• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Senior Bowl notes

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Cecil Lammey:

I liked #Syracuse QB Ryan Nassib's shoulder and pump fakes, his ball fakes on play action passes fooled me several times

Elon WR Aaron Mellette did a gd job all wk of adjusting to poorly thrown passes, disappointed to see him round off routes 2day

#Michigan WR Denard Robinson looked more comfortable today but was still inconsistent hands catcher, too many chest traps IMHO #SeniorBowl

I liked the way #OregonState WR Markus Wheaton would stop/start his routes, quick enough to beat press coverage at the line #SeniorBowl

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Jinx Allessio:

Just saw Kyle Long in the lobby getting tracked down by some Ravens personnel guys, went to elevators with them.

---------------------------------

Adam Caplan:

Here's how I'd rank the 6 QBs by performances in Mobile after 3 days: Nassib, Glennon, Wilson, Jones, Dysert, Manuel.

----------------------------------

Eric Galko:

Guys I'm Looking Forward to Re-Watching after this week: Saf Cyprien, DT Hughes, TE McDonald, CB Gratz, LBs V.Williams/Powell, DT B.Williams

--------------------------------

Cecil Lammey:

I like #Marshall WR Aaron Dobson as a developmental prospect but thought he was too upright coming out of his breaks #SeniorBowl

Syracuse WR Alec Lemon was impressive yesterday, but came down a little today. Rounding off slant/out routes but ran crisp comebacks

Saw #Texas WR Marquise Goodwin jump unnecessarily to snag a pass more than once this week -- BIG pet peeve of mine #SeniorBowl #NFLDraft

Matt Miller:

To clarify: Joeckel, Fisher and Johnson had been my top 3 OTs, nothing changed this week, just updating for interested readers

Josh Norris:

Guys I'll be going back and giving second looks to (+/-): WR Goodwin, WR King, CB Trufant, DL Ansah. First looks: LB Powell, DT B Williams.

Tony Pauline:

Hearing scouts are now branding Desmond Trufant/CB/Washington as a "lock 1st round pick"...more notes in an hour..

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Joe Everett:

Coach Jim Schwartz on Ziggy Ansah; "Everybody says he's raw but I don't see that. He's buying down passes and making big plays."

Coach Jim Schwartz on small school prospects; "We are not grading on a curve and we are looking for how they compete w the big names."

--------------------------------------

Cecil Lammey:

Markus Wheaton also had a great catch today where he spun around to catch a pass behind him in stride #SeniorBowl #OregonState AWESOME play

#NCState Glennon looks the part but want to see better footwork and hip snap when releasing passes, will help trajectory on deep throws

-----------------------------------

Matt Miller:

Brandon Williams. The MoSo NT is going to shoot up boards this week. Strength, quickness against top competition are impressive.

Josh Norris:

With others dropping out with the flu (not a bad thing), I've been told Ryan Otten has been battling an illness all week. Plans to stay.

Michael Schottey:

Here's my top Senior Bowl QBs (based JUST on practices this week)--Wilson, Nassib, Glennon, Manuel, Dysert, Jones

Michael Tanier:

Coach Allen on Denard Robinson at WR: "very willing to learn."

Coach Allen said he has enjoyed watching the Erik Fisher vs Okafor line battles. (They have been good)

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Adam Caplan:

Chris Harper - Impressive week. Not fast at all, but does get some separation

Daniel Jeremiah:

La Tech WR Quinton Patton has been excellent at the Sr Bowl. Nice mix of quickness/toughness and he has strong hands. #SeniorBowl

Michael Schottey:

Top RB for me was Stepfan Taylor (Stanford) but loved Johnathan Franklin (UCLA)…the latter was a more dynamic runner, Taylor better overall

Moreover, if you look into the backgrounds of Taylor & Franklin, they are great kids. Both guys I would want on my team and in my lockeroom

At receiver, I thought Markus Wheaton, Chris Harper and Marquise Goodwin helped themselves a lot. Terrence Williams was the top dog though

Also at receiver, Denard Robinson was a train-wreck. We knew he would be a project, but he's got more work to do than anyone thought

Was incredibly spoiled w/ pass rushing talent at least year's game, but was underwhelmed this year--Ansah, Hunt & Okafor all disappointed me

Edwards (LSU) & Buchanan (Illinois) were two ends who helped themselves the most. Okafor looked good, but didn't do anything to move up IMO

Bears repeating that the best player in Mobile was Eric Fisher (OL Central Michigan)…won't challenge Joeckel, but he's the No. 2 OT. Period.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Datone Jones could be creeping up to our first round pick area. He has the 5 technique size and has supposedly been MMA training since the season was over and it looks like it is translating to the Senior Bowl practice field. He had 6.5 sacks and 19 TFL this season. Possible J Smith understudy?

I've been saying for months that Jones is a Baalke/Harbaugh/Fangio type player.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ryan Lownes:

Actually liking Mike Glennon more than I thought I would. Certainly not much of an improvisor, but can really stretch the field vertically.

Glennon stands tall and confidently in the pocket, but largely because he knows he isn't escaping pressure with his feet

------------------------------------

Matt Miller:

Marquise Goodwin's stock will be all over the place, team-to-team, but I'd grab him in Rd 2. That athleticism can't be coached.

-------------------------------

Michael Schottey:

Goodwin leaves people in his dust by going from 1st to 5th gear quicker than anyone. Austin is precise and quick through his cuts.

When Goodwin is asked to run a one-cut/straight-line route, he's faster than Austin...struggles w/more complex routes that Austin shines in

Vocal leader of the week was Montori Hughes (DL Tennessee-Martin)…told John Jenkins, "You're a big guy with little boy dreams"

Jenkins is such a stud in a phone booth, but has really worried me in terms of conditioning. Will be interested in how he shows up to Indy.

Shawn Zobel:

QB rankings after the past two weeks: T. Wilson, Barkley, G. Smith, T. Bray, Glennon, Nassib, L. Jones, E. Manuel, Dysert

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ryan Lownes:

Ryan Nassib will appeal to WCO teams primarily while Mike Glennon fits into a Coryellian vertical offense. Personally saw more from Glennon

Teams that could good fits for Mike Glennon: Cleveland, Arizona, San Diego, Tampa Bay. Due to QB troubles, #Cardinals and #Browns stand out.

Alex Marvez:

FSU QB E.J. Manuel said his mom will