• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Shaq would rather play with Kobe than James

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,643.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shaquille O'Neal says he'd take Kobe Bryant in his prime over LeBron - CBSSports.com

"The Dan Patrick Show" seems to be where everybody goes to weigh in on who's the best ever and where players rank. Last week, Bill Laimbeer made an appearance and said that he thought LeBron James could do more than Michael Jordan, which caused a bit of a stir. Shaquille O'Neal was a guest on Monday, and he disagreed with Laimbeer, saying he'd take Jordan over James. Then he was asked about where James fits in compared to Kobe Bryant.

"I played with both of them," O'Neal said. "You know, Kobe has that killer instinct. And I'd probably have to go with Kobe. That's not a knock against LeBron. It's just that I know Kobe and I played with him longer. I've seen what he can do."

Patrick then asked if James had a killer instinct.

"Yes he does," O'Neal said. "But a lot of people try to compare him to Mike, when he's more like Magic [Johnson]. But, you know, when he needs to take over a game, he will. But he's really, really smart. He's very intelligent. He lets the game come to him. And he relies on others. Magic relied on others and it worked out well for him. LeBron has relied on others these past five years, it's working out for him. Hopefully it works out for him in the Finals."

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And he relies on others. Magic relied on others and it worked out well for him. LeBron has relied on others these past five years, it's working out for him. Hopefully it works out for him in the Finals."

This is so far from the truth

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And he relies on others. Magic relied on others and it worked out well for him. LeBron has relied on others these past five years, it's working out for him. Hopefully it works out for him in the Finals."

This is so far from the truth

How do you figure?

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you figure?

Who exactly did he rely on the last 5 yrs? Excluding the 2011 finals vs Dallas, Lebron was always hands down the best player on his teams in the Conference finals and NBA finals

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He hasnt RELIED on anyone, poor choice of words by Shaq. He gets others involved as a team, that is different than relying.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who exactly did he rely on the last 5 yrs? Excluding the 2011 finals vs Dallas, Lebron was always hands down the best player on his teams in the Conference finals and NBA finals

Being the best player on the team, doesn't mean he didn't rely on others. It means he was the best player, but had help.

You know, like the shot from Ray Ray that saved the Heat's asses year before last. When Shaq says he relied on others like Magic relied on others, he's talking about the style of basketball they play.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being the best player on the team, doesn't mean he didn't rely on others. It means he was the best player, but had help.

You know, like the shot from Ray Ray that saved the Heat's asses year before last. When Shaq says he relied on others like Magic relied on others, he's talking about the style of basketball they play.

Everybody relies on teammates, Kobe even MJ. Maybe he meant he has relied on worse teammates, bc that is true lol.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everybody relies on teammates, Kobe even MJ. Maybe he meant he has relied on worse teammates, bc that is true lol.

Nah, I agree that it was a poor choice of words by Shaq. MJ and Kobe are like old west gunslingers. Magic and Lebron are/were more orchestrators. MJ and Kobe did their thing and everyone else kind of filled in around them.

Lebron and Magic made/make sure that they actively get their teammates involved. Both styles have their positives and negatives.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No different than Horry/Fisher saving Shaq/Kobe ass a few times also. Kobe had help also. Let's not act like Kobe did this all alone. It is a team sport. You don't win titles in this league without having help. As i said before Shaq is talking out of his ass as he always does

hockey878

Hoopla Cash
$ 300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No different than Horry/Fisher saving Shaq/Kobe ass a few times also. Kobe had help also. Let's not act like Kobe did this all alone. It is a team sport. You don't win titles in this league without having help. As i said before Shaq is talking out of his ass as he always does

this is always the thing I don't understand. People will say Ray Allen saved LeBron's ass. But no one ever mentions the big shots Duncan/Kobe/Jordan's role players hit.

If Ray Allen saved LeBron's ass, then what the hell do we call what the other lakers did in that that 6-24 game 7 performance by Kobe?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nobody said they did. Learn to comprehend what you read.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody said they did. Learn to comprehend what you read.

tell Shaq that. He clearly forgot that he and Kobe had role players save their ass from time to time also. His comments make it seem as if Kobe never had gotten help from a role player.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tell Shaq that. He clearly forgot that he and Kobe had role players save their ass from time to time also. His comments make it seem as if Kobe never had gotten help from a role player.

No he didn't. He was talking about exactly what I said he was. I was watching the show when he said it. It was a poor choice of words based on their styles of play.

Do you really think that Shaq doesn't realize Kobe had help? Or maybe he doesn't?

After all, it's not like Shaq was on any of the teams when Kobe won titles. :L

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know of any one that has ever did it without help - Even Michael Jordan had other players he trusted. That's the reason it's called a TEAM SPORT

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Horry didn't save Kobe's ass any more than Fisher saved Kobe's ass or Ray Allen saving Lebron's. It was a team effort that required the cooperation and combined effort of the ten or so players that played with the stars and all of them won a title because of that effort. Horry had something to lose by not making that shot too

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He hasnt RELIED on anyone, poor choice of words by Shaq. He gets others involved as a team, that is different than relying.

Yeah, maybe poor phrasing.

I took it to mean he tries to take the easiest road possible by playing on Super Teams.

That's not a bad thing...why not make it easy on yourself?

But, he has stacked the deck with the Heat and the Cavs 2.0.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, maybe poor phrasing.

I took it to mean he tries to take the easiest road possible by playing on Super Teams.

That's not a bad thing...why not make it easy on yourself?

But, he has stacked the deck with the Heat and the Cavs 2.0.

I think those Laker teams were stacked, especially in the 80's. Same with the Bulls in the 90's. It seems like whatever team Lebron goes to injuries happen, bad luck. Or like early in his career he had no help.

I think Shaq just used a bad choice of words, that's all

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is always the thing I don't understand. People will say Ray Allen saved LeBron's ass. But no one ever mentions the big shots Duncan/Kobe/Jordan's role players hit.

If Ray Allen saved LeBron's ass, then what the hell do we call what the other lakers did in that that 6-24 game 7 performance by Kobe?

Man, that's when I learned Steve Kerr's name.....He owes everything he has to Jordan for passing him the ball...lol

Ditto for Will Purdue, Jud Buchelor, Jason " I got 10 different Baby Mamas " Caffey and Bill Wennington!