• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Shut up and dribble

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It’s true. Lebron James is not a college graduate. But understand this. The most valuable knowledge often comes from life experiences that a college degree cannot offer. Education happens everyday in life, not just in the classroom. A college degree is not and should not be the barometer in which we use to measure one’s intelligence.

This perception that athletes are somehow not qualified to speak on issues outside of sports is highly disrespectful and it highlights this country’s misguided value system. “Shut up and dribble” is the modern-day form of obedience that they want athletes of color to adhere to

It’s an attempt to silence athletes as talking heads like Laura Ingraham exercise their privilege. But who is she to attack another man’s credibility? Especially LeBron James, who despite being in the spotlight and under the microscope of critics since he was 17, has never gotten in trouble with the law, is a family man, a philanthropist, and an inspiration to millions around the world; especially to kids with lesser opportunities.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It’s true. Lebron James is not a college graduate. But understand this. The most valuable knowledge often comes from life experiences that a college degree cannot offer. Education happens everyday in life, not just in the classroom. A college degree is not and should not be the barometer in which we use to measure one’s intelligence.

This perception that athletes are somehow not qualified to speak on issues outside of sports is highly disrespectful and it highlights this country’s misguided value system. “Shut up and dribble” is the modern-day form of obedience that they want athletes of color to adhere to

It’s an attempt to silence athletes as talking heads like Laura Ingraham exercise their privilege. But who is she to attack another man’s credibility? Especially LeBron James, who despite being in the spotlight and under the microscope of critics since he was 17, has never gotten in trouble with the law, is a family man, a philanthropist, and an inspiration to millions around the world; especially to kids with lesser opportunities.

I agree with much of this, however, there is also a time and place. Just because athletes and/or other celebrities have achieved a certain level of fame/success, doesn't make them any smarter or any more in touch with what is going on than regular people who aren't famous. Imo, we put far too much emphasis on what famous people think for no better reason than they are famous.

I don't watch sports, movies, television, awards shows or listen to music to hear about the athlete, actor, musicians political/social views (exceptions of course being movies, tv shows or music where the politics/social message is necessary to the story).

Because of their status, they can get the media to listen to them and print/broadcast their views any time they want. So, call a presser, call someone for an interview, whatever and I'll watch/listen.

But before, during and after games, award shows, etc. I don't care about your politics or anyone else's. In fact, part of the reason I'm watching is to get away from all of that crap. That goes for all athletes/entertainers regardless of color, gender or sexual orientation.

If my employer found out I was making a bunch of political/social statements to clients during the performance of my job, I probably wouldn't have my job for too much longer. It's not what they're paying me for and it's not what our clients are paying for. The same holds true for athletes, etc.

Additionally, it's not like those same athlete's/entertainers, etc. don't try to shut down those in their own industries who have a different point of view. So let's not pretend it doesn't work both ways.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with much of this, however, there is also a time and place. Just because athletes and/or other celebrities have achieved a certain level of fame/success, doesn't make them any smarter or any more in touch with what is going on than regular people who aren't famous. Imo, we put far too much emphasis on what famous people think for no better reason than they are famous.

I don't watch sports, movies, television, awards shows or listen to music to hear about the athlete, actor, musicians political/social views (exceptions of course being movies, tv shows or music where the politics/social message is necessary to the story).

Because of their status, they can get the media to listen to them and print/broadcast their views any time they want. So, call a presser, call someone for an interview, whatever and I'll watch/listen.

But before, during and after games, award shows, etc. I don't care about your politics or anyone else's. In fact, part of the reason I'm watching is to get away from all of that crap. That goes for all athletes/entertainers regardless of color, gender or sexual orientation.

If my employer found out I was making a bunch of political/social statements to clients during the performance of my job, I probably wouldn't have my job for too much longer. It's not what they're paying me for and it's not what our clients are paying for. The same holds true for athletes, etc.

Additionally, it's not like those same athlete's/entertainers, etc. don't try to shut down those in their own industries who have a different point of view. So let's not pretend it doesn't work both ways.

I appreciate the honest response.

And I can agree with most of your points as well.

When it comes to "Shut up and dribble" or with Colin Kaepernick, I don't think any of these athletes are claiming that they know more or are more qualified to speak on these issues than anybody. That's not the point.

Because unfortunately, the people that are the most articulate and have the best logical thinking minds usually don't get their voices heard. So when these athletes highlight issues of discrimination, their platform allows them to reach a larger audience. The goal initially is to get the message across, to spread awareness, and from there the people that are touched and influenced by the movement will a) be interested enough to do further research and link with the great minds of social justice and learn from them or b) start making changes themselves

As for being able to tune off the politics, I can totally feel everyone's frustration with that. It's like an extra layer of advertisement that we have to sift through right? But not everyone is able to tune away from real life situations like that. As a minority when the Seahawk games end, I can't turn off the fact that I am colored. I live and breathe the life of a colored person and it follows me wherever I go.

Athletes pushing the agenda of social justice during sporting events has a purpose. It is so people can't tune it out. Because otherwise if there was a choice not to watch it, 90 % of people would choose not to hear it. There are the select few like yourself, who love sports, but also cares enough to listen to these social issues (and for that I say thank you), but not everyone is like that.

People are too fixated on their own lives to care about things outside of their bubble unless it is directly affecting them. But that's how the government wants things to be. They want all of us (the people) divided and bickering with each other about race, social economic standings, political affiliation, etc. so they can freely operate and make changes to the country that will directly benefit them and their people in their social economic class.

