• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Shanahan Officially Named Head Coach

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope Kap opts out. It's best for everyone. He needs a fresh start and the Niners need a clean slate. He mentioned during the Tolbert and Lund show that he wants a QB that is a pure passer, one that was born to be one. He also mentioned that there are probably only 6 or 7 of those on the planet. I don't Kap is one of those.

He's not going to force it but if Shanahan feels there's a QB in the draft that fits that mold, then he will draft one. He's not afraid to make mistakes. I like his conviction and I think he and Lynch will do a good job. Their rapport seem to be genuine unlike Baalke and the three previous coaches.

Kaepernick is a guy for whatever reason is the one that seems to stick around far longer than he should. All the signs are there to say he's gone, but......

A couple of funny things I heard on Sirius about Shanahan....it was an ESPN Dallas reporter talking Cowboys and Romo and his likely landing spots. His top three landing spots were Houston, Dallas.....and SF. I didn't see the SF angle but apparently, Kyle and Tony are really good friends and such. I still don't get it, but the other thing that was stated was Shanahan wasn't overly high on the QB's in this draft.

The reporter made it sound like he'd be more inclined in taking a guy in the mid rounds just for the sake of getting something to mold instead of rolling the dice. How accurate any of this stuff is, I have no idea.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kaepernick is a guy for whatever reason is the one that seems to stick around far longer than he should. All the signs are there to say he's gone, but......

A couple of funny things I heard on Sirius about Shanahan....it was an ESPN Dallas reporter talking Cowboys and Romo and his likely landing spots. His top three landing spots were Houston, Dallas.....and SF. I didn't see the SF angle but apparently, Kyle and Tony are really good friends and such. I still don't get it, but the other thing that was stated was Shanahan wasn't overly high on the QB's in this draft.

The reporter made it sound like he'd be more inclined in taking a guy in the mid rounds just for the sake of getting something to mold instead of rolling the dice. How accurate any of this stuff is, I have no idea.

I thought the whole Romo thing was crazy but if he is willing to be bridge QB for a couple of years than that is fine. He is too old and beat up and won't be there for us if and when we are ready to compete for championship. This looks like a weak draft class so I am not surprised Shanahan might be ambivalent to using a high pick on a QB. Watson looks like one of the top QB picks and he looks like a RG3/Kap type of player. Trubinsky is another name out there, He is more the traditional pocket QB but from what I've read the scouts aren't high on him at all.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the whole Romo thing was crazy but if he is willing to be bridge QB for a couple of years than that is fine. He is too old and beat up and won't be there for us if and when we are ready to compete for championship. This looks like a weak draft class so I am not surprised Shanahan might be ambivalent to using a high pick on a QB. Watson looks like one of the top QB picks and he looks like a RG3/Kap type of player. Trubinsky is another name out there, He is more the traditional pocket QB but from what I've read the scouts aren't high on him at all.

The Romo angle was almost unmentionable really.....I can't see the guy going anywhere near a rebuilding project. I'd have mixed feelings if he did come to SF. I like Romo a lot as far as QB's are concerned, but he ain't no bridge QB. I believe he still has got gas in the tank and the right scenario would be Denver or Houston - let him have a true crack at a title.

I don't want to see him settling for a 49er gig and going out on a whimper.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Romo angle was almost unmentionable really.....I can't see the guy going anywhere near a rebuilding project. I'd have mixed feelings if he did come to SF. I like Romo a lot as far as QB's are concerned, but he ain't no bridge QB. I believe he still has got gas in the tank and the right scenario would be Denver or Houston - let him have a true crack at a title.

I don't want to see him settling for a 49er gig and going out on a whimper.
When I say bridge I don't mean that Romo is just an average QB. I like Romo and think he was a very good QB. But because of his age and health issues he isn't going to be anything more than a bridge QB for us because we arent competing for a few years. If he didn't mind playing for the 49ers, then I would be fine with it but I am sure he is going to want a chance to play on a contender like Denver

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I say bridge I don't mean that Romo is just an average QB. I like Romo and think he was a very good QB. But because of his age and health issues he isn't going to be anything more than a bridge QB for us because we arent competing for a few years. If he didn't mind playing for the 49ers, then I would be fine with it but I am sure he is going to want a chance to play on a contender like Denver

No I get it. It's why I said that Romo is 'too good' for us now because he's still capable of playing the part of an NFL Championship run. What would be the point of him coming here when he clearly can't take this team anywhere?

