• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Several assistant coaches arrested in corruption scheme

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
100K for Brian Bowen is insane... his recruitment always seemed sketchy. Why the fuck would you wait until the last minute to commit, I think he was the last top 20 player to commit, and then choose a school who's on probation and was never on your list until literally the week before you committed to them.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Louisville absolutely needs the death penalty. Not only are they currently on probation, they were given that probation in early June and by late August had an assistant coach(es) trying to do the same thing with Bowen for a 2018 recruit. This is basically SMU all over again, but probably even worse, which is saying something.
if the NCAA doesn't, I don't know how you prevent this kind of stuff in the future. What's the worst they could do beyond that? Programs can pay for elite teams, win some championships and then get a slap on the wrist for a few years? Louisville absolutely needs and deserves it. Getting probation and a month later having meetings discussing keeping their illegal activity low-key....jeez man.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
100K for Brian Bowen is insane... his recruitment always seemed sketchy. Why the fuck would you wait until the last minute to commit, I think he was the last top 20 player to commit, and then choose a school who's on probation and was never on your list until literally the week before you committed to them.

My initial thoughts were that he was waiting to see who all officially declared for the NBA. Guess him/his family was waiting to see who the highest bidder was. UL coughed up more $$$ than Zona it would appear. But 100K for him is a little much. Louisville deserves all it gets.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if the NCAA doesn't, I don't know how you prevent this kind of stuff in the future. What's the worst they could do beyond that? Programs can pay for elite teams, win some championships and then get a slap on the wrist for a few years? Louisville absolutely needs and deserves it. Getting probation and a month later having meetings discussing keeping their illegal activity low-key....jeez man.

Yeah its pretty appalling what has transpired. I'm sure the banner is coming down, if it hasn't already. But yes, a statement needs to be made to prevent this. Death penalty for UL, which would mean a 1 year postseason ban, and at that point whoever's on the team(that's eligible) can transfer wherever. They will be crippled for at least 3-4 years.

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah its pretty appalling what has transpired. I'm sure the banner is coming down, if it hasn't already. But yes, a statement needs to be made to prevent this. Death penalty for UL, which would mean a 1 year postseason ban, and at that point whoever's on the team(that's eligible) can transfer wherever. They will be crippled for at least 3-4 years.

People talk about SMU, but the penalty Maryland basketball got for the Bob Wade fiasco might be a fit punishment for Louisville.

Hitman Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On second thought, three years probation would be them getting off easy.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People talk about SMU, but the penalty Maryland basketball got for the Bob Wade fiasco might be a fit punishment for Louisville.

I'm not up to speed on what happened and the punishment that was given. Was this between when Lefty left and Williams took over?

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again I am now glad John Beilein is the coach at Michigan.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Frank Haith was a pretty good recruiter, but he couldn't coach his players up. Haith leaves for Missouri, Miami hires a guy that took George Mason to the Final Four. Miami had a pretty talented squad when Larranga came over and won the ACC during his second season there. He's used that season as a springboard for his program.

I do think its odd that he's starting to land consensus Top 30 guys every year, though.
Haith was about as clean as a $2 hooker

Or Rick Pitino.

Hitman Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haith was about as clean as a $2 hooker

Or Rick Pitino.

Yeah, Haith is pretty dirty. I'm actually quite disappointed in how he turned out. He was a Wake asst. under Dave Odom.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

John Swofford is lobbying the NCAA like crazy right now.

Hitman Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not up to speed on what happened and the punishment that was given. Was this between when Lefty left and Williams took over?

Yes. Wade was the coach from '86 to '89. He was a terrible coach, but he could recruit. He got busted by the NCAA for being dirty.

The final result was Maryland getting 3 years probation, two year post-season ban and 1 year TV ban. It also caused strained relations between Maryland and Maryland's #1 source for basketball recruits, Baltimore. That's pretty much the reason why Maryland was dog shit for Gary William's first four seasons.

and yet, I don't think that punishment is severe enough for Louisville.

Hitman Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
John Swofford is lobbying the NCAA like crazy right now.

f'n Swofford. Nice job in putting the ACC Tournament in a city that gets snow in March.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. Wade was the coach from '86 to '89. He was a terrible coach, but he could recruit. He got busted by the NCAA for being dirty.

The final result was Maryland getting 3 years probation, two year post-season ban and 1 year TV ban. It also caused strained relations between Maryland and Maryland's #1 source for basketball recruits, Baltimore. That's pretty much the reason why Maryland was dog shit for Gary William's first four seasons.

and yet, I don't think that punishment is severe enough for Louisville.

That's what I thought. Being how old I am(31), I don't really remember the Terps being bad at any point under Williams until the last 5-6 years when it seemed like they mad the NIT every couple years.

Hitman Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what I thought. Being how old I am(31), I don't really remember the Terps being bad at any point under Williams until the last 5-6 years when it seemed like they mad the NIT every couple years.

They actually missed the NCAA's more often than not during his last seven seasons.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They actually missed the NCAA's more often than not during his last seven seasons.

Yeah, without looking I knew the program was tailing off at the end, especially once Vasquez graduated.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it wrong to assume these schools football programs could possibly be doing something similar?