• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Sharks Vs Blues

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This game is alot like last one. Sharks are playing well, but getting the puck luck. broken stick on the blues PK, and thats the guy who was missing on Burns' goal. Then what would have been a tough late goal goes off the inside of the post by brouwer. Then jones has been awesome! This is how the sharks can win this series.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Elliot looked like Elliot tonight playing deep and is very beatable. Sharks start getting a feel for him we might see Jake Allen

madcap9999

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Burns is a beast and it now the 2nd leading scorer in the playoffs, and he's a Dman.. just unbelievable.

However... NBC keeps fellating the Blues like it's a ho's last meal. Sharks can't get props from anyone there.

NBC post game analysis after game 1:
"The Blues gave it their all and just look at the result. Just beautiful. And now they get a chance to go up 2-0 and to get a stranglehold on this series."
NBC post game analysis after game 2: "The Blues never had their head in the game from the start. Really just an embarrassing outing. But now they get to go on the road and must be looking forward to that, as they always play better on the road during these playoffs."

Even JR is biased for the Blues lol.

Accounting for a bad puck luck game, the Sharks can easily take the next 3 of 4 games in this series if the D keeps this up.

bdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is just stupid.

They lost 1 game, on the road, by 1 goal. Not to mention everything seemed to go against them.

Dramatic much?
Chill out bro. I've watched the sharks for the last decade and it's hard not to have past feelings come up. Great win lets keep it going!

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chill out bro. I've watched the sharks for the last decade and it's hard not to have past feelings come up. Great win lets keep it going!

I need to chill out because I basically told you to chill out? Lol

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I expect the boos will pick up their game on the road and play much better. The sharks will need a solid showing at home to go back to stl up 3-1. The lues have been very good on the road, though the last few home games for SJ have been nice. The tank will be rockin' and if the sharks come out ready, it should be fun!

I would love to see Wardo and Donkey get going in this series, and hertl too. I expect all will show up just when needed :-). And as long as jones plays solid consistent hokcey and gives up nothing weak, they should be in good shape.

Elliot was fine tonight with many good stops. Wingels' goals was so-so and Burns' second was so-so, but he had several very good stops too. I expect hell be in for game 3.

Everyone predicted a long series, and it sure looks that way! Hopefully the east goes 7 too and tampa wins. i know we shouldnt look ahead, but personally id love to avoid sid and gino and face tampa sans stamkos..

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
One more reason to be happy: Sharks win 4-0. Jumbo and patty combine for 1 assist and EV. They played reasonably well, but the team won without them being big again, and without either being key in the scoring. (patty's assist was the simple pass to burns on the PP. Not disparaging, but nothing special really). The sharks are getting the goals from the D, from the 2nd line (cooch #1 in the POs??!!), form the 3rd line as wardo has a few huge ones as does donkey, and the 4th line as tierney+wingels+zubris+karlsson have 8 combined goals in 14 games. Then add in big goaltending, and cool calm coaching and A+ captain leadership. Its actually a team!

This year is far far far from the Jumbo-patty show, and its the first playoff I can remember, and certainly the first in the jumbo era, where its not jumbo-patty that are in the lead. They are more than mere role players, but they arent the leaders anymore. That is the key...

madcap9999

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I expect the boos will pick up their game on the road and play much better. The sharks will need a solid showing at home to go back to stl up 3-1. The lues have been very good on the road, though the last few home games for SJ have been nice. The tank will be rockin' and if the sharks come out ready, it should be fun!

I would love to see Wardo and Donkey get going in this series, and hertl too. I expect all will show up just when needed :-). And as long as jones plays solid consistent hokcey and gives up nothing weak, they should be in good shape.

Elliot was fine tonight with many good stops. Wingels' goals was so-so and Burns' second was so-so, but he had several very good stops too. I expect hell be in for game 3.

Everyone predicted a long series, and it sure looks that way! Hopefully the east goes 7 too and tampa wins. i know we shouldnt look ahead, but personally id love to avoid sid and gino and face tampa sans stamkos..

Jones will need to steal one of these games.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

i don't see the Boo's getting much better, they had a much easier path then San Jose to the wcf I think it's showing

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting, Sharks took periods and games off (Nashville Game 6 for sure) in the first two rounds, but so far in the first two games in St. Louis they are pretty much giving a tremendous consistent effort. If you include Game 7 previously, that is 3 games in row with really no lazy habits of Sharks of old. Good to see and bodes well for the rest of the series.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The sharks played like the sharks of new tonight. Going to get on my case for that now? :D

Only in the sense that I'll say they played pretty similar overall both nights. Got some PP goals last night and more puck luck.

Game 1 wasn't a great game(a loss rarely ever is) but it left me encouraged.

Now can we keep it up? That remains to be seen. Still have to prove they can be consistent.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
i don't see the Boo's getting much better, they had a much easier path then San Jose to the wcf I think it's showing

What makes you think they had an easier path? Chicago is really tough. LA was missing their #2 defenseman in martinez. Dallas and Nash are probably equal opponents. I would say both teams had pretty equal paths ousting one of the two favorites and previous champs (LA an CHI) and a midtier team in round two (NAS and DAL). STL wont go down without a much better effort and they have the roster to do real damage. they will be better, and they will be smarter and not take dumb penalties like this one. Im not saying the sharks will lose, but the boos will clean up their game...