I'd be a bit disappointed in Romo if he actually did come here, as that somewhat tells me he's just doing it for the cheque at this point. He's a guy that's taken a lot of crap for no good reason....a guy who I'd like to see win a SB.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's surprising. I would think he would like to go to a team that has a chance to make the playoffs. He has a base salary of 14 mil next season and a cap hit of 24.7 mil. Yikes!! He was an expensive backup last season. I have a feeling that Shanahan and Lynch will not draft a QB. I wouldn't mind having them draft a QB in the 3rd round, maybe Kaaya or Mahomes.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's surprising. I would think he would like to go to a team that has a chance to make the playoffs.

I believe it sounds too far fetched...so out there that I almost regret posting it. Until I see it widely reported elsewhere with some actual facts and quotes, I'd consider it bull.

Cut My Red I Bleed Gold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe it sounds too far fetched...so out there that I almost regret posting it. Until I see it widely reported elsewhere with some actual facts and quotes, I'd consider it bull.

I'm sure he's talking to anyone that is listening at the moment. Cash is mostly always king...but if he seriously wants to join someone on the bubble I think he would be pointing his search beyond us. We're well within the bubble...like in the middle.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh. Just another run of the mill coach with no experience as the head man.

He was considered one of the top candidates and OCs in the league. Look at all the other NFL hires this year. The only HC the 49ers could have hired with previous NFL HC experience would have been an old retread or someone the failed as an HC before.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was considered one of the top candidates and OCs in the league. Look at all the other NFL hires this year. The only HC the 49ers could have hired with previous NFL HC experience would have been an old retread or someone the failed as an HC before.
Its going to be tough to judge him with the roster we have. I'll have to wait and see I guess. Shanahan does not give me a good feeling though.
It'll be interesting to see what kind of assistants he'll be able to attract. That should tell us what the feeling about Shanahan is around the league. I have to say though that I was not impressed with how he handled his offense in the Super Bowl.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its going to be tough to judge him with the roster we have. I'll have to wait and see I guess. Shanahan does not give me a good feeling though.
It'll be interesting to see what kind of assistants he'll be able to attract. That should tell us what the feeling about Shanahan is around the league. I have to say though that I was not impressed with how he handled his offense in the Super Bowl.

That is true. It doesn't matter how great of an offensive mind he is without the players and our roster is in pretty bad shape. It will take time. The only positive is the 49ers have $80 million in cap space and are not in salary cap hell. They really need to have good drafts the next couple of years for this team to start improving. Going to be tough for at least a couple of years.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh. Just another run of the mill coach with no experience as the head man.

Going by that, should we have stuck with Chip Kelly? If not, from the candidates who were available, who did you prefer?

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going by that, should we have stuck with Chip Kelly? If not, from the candidates who were available, who did you prefer?
Yes. He had the worst roster in football and the team was additionally decimated by injury. He never had a chance. I hope they don't shitcan Shanahan that quickly.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. He had the worst roster in football and the team was additionally decimated by injury. He never had a chance. I hope they don't shitcan Shanahan that quickly.

I didn't think they were going to fire Kelly but I think Kelly getting fired had to more to do with starting fresh with a new GM than the job Kelly did. They should have fired Baalke at the end of last year when they fired Tomsula and then started this process. Seeing how much they are paying two prior coaches and Shanahan having a six year deal, he isn't going to get fired anytime soon.

Cut My Red I Bleed Gold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That whole situation was a stinker. What it tells me though is that Kelly was a Baalke guy (still Jeds fault) and that they have come to grips with were they're at as a team, and invested in a promising new HC. He and Lynch will have enough rope and cash to build the roster but it's going to take some time. I think we're all aware of that.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't think they were going to fire Kelly but I think Kelly getting fired had to more to do with starting fresh with a new GM than the job Kelly did. They should have fired Baalke at the end of last year when they fired Tomsula and then started this process. Seeing how much they are paying two prior coaches and Shanahan having a six year deal, he isn't going to get fired anytime soon.

Nothing this ownership group does surprises me any more.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That whole situation was a stinker. What it tells me though is that Kelly was a Baalke guy (still Jeds fault) and that they have come to grips with were they're at as a team, and invested in a promising new HC. He and Lynch will have enough rope and cash to build the roster but it's going to take some time. I think we're all aware of that.
Lynch bothers me as well. That hire was a real head scratcher. Why put an amateur in charge? I don't get that at all.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New hires ,no experience at the level that they were hired for and more hires yet to come on the coaching side of this situation. We need to give this rebuild some time. The only things that nag me at this point is if Jed (the worst of all in the NFL ) steps in on this rebuild , they keep Kap and wait for him to figure his shit out, and the newb Lynch has no clue how to pick talent.