect your players though and clearly demonstrates why the NBA needs to change the scheduling. Look at the line up of injured players this year out for the season. Seems pretty high to me. If the NBA wants to continue making good money, then they need to deliver a better product. I understand how you feel, but when the Miami Heat has to play the best team in the Western Conference on the fifth game in seven or 8 days, then they might as well rest their starters because their chances of winning is going to be better. As I recall, the first time Popovich did that, his reserves almost won.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Players are always going to get injured.

Blaming the schedule on injuries is stupid. You can get injured playing a pick up game in a scrimmage as Paul George did.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Blaming the schedule on injuries is stupid. You can get injured playing a pick up game in a scrimmage as Paul George did.

I think it's garbage. The fans pay to see these guys play. These guys are elite athletes and can handle playing each game. As you say, players can get injured at any time.

The 82 game season is fine. It's been 82 games for a long time now. Only recently has there been this trend to rest players. If a player is healthy but is scratched for "rest", the team should be fined. The players get a few extra days to rest now during the All-Star break. Maybe add a couple of weeks to the regular season so there are less B2Bs and 4in5s.

Kobe played through countless injuries because he felt it was his duty to perform for and entertain the fans who pay money to see just that. It's a bit of a sham that an elite athlete like Lebron has to take games off to rest.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's going to happen more though when you put your starters through that many games, the chances of injury are practically guaranteed. I have had professional trainers tell me, that after each work out, the muscles I worked on need 48 hours to recover, but they aren't getting that and are working muscles that need to be resting. The NBA is forcing them into injuries with back to back games.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Players today are not like the ones we grew up watching. These guys today are weak and lazy. They aren't conditioned to play like real men. Next to players like Michael Jordan - Dwight Howard for example is a little boy pretending to be a man.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Players today are not like the ones we grew up watching. These guys today are weak and lazy. They aren't conditioned to play like real men. Next to players like Michael Jordan - Dwight Howard for example is a little boy pretending to be a man.

still mad dwight left?

Dwight is a pretty shitty example.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I call bullshit. The difference between now and then is that people get their every moved blown up on social media and in this technological age nothing goes unnoticed. If we had the same technology and access to players that we do now back then, then I promise you things would've been different.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Simple. Reduce the total amount of games. Clearly these teams are telling the nba that an 82 season consists of too many meaningless games.

Make it 62 game season. More meaning out there.

If it helps increase the quality of the playoffs then I'm all for it. 82 games is too much anyways. Always has been…

It'll never happen. There would be way too much lost revenue.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't complain. I made a nice chunk of vcash on the Mem/Wsh game because of it.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I call bullshit. The difference between now and then is that people get their every moved blown up on social media and in this technological age nothing goes unnoticed. If we had the same technology and access to players that we do now back then, then I promise you things would've been different.
The players are much softer today then they was 30 years because the game has changed so much. Players used to play three games in a row in neutral site stadiums, then they down sized it to back to back games, then they started tightening up what was flagrant foul and while I agree with all of those changes, these players would never hold up to the players like Karl Malone, Stocton, Perrish, Walton and the other.

hockey878

Hoopla Cash
$ 300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
basically the coaches/players way of protesting the schedule logistics. is it right? no. but they are trying to prove a point, and will cite fan disappointment under these circumstances during the next CBA

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't know why any fan would ever buy season tickets. I understand why businesses do it. the nba and nhl regular seasons are a waste of time. too many teams make the playoffs, they play too many games, and the title contenders will always get in. it hasnt caught on yet but attendance will drop in the future. what the spurs started is just the beginning. LeBron taking a vacation in the middle of the season will be the norm. silver needs to get a backbone and do something about it instead of playing buddy to the players.