• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Serious question

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
even though I know it is highly unlikely.

If Tanney out plays Orton the rest of camp. Do you think we (can) make a switch. I just don't car for orton as our backup & figure we are screwed either way if Romo goes down. Don't know what contractual consequences are. I seriously doubt this happens but if the difference in play is good enough, could it be possible?

blue jersey jinx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If Tanney out plays Orton the rest of camp. Do you think we (can) make a switch. I just don't car for orton as our backup & figure we are screwed either way if Romo goes down. Don't know what contractual consequences are. I seriously doubt this happens but if the difference in play is good enough, could it be possible?
I agree with you totally on this one schmoopy. Never liked or wanted Norton from the beginning. If everything goes well this year and Romo goes down, were in big trouble. I'd rather take a chance on Tanny. Orton will never get any better than he is now. At least Tanny has potential and upside.

CarlSr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not quite sold on Tanney moving ahead of Orton yet.

Eastbay

We Dem Boyz!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If push comes to shove I think Orton can "manage" to win a game or two if Romo goes down short term. If it is long term like every other team in the league, we are Shit out of luck :faint:

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Contracts rule the Cowboys ... Always have Orton isn't going anywhere.

I kinda hope Tanny can hang out on the practice squad... but I don't think that is likely either. Especially he continues to look good.

We do need a young guy in progress. ... But gonnabe hard to keep one on the roster with the depth issues we have

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess it all depend on what gamble do you want to take. You can gamble the Romo does not get hurt and keep Tanney, or you can Gamble nobody picks up Tanney and keep Orton. I wold like to keep Tanney but I wouldn't want to gamble with him starting a game or two.

paulnatlanta

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have drafted one QB since Romo took over. We will reap what jerry has sewn. Orton wasn't the answer in Chicago, Denver, or KC. He's not the answer in the Dallas. Pray Romo stays healthy.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have drafted one QB since Romo took over. We will reap what jerry has sewn. Orton wasn't the answer in Chicago, Denver, or KC. He's not the answer in the Dallas. Pray Romo stays healthy.

Orton is fine as a backup. I wouldn't want to go into the season with as the #1, but how many teams have a backup you'd trust to carry on the season?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4.5MM in dead money says we can't cut him, at least not this season.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think the likely scenario is Dallas keeps Orton, tries to slip Tanney onto the practice squad, and loses him as happened with Matt Moore

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is is just me or has Tanny not been that impressive. He's looked pretty mediocre to me is arm is impressive but he gets antsy under pressure which equals turnovers in bunches with this OL.

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather sign Keenum if the Texans are dumb enough to try and slip him on the practice squad.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather sign Keenum if the Texans are dumb enough to try and slip him on the practice squad.

I can't comment on Keenum, I don't know enough about him, but the ball leaves Tanney's arm like a howitzer. It's hard to teach that velocity. Problem is Tanney reminds me of Hogeboom, he'd throw the ball through a wall, doesn't matter if the WR is 50 yards or 5 yards away. Teach Tanney touch and he could be something special. Hell we could end up with UDFA QB's leading this team for 20 years. Now that scared me a little.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't comment on Keenum, I don't know enough about him, but the ball leaves Tanney's arm like a howitzer. It's hard to teach that velocity. Problem is Tanney reminds me of Hogeboom, he'd throw the ball through a wall, doesn't matter if the WR is 50 yards or 5 yards away. Teach Tanney touch and he could be something special. Hell we could end up with UDFA QB's leading this team for 20 years. Now that scared me a little.
if Tanney right now & Orton ever are the answers I would rather have the new guy & hope, vs the old guy & know better. My point isn't so much because I want Tanney but because I don't want orton, but if Nets is right about the contract I suspect another Moore incident. Don't see us getting rid of Orton. Just think if we kept Moore back then instead of trying to be cute, we wouldn't need another back up right now.
I get keeping a serviceable vet. I don't get keeping a vet QB just because he is a vet. Rather have a young guy with some unknown if that is the case.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All you have to do is look at his contract to know we will not cut Orton. Personally I think he is a good #2 QB and wouldn't cut him even if his contract allowed it. Would any of you really feel comfortable going into the season with Tanney one missed block away from being our starting QB? Not me...I do like the kid though and am going against the grain and saying we keep him as a third QB on the 53. Heck, at least we get to see those YouTube clips every once in a while if we hold onto him. Maybe if Dez runs down the field holding a garbage can Tanney can hit him for a TD every time...

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All you have to do is look at his contract to know we will not cut Orton. Personally I think he is a good #2 QB and wouldn't cut him even if his contract allowed it. Would any of you really feel comfortable going into the season with Tanney one missed block away from being our starting QB? Not me...I do like the kid though and am going against the grain and saying we keep him as a third QB on the 53. Heck, at least we get to see those YouTube clips every once in a while if we hold onto him. Maybe if Dez runs down the field holding a garbage can Tanney can hit him for a TD every time...
If Romo goes down we don't make the playoffs either way. This offense isn't built around a bus driver. We don't have the O-line for that.

blue jersey jinx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't believe all of you loyal and intelligent Cowboy fans are comfortable as Orton as our back up. Sorry guys, can't go with you on this one. IMO Orton is a total piece of shit. I'd rather take a chance on Tanney or someone else.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't believe all of you loyal and intelligent Cowboy fans are comfortable as Orton as our back up. Sorry guys, can't go with you on this one. IMO Orton is a total piece of shit. I'd rather take a chance on Tanney or someone else.

It doesn't have anything to do with comfort with Orton. Because of their cap situation, the Cowboys have to make a lot of decisions based on the cap rather than simply whats best for the football team