• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sharks Vs. Blackhawks GD/NT

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh noes, are the Sharks gonna find a way to win one?

SHARKS at BLACKHAWKS
TV: VERSUS (HD), TSN (HD), RDS (HD)

(Chicago leads best-of-7 series, 2-0)

Big story -- It's pretty obvious, isn't it? The series turns on this game. If Chicago wins, it takes a commanding 3-0 lead with Game 4 set for Sunday afternoon. If San Jose wins, it's right back in this series with a chance to even it up on Sunday. The Blackhawks are only 3-3 at United Center in the playoffs and they haven't won in their own building since May 3. It's pretty clear that if they're going to win the Stanley Cup they're going to have to win on home ice, so might as well start now.

Team Scope:

Sharks -- It really was just a lot of little things that added up to back-to-back frustrating losses at HP Pavilion. Evgeni Nabokov hasn't been bad, but he's getting outplayed by Antti Niemi. The Sharks need to be better with the puck because their possession game was lacking at home. They need to do a better job getting position in front of Nabokov, because the Blackhawks scored three goals on tip-ins from in front of the net in Game 2.

The Sharks need a sharper edge to their game. Games 1 and 2 were too civil. They need their Big Three of Joe Thornton, Patrick Marleau and Dany Heatley to be better at even strength. In the series they have scored only one goal at even strength and are a combined minus-8. Thornton is a minus-4. The Hawks' checking line of Dave Bolland, Andrew Ladd and Kris Versteeg has made life miserable for Thornton, Marleau and Heatley. And with the last change due to home-ice advantage, you have to think that the Blackhawks will get that matchup whenever they want it Friday night.

"The simple fact is if our big line ends up on the ice against those three, they have to find a way to outplay them," coach Todd McLellan said. "There's nothing that we can continually do to get away from it. They're going to be up against them. At the end of the night, they have to find a way to be productive."

Blackhawks -- It's just the opposite for the Hawks, because all the little things are breaking their way now. For instance, deflections off of sticks are turning into goals and perimeter shots are finding their way into the net as well. But the Blackhawks are earning their breaks because they are sticking to their game plan. San Jose made them uncomfortable at the start of both Games 1 and 2, but Chicago withstood the onslaught and never changed its style. In each game the Hawks have forced the Sharks to scramble in the second period and by the third they were controlling the pace and the play.

Of course, Niemi has been rock solid with 69 saves on 72 shots and Jonathan Toews has been a leader in every sense of the word. Toews already has a goal and three assists in the series and he leads the NHL with 16 assists and 23 points. He's on an 11-game points streak. Now the Hawks have to take their successful road mentality and use it at home, where they are all the rave except during the game.

"I went out for dinner last night and the second I stopped people started yelling," Adam Burish said. "It's cool. It's fun. We feel like we're doing our job. We're making people happy and we're getting the town excited. It makes you feel good."

Who's hot -- Dustin Byfuglien has goals in each of the two games in this series and six in the last six games. He's scored in three straight games dating back to Game 6 against Vancouver. … Patrick Marleau scored both of San Jose's goals in Game 2 and had the primary assist on Jason Demers' power-play goal in Game 1.

Injury report -- There are no injuries of note to report in this series.

Stat pack -- Toews has 7 goals and 15 assists during his 11-game point streak. He had only 1 assist through the first three games of the playoffs. … Duncan Keith leads all players in the series with 57:37 of ice time. He played a game-high 30:21 in Game 2. … The Blackhawks are up 2-0 despite losing 57 percent of the faceoffs to San Jose. However, Toews has won 23 of 43 draws (53.5 percent).

Puck drop -- "You're allowed to be passionate at this time of the year. We expect that. We expect you to be frustrated when it's not going your way," McLellan said. "But it's what you do with that, how you handle it, how you channel it. We as a group, as a team, likely won't be good enough to beat Chicago and frustration. We have to pick one or the other. If we end up trying to beat the frustration all the time, we won't have enough left in our tanks to beat Chicago. If we channel it, try to target Chicago, use our frustration on them, we have a chance to come back."

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been watching and wondering, would it make sense to switch Jumbo and Little Jim? Maybe some new lines will help jump start the offense. Pavelski's drive and heart in between Marleau and Heater, and Thornton's vision and passing between Clowe and Setoguchi...

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Big Three needs to start backchecking like they mean it. This is the WCF! Creating offense (which they have been) is all fine and dandy, but two-way play is vital this time of year.

I'd like to see some finish from Marleau and Heatley (especially Heatley) too. Thornton has easily been the best player on that line and he's made some good plays but the puck isn't ending up in the back of the net often enough. The Pavelski line has cooled off quite a bit too (started in the Detroit series). Getting a goal from that line would be a nice boost.

GagneFire12

Miley Cyrus, say what?
In a flat with tinted sunlight and creaky floorboa
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see some finish from Marleau and Heatley (especially Heatley) too. Thornton has easily been the best player on that line and he's made some good plays but the puck isn't ending up in the back of the net often enough. The Pavelski line has cooled off quite a bit too (started in the Detroit series). Getting a goal from that line would be a nice boost.

Oops, that was supposed to be "need." Heh. Pavs has been a monster this postseason - he'll show up next game. Neutral zone speed is going to be key. In games one and two, Chicago had it. San Jose didn't play poorly, far from it in fact- the Blackhawks just took advantage of their speed, and some shoddy goaltending.

Getting on the road might set Team Teal back on track. The Shark Tank hasn't been kind to them in their WCF history.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oops, that was supposed to be "need." Heh. Pavs has been a monster this postseason - he'll show up next game. Neutral zone speed is going to be key. In games one and two, Chicago had it. San Jose didn't play poorly, far from it in fact- the Blackhawks just took advantage of their speed, and some shoddy goaltending.

Getting on the road might set Team Teal back on track. The Shark Tank hasn't been kind to them in their WCF history.

I agree Gagne, The Hawks look so much faster than the Sharks do. If the Sharks go down 3-0 I think you can stick a fork in em.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not to split hairs here (like Germans threatening castration), because Marleau was gawd awful against Colorado, and a little less gawd awful against Detroit.....but the Sharks have 3 goals in this series so far.....Marleau has two of them. Heatley has been bust central.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just have a feeling the Sharks are ready to bust out tonight. Hawks are feeling good and rightly so which means this is the night for the Sharks to feast.

Sharks 4, Hawks 1 tonight. Wait for it, wait for it...

BOOK IT!!!

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just have a feeling the Sharks are ready to bust out tonight. Hawks are feeling good and rightly so which means this is the night for the Sharks to feast.

Sharks 4, Hawks 1 tonight. Wait for it, wait for it...

BOOK IT!!!

I am not sure what the numbers are dash but you could be right because I think the Hawks have been much better on the road (record wise) during the playoffs.

beantownmaniac

I thought growing old would take longer
Hoopla Cash
$ 304.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sure what the numbers are dash but you could be right because I think the Hawks have been much better on the road (record wise) during the playoffs.

I believe this playoff year, the Hawks are 3-3 at home

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Slimp you still sober? Only 40 minutes till game time.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol, slimp sounds like a sexual move like the rusty trombone.

I slimped all over that bitch.