• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should Odell Beckham Jr. Be Traded?

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You certainly wouldn't hear me complaining about trading for him, but something tells me if they are gonna fire a major bullet like this it would be for defense.

Once Kitchens stepped in, the Browns were a top 5 (maybe top 2-3) offense in the second half. And did so with a rookie who hadn't played in more than a year (Callaway), a guy who had done next to nothing and had even been cut once (Higgins) and another who was cast off by his old team (Perriman)...along with Landry.

I am one of those who thinks QBs make the WRs. Not coincidence no matter who stepped in at WR in NE, NO, GB, Pittsburgh, Indy (as long as QB was healthy) they never skipped a beat.
Very good points. If we had the option of paying a big salary on offense or defense, I'd definitely take defense. I'm wondering if they're going to bother looking at Suh, Wilkerson, or Mohammed considering the talent in the draft. I think Mike Pennel would be a smart signing. He'd be cheap, and while he's not great at getting to the QB, he was very good against the run, which is what we desperately need to improve on.

Ronald Darby could be an interesting FA signing, but another name that could be interesting is a reunion with Pierre Desir. He's a solid CB who would be fantastic as a #2 opposite Ward.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very good points. If we had the option of paying a big salary on offense or defense, I'd definitely take defense. I'm wondering if they're going to bother looking at Suh, Wilkerson, or Mohammed considering the talent in the draft. I think Mike Pennel would be a smart signing. He'd be cheap, and while he's not great at getting to the QB, he was very good against the run, which is what we desperately need to improve on.

Ronald Darby could be an interesting FA signing, but another name that could be interesting is a reunion with Pierre Desir. He's a solid CB who would be fantastic as a #2 opposite Ward.
At the time I thought it was nuts to pay two firsts for Mack, but now I kind of wish they would have. Really, you'd only be giving up one player as you would have Mack.

I think they will do what they did last year and go after guys off rookie deals....though could see them being more aggressive to take advantage of having all our studs still on rookie deals.

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OBJ and AB both to the 49ers. That would be drama all the time.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
There'd have to be a franchise QB lots of teams desperately want for the VaGiants to make that move. Not sure that's going to be the case in 2019.

If the best player on the board is Q. Williams, then the 6 + ODB would be significantly too much for the 2 IMO. It's always hard to tell what trade value players have, but I don't think that would be enough for the VaGiants unless there's the QB.

The scarcity of quality QBs in this draft may cause teams to get jumpy to grab a potential franchise QB and we've seen time and time again teams willing to trade up and "overdraft" guys.

But I do agree that the Giants probably won't look to move up but it just wouldn't surprise me that if they did would pull off #6 and OBJ for #2.

We won't really have an idea until after the combine because I think once teams get a hold of these QBs in the interview process that's when teams really start to love a guy or start to fall out of love with them.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The scarcity of quality QBs in this draft may cause teams to get jumpy to grab a potential franchise QB and we've seen time and time again teams willing to trade up and "overdraft" guys.

But I do agree that the Giants probably won't look to move up but it just wouldn't surprise me that if they did would pull off #6 and OBJ for #2.

We won't really have an idea until after the combine because I think once teams get a hold of these QBs in the interview process that's when teams really start to love a guy or start to fall out of love with them.

I would think it would take more then swapping picks to obtain ODJ.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

If the Giants were to trade up for the #2 pick it would roughly be something like #6, a future 1st, 2nd, 4, and maybe a future 3rd and 4th. If that was a trade package for OBJ it would pretty sizable.

And if the Giants do have their hearts set on a QB the #2 all but locks them into getting their guy and that's something the other teams can offer.

I'd call it a win win for both sides IF the Giants have targeted a top QB prospect. The trade would allow the Giants to grab their future franchise QB and still have draft picks to build up the team around him just for trading away a guy that aren't in love with having on their team and is ultimately a luxury. The 9ers get the receiver they covet and at #6 are still in position to get a pass rusher.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Giants were to trade up for the #2 pick it would roughly be something like #6, a future 1st, 2nd, 4, and maybe a future 3rd and 4th.

Would it take that much...with this draft class? I'd check with the Jets and then the Raiders to see if I could work out something more reasonable if I was the Giants. It's not like the 49ers or Jets are drafting a QB. Maybe the Raiders want a new QB IDK, maybe they won't mind waiting until 1.6. Maybe the Giants don't mind taking their chances with the 1.6 vs paying a kings ransom to move up to 1.2.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IDK. Just think it would take more then moving up 4 spots in the draft.