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What makes you think they had an easier path? Chicago is really tough. LA was missing their #2 defenseman in martinez. Dallas and Nash are probably equal opponents. I would say both teams had pretty equal paths ousting one of the two favorites and previous champs (LA an CHI) and a midtier team in round two (NAS and DAL). STL wont go down without a much better effort and they have the roster to do real damage. they will be better, and they will be smarter and not take dumb penalties like this one. Im not saying the sharks will lose, but the boos will clean up their game...
That isn't the same Chicago team that was winning cups, their depth has been absolutely dicimated but I will say it was comparable to the sharks beating LA with the exception that Quick is much better then Crawford. Nashville is better then Dallas, Dallas has suspect D piss poor defensive forwards and probably the worst goaltending since Roman Checkmanek. If the blues had played Nashville they'd be out of the playoffs.

Brian Elliot is not anywhere near as good as his numbers much like Chris Osgood or Manny Legace. And the Blues D depth isn't what its alleged to be either, I'm not saying it's going to be a 5 game series win for the Sharks but like I stated originally I won't be shocked if it is

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That isn't the same Chicago team that was winning cups, their depth has been absolutely dicimated but I will say it was comparable to the sharks beating LA with the exception that Quick is much better then Crawford. Nashville is better then Dallas, Dallas has suspect D piss poor defensive forwards and probably the worst goaltending since Roman Checkmanek. If the blues had played Nashville they'd be out of the playoffs.

Brian Elliot is not anywhere near as good as his numbers much like Chris Osgood or Manny Legace. And the Blues D depth isn't what its alleged to be either, I'm not saying it's going to be a 5 game series win for the Sharks but like I stated originally I won't be shocked if it is

I'd say the only thing that concerns me is that even though we got the road split to take home ice the series is only 1-1. Pretty much everyone(even blues players) are talking about how we've controlled the first two games so far using our speed but it's even where it matters most....games won.

So if the Blues figure things out it could be series on. But if things keep going as they are this is Sharks in 6 at most. Hopefully the guys smell blood and kill it on home ice.

bdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only in the sense that I'll say they played pretty similar overall both nights. Got some PP goals last night and more puck luck.

Game 1 wasn't a great game(a loss rarely ever is) but it left me encouraged.

Now can we keep it up? That remains to be seen. Still have to prove they can be consistent.

You answered the question for me right there. Consistency was the difference between Game 1 and 2. I didn't think they played horrible in game 1.

In my honest opinion I felt that the Sharks didn't play well mentally in game 1 because they were often overthinking. They had a hard time settling pucks and trying to get too fancy on power plays.

I thought that they were on their heels a lot but in game 2 they had the Blues on their heels just about the whole game and that was absolutely beautiful!

I really believe in mentality being a very important factor in the playoffs. People like Hunter Pence and Dreymond Green really help spark that killer instinct for their teams. Game 2 the Sharks had that killer instinct and Brent Burns is really becoming that spark for us. He could very well be the Conn Smythe trophy winner after this season is over.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You answered the question for me right there. Consistency was the difference between Game 1 and 2. I didn't think they played horrible in game 1.

In my honest opinion I felt that the Sharks didn't play well mentally in game 1 because they were often overthinking. They had a hard time settling pucks and trying to get too fancy on power plays.

I thought that they were on their heels a lot but in game 2 they had the Blues on their heels just about the whole game and that was absolutely beautiful!

I really believe in mentality being a very important factor in the playoffs. People like Hunter Pence and Dreymond Green really help spark that killer instinct for their teams. Game 2 the Sharks had that killer instinct and Brent Burns is really becoming that spark for us. He could very well be the Conn Smythe trophy winner after this season is over.

But the consistency I meant was more can they stay consistent from what they've built so far. Like I've already said, game 1 wasn't flawless but if we play every game EXACTLY like game 1 for a 7 game series I'd take our chances in a heartbeat.

As I posted above two posts, talk around the league has been the same. It's felt even by Blues coaches and players that the Sharks have controlled both games and imposed their style, the unfortunate part is it's only equated in stealing home ice, not leading the series.

Now it's a matter of can we keep playing like this? Or will the team let down kinda like the last 45 minutes of Games vs Nashville?

bdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But the consistency I meant was more can they stay consistent from what they've built so far. Like I've already said, game 1 wasn't flawless but if we play every game EXACTLY like game 1 for a 7 game series I'd take our chances in a heartbeat.

As I posted above two posts, talk around the league has been the same. It's felt even by Blues coaches and players that the Sharks have controlled both games and imposed their style, the unfortunate part is it's only equated in stealing home ice, not leading the series.

Now it's a matter of can we keep playing like this? Or will the team let down kinda like the last 45 minutes of Games vs Nashville?

Lol I don't care man. You have your opinion and I have mine. Nothing wrong with that!

Let's just hope our Sharks can hold it down at home and keep this great play up.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol I don't care man. You have your opinion and I have mine. Nothing wrong with that!

Let's just hope our Sharks can hold it down at home and keep this great play up.

Except one opinion is right, and the other is blatantly wrong.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's up fellas? Glad to see some of the familiar names still on.

Nice to see the Sharks break through on the PP in game 2. That will take some aggressiveness out of the Blues, which is a big part of their game - although it's nice to keep those PP opportunities coming. I think the Blues will clean up the needless penalties in game 3 though (slashing, boarding).

As long as the Sharks stay defensively responsible and put a lid on Tarasenko, I don't think the Blues have the offensive depth to hang. Get the lead and force the Blues to open up. Playing from behind plays right into the Blues' hands.