Regardless of our minor disagreement on this topic I do appreciate the dialogue. Only through this can will bridge together our differences and come to a better understanding of one another.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

shut up and stop posting.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

When it comes to "Shut up and dribble" or with Colin Kaepernick, I don't think any of these athletes are claiming that they know more or are more qualified to speak on these issues than anybody. That's not the point.

Because unfortunately, the people that are the most articulate and have the best logical thinking minds usually don't get their voices heard. So when these athletes highlight issues of discrimination, their platform allows them to reach a larger audience. The goal initially is to get the message across, to spread awareness, and from there the people that are touched and influenced by the movement will a) be interested enough to do further research and link with the great minds of social justice and learn from them or b) start making changes themselves

As for being able to tune off the politics, I can totally feel everyone's frustration with that. It's like an extra layer of advertisement that we have to sift through right? But not everyone is able to tune away from real life situations like that. As a minority when the Seahawk games end, I can't turn off the fact that I am colored. I live and breathe the life of a colored person and it follows me wherever I go.

Athletes pushing the agenda of social justice during sporting events has a purpose. It is so people can't tune it out. Because otherwise if there was a choice not to watch it, 90 % of people would choose not to hear it. There are the select few like yourself, who love sports, but also cares enough to listen to these social issues (and for that I say thank you), but not everyone is like that.

People are too fixated on their own lives to care about things outside of their bubble unless it is directly affecting them. But that's how the government wants things to be. They want all of us (the people) divided and bickering with each other about race, social economic standings, political affiliation, etc. so they can freely operate and make changes to the country that will directly benefit them and their people in their social economic class.

Regardless of our minor disagreement on this topic I do appreciate the dialogue. Only through this can will bridge together our differences and come to a better understanding of one another.

It is easy to shut up and dribble.

While I may not always agree with the agenda or the opinion, I respect any public figure willing to put their ideas out there in public forum. It is a risky move for these guys, but they realize they have a platform and an obligation to people less fortunate than them.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
shut up and stop posting.

I am willing to have an adult conversation with you whether we agree or disagree on these topics. But if that's too much for you feel free to exit.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am willing to have an adult conversation with you whether we agree or disagree on these topics. But if that's too much for you feel free to exit.
Hey. Shut up. Okay?

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with many of your points. For me, I think sometimes the LeBron thing gets too be too much because I live in NE Ohio and have heard about him since he was in HS. I agree his philanthropy is admirable and yes he has lived a respectable life. I just get hung up sometimes on the unethical things that took place when he was in high school.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agree with most of and appreciate everything you said.

The bold, however, represents exactly my issue with mixing politics/social issues with sports. When athlete's give thanks to God during post game interviews, there always those who claim "they're cramming their religion down my throat" and say they don't want religion mixed in with their sports. Why should it be any different when it comes to politics/social issues?

I would love for us to have a world, not where everyone agrees all the time (that would be boring), but where there can be civil dialogue. The problem, imo, with athletes using games to express their views is exactly what happened with Kaepernik and other players kneeling during the national anthem. The original message was lost. Imo, a big part of the reason it was lost was because people didn't want politics/social issues mixed in with their football. Also, because Kaepernik just started doing it without ever saying why, people immediately reached their own conclusions as to why. So the message was essentially lost before it ever had a chance to get out.

Because of that, the debate became about players disrespecting the flag instead of injustice. Imo, if he had made his point via having a press conference where he said "Hey, this issue is happening, it's important, this is what I want to do about it", he may not have reached as many people, but his message wouldn't have gotten lost either and maybe more would have been accomplished.

Also, I don't think politics/social issues should never mix with sports. I just think it should be short and sweet and only done once. An example of what I mean is when the recording of Donald Sterlings racist rant got out. Players/teams used the next game to make a visual statement of some kind (I think the Clippers all put their jerseys in a pile at midcourt before the game) and pretty much moved on. They were, of course, asked about throughout the season and answered those questions. But it wasn't some season long thing and the players weren't making unsolicited statements about it all season.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with most of and appreciate everything you said.

The bold, however, represents exactly my issue with mixing politics/social issues with sports. When athlete's give thanks to God during post game interviews, there always those who claim "they're cramming their religion down my throat" and say they don't want religion mixed in with their sports. Why should it be any different when it comes to politics/social issues?

I would love for us to have a world, not where everyone agrees all the time (that would be boring), but where there can be civil dialogue. The problem, imo, with athletes using games to express their views is exactly what happened with Kaepernik and other players kneeling during the national anthem. The original message was lost. Imo, a big part of the reason it was lost was because people didn't want politics/social issues mixed in with their football. Also, because Kaepernik just started doing it without ever saying why, people immediately reached their own conclusions as to why. So the message was essentially lost before it ever had a chance to get out.

Because of that, the debate became about players disrespecting the flag instead of injustice. Imo, if he had made his point via having a press conference where he said "Hey, this issue is happening, it's important, this is what I want to do about it", he may not have reached as many people, but his message wouldn't have gotten lost either and maybe more would have been accomplished.

Also, I don't think politics/social issues should never mix with sports. I just think it should be short and sweet and only done once. An example of what I mean is when the recording of Donald Sterlings racist rant got out. Players/teams used the next game to make a visual statement of some kind (I think the Clippers all put their jerseys in a pile at midcourt before the game) and pretty much moved on. They were, of course, asked about throughout the season and answered those questions. But it wasn't some season long thing and the players weren't making unsolicited statements about it all season.

To be fair the Sterling thing was a much smaller issue than police killing unarmed black men.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair the Sterling thing was a much smaller issue than police killing unarmed black men.

True. Which is all the more reason to make a statement about it in a way that keeps the message from getting lost.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Smaller issue to be sure. Still extremely important to the Clipper players and the rest of the league.