With how everyone now goes crazy for the QB position, the known baggage you can get with Beckham, and previous examples of moving up that many positions....I think you can make a case that SF may require more. I guess we'll see.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With how everyone now goes crazy for the QB position, the known baggage you can get with Beckham, and previous examples of moving up that many positions....I think you can make a case that SF may require more. I guess we'll see.
Since neither the 49ers or Jets are going to draft a QB in the first round the Giants have some options. Multiple teams wanting to move back a bit makes the cost of moving up cheaper in theory.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OBJ has some control here. He wants to be traded but not to a losing team like the Giants. He's told the Giants where he would accept a trade and nowhere else. I don't think SF is one of the teams he's selected as his preferable landing spot. We know New England is one his preferred teams and the Giants and Patriots almost pulled the trigger last September but the Giants got cold feet at the last minute. He must be pissed that he didn't get to play for a ring.

No one is going to trade for him if he's not going to report.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Browns should consider it

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Would it take that much...with this draft class? I'd check with the Jets and then the Raiders to see if I could work out something more reasonable if I was the Giants. It's not like the 49ers or Jets are drafting a QB. Maybe the Raiders want a new QB IDK, maybe they won't mind waiting until 1.6. Maybe the Giants don't mind taking their chances with the 1.6 vs paying a kings ransom to move up to 1.2.

Just depends on a team's evaluation of a QB class. If the Giants for the sake of argument are high only on Haskins you don't want to get overly cute and hope you can get him cheaper by not moving up as high.

A team like the Jaguars are only one spot behind you and they might move to #2 to grab Haskins because they know other teams are interested in him.

If you're not that high on any of the QBs you're better off not drafting them at #6 anyways.

Giants are in a tough spot because it's extremely rare to get a QB prospect that's almost a can't miss and if a highly touted prospect does come out you can't be sure you'll be in a position to grab them.

You don't want to be like the Browns to where you're bad to mediocre because you keep punting on drafting a QB year after year until you have absolutely no choice but to take a chance on one.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since neither the 49ers or Jets are going to draft a QB in the first round the Giants have some options. Multiple teams wanting to move back a bit makes the cost of moving up cheaper in theory.

I don't know if it's the case when multiple teams are trying to out gun QB-needy teams to get their guy. If SF aren't offered a deal to their liking to move down, they can sit there and get pretty much any guy they want...and they know it. Teams like the Giants, OTOH, are in a position where (if they are hell bent on getting a QB) they have to offer more to ensure they get their guy....especially in a case of leapfrogging other teams.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Pretty sure the Giants can go 4-12 without him just as easily as they did with him.

Yeah, but the Niners can't take that risk. Gimpy Garoppolo needs ODB to maintain the current level of greatness. VaGiants better give him up!

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would look at it the other way.
Throughout History. moving up to the #1 or #2 pick took a king's ransom. Players in general are always trade for less than their worth. (with a couple exceptions)

Wouldnt surprise me if it cost more than OBJ to move up to #2.

Most important question though is this.
What is OBJ's cap hit if traded. Might be a moot point.

To answer the OP's question. if the cap hit is cool.
Absolutely trade him somewhere.
By the time the Giants are relevant again with a quality QB at the earliest. OBJ would be seeking his next contract. That is just to much money to waste. Waiting for a team to come around.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would look at it the other way.
Throughout History. moving up to the #1 or #2 pick took a king's ransom. Players in general are always trade for less than their worth. (with a couple exceptions)

Wouldnt surprise me if it cost more than OBJ to move up to #2.

Most important question though is this.
What is OBJ's cap hit if traded. Might be a moot point.

To answer the OP's question. if the cap hit is cool.
Absolutely trade him somewhere.
By the time the Giants are relevant again with a quality QB at the earliest. OBJ would be seeking his next contract. That is just to much money to waste. Waiting for a team to come around.

16 million $ cap hit to trade him before the post June date that allows them to move some of the cap hit into next year. So I highly doubt OBJ is getting moved to move up into the draft.

From what I've heard only the Jags and Giants are considered teams looking to get a QB and the Jags are supposedly favorites to sign Foles, so why give away the farm in any fashion to move up. Not much hype with this rookie class at QB, at least not yet.

Don't you think OBJ would be a nice crutch for a young QB? I do.

I don't think this years draft has many teams moving to the top of the draft if any.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Odell Beckham Trade Rumors: Raiders, 49ers 'Strong Suitors' If Giants Move WR

I wouldn't be surprised if he gets traded but I still tend to think it's not going to happen.

Giants are going to want a team to overpay in a trade and it's rare for teams nowadays to overpay because of the value they place on draft picks.

It just depends on how much of an overpay are the Giants willing to accept because I lean on the 9ers willing to overpay for OBJ in a trade but I don't see them grossly overpaying in a trade.