• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

should we have started Kaep from beginning of season?

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The Seahawks did this with Wilson over Flynn, and Wilson was a rookie.

If Harbaugh planned to do this, it might have been better just to declare Kaep the starter from week one. Has Kaep really progressed in the last 11 weeks?

He could have started from day one and had more experience under his belt.

And we'd still have Alex (probably the same Alex) as backup.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly I am shocked Harbaugh went with Smith at the start of the year if he thinks this much of Kaep. I dont really see it yet. He looked great vs the Bears but very pedestrian yesterday vs New Orleans. I think you are taking a pretty big risk by changing your starter this late. You risk losing the vets IMO. Of course if the D plays like they did yesterday then I could probably play QB and the Niners would be fine. LOL.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starting Smith was the right move IMO. Maybe Kap didn't show enough to overtake Alex? plus Alex is a vet and LED this exact team basically to the NFC title game.

Playing in Lambeau to start the season? it was Alex from the start and the good call. Alex help us to a 6-2-1 this year.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly I am shocked Harbaugh went with Smith at the start of the year if he thinks this much of Kaep. I dont really see it yet. He looked great vs the Bears but very pedestrian yesterday vs New Orleans. I think you are taking a pretty big risk by changing your starter this late. You risk losing the vets IMO. Of course if the D plays like they did yesterday then I could probably play QB and the Niners would be fine. LOL.

I'm surprised more people are not seeing this. He was just OK. Made a bad, bad INT and just a terrible decision on the goal line throw to Moss where Moss saved him from another INT.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pedestrian my ass. He basically froze the Saints offense with a 9+ minute drive going into the 4th quarter, 4th longest of the season for any team. His ability to convert on 3rd and longs is superior and we more or less shut it down offensively in the 4th quarter with regards to throwing the ball. He didn't get sacked once, IIRC. He had two bad throws, one that was picked. Other then that, the kid played a pretty good game. His big play ability over the past two games is a clear indicator for me that we are in for a treat once this kid gets fully acclimated to the NFL and its many complex defenses.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

last week this was a concern for me too.....what the other players thought? the team can't take giant steps without the players buying in, but only the Coaches can 'read' the pulse of the team?

so far, we've only read positive player comments on Kaep.

we can't use the Chicago game as the measuring stick, that would be unfair expectations. Kaep wasn't great like Monday night, but he did better than 'pedestrain'.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
last week this was a concern for me too.....what the other players thought? the team can't take giant steps without the players buying in, but only the Coaches can 'read' the pulse of the team?

so far, we've only read positive player comments on Kaep.

we can't use the Chicago game as the measuring stick, that would be unfair expectations. Kaep wasn't great like Monday night, but he did better than 'pedestrain'.

Well, let's not forget that the Saints have the worst ranked defense in the league. The Niner defense won this one.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starting Smith was the right move IMO. Maybe Kap didn't show enough to overtake Alex? plus Alex is a vet and LED this exact team basically to the NFC title game.

Playing in Lambeau to start the season? it was Alex from the start and the good call. Alex help us to a 6-2-1 this year.

Alex Smith played third fiddle to the defense and running game last year. He did not LEAD anyone anywhere.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm surprised more people are not seeing this. He was just OK. Made a bad, bad INT and just a terrible decision on the goal line throw to Moss where Moss saved him from another INT.

Well the offense itself isn't going to shift to create 300 yard passers. It should remain the same but now with a QB willing/capable of pulling the trigger and make the bigger plays(when needed) more consistent and as some opposing defendors say, extend the play for the niners offense.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex Smith played third fiddle to the defense and running game last year. He did not LEAD anyone anywhere.

AHHH i forseen this response.

He played efficient and managed not to lose. Its still a defensive team even with Kap. (Kap allows the offense to be more explosive)

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well, let's not forget that the Saints have the worst ranked defense in the league. The Niner defense won this one.

yes, no doubt our defense played great.

also yes, we expected more stats due to the Saints poor defense.

but this doesn't take everything away from Kaep, unless you only measure him by stats? he operated the offense and did what he was supposed to do, save one INT. he wasn't great like Monday night, but he played ok.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AHHH i forseen this response.

He played efficient and managed not to lose. Its still a defensive team even with Kap. (Kap allows the offense to be more explosive)

Of course it is, and I doubt it will be Kaep to LEAD the 49ers to a SB this season too. My point still stands, though. The only LED Alex Smith had was in his pencil last year.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kaep was not pedestrian in either game. His first two starts were against tough opponents and he got 2 wins. He made a bad decision to throw the ball off the ground. The one to Moss was just a bad throw. Maybe he thought to go back shoulder, but it was a bad throw. Alex Smith has played pretty good this year, but the offense just looks... slow with him in there. For lack of a better word. Kaep makes the offense less predictable, and more explosive as Calamity said.

If Alex Smith played and had the same game, would that have been Alex Smith played a good game, or would it have been pedestrian?

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

In this case you can't go by their ranking because their defense played horrible early on but has played better in recent weeks. Granted it's still not a great defense but it's not the same awful defense you say early on the year.

CK didn't play brilliant like he did against the Bears but overall I thought he had a good game. His second start in the Superdome against a hot Saints team with plenty to play wasn't a recipe for a 400 yard 5 TD game.

My take from it is he showed why he's the better option to start then Smith is. Many times I thought to myself "If that was Smith it would've been a sack" but CK was able to move around, avoid the sack, and do something with the ball. Also his ability to rocket the ball to the guys is going to allow them more wiggle room to get some YAC and he's just more willing to push the ball downfield and not dump it 3rd and long and hope for the best.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There were several games last year where Smith played well and he was simply brilliant in the playoff game against the Saints.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the offense itself isn't going to shift to create 300 yard passers. It should remain the same but now with a QB willing/capable of pulling the trigger and make the bigger plays(when needed) more consistent and as some opposing defendors say, extend the play for the niners offense.

That is the biggest difference. He can make a play on the run, Smith cannot.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes, no doubt our defense played great.

also yes, we expected more stats due to the Saints poor defense.

but this doesn't take everything away from Kaep, unless you only measure him by stats? he operated the offense and did what he was supposed to do, save one INT. he wasn't great like Monday night, but he played ok.

The exact words I've been using to describe his performance yesterday.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In this case you can't go by their ranking because their defense played horrible early on but has played better in recent weeks. Granted it's still not a great defense but it's not the same awful defense you say early on the year.

CK didn't play brilliant like he did against the Bears but overall I thought he had a good game. His second start in the Superdome against a hot Saints team with plenty to play wasn't a recipe for a 400 yard 5 TD game.

My take from it is he showed why he's the better option to start then Smith is. Many times I thought to myself "If that was Smith it would've been a sack" but CK was able to move around, avoid the sack, and do something with the ball. Also his ability to rocket the ball to the guys is going to allow them more wiggle room to get some YAC and he's just more willing to push the ball downfield and not dump it 3rd and long and hope for the best.

That's the biggest difference right there.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
That's the biggest difference right there.

Eventually his ability to push the ball down the field is going to make a difference.

I felt both the Bears and Saints were counting on seeing the run and daring CK to beat them. For the most part he's risen to the challenge and teams are going to have to account more for his passing prowess which is going to open up the run game big time.

I think that's the biggest reason Harbaugh wants CK in there because the ability to attack every inch of the field on the ground and air is a deadly combo for any defense to contend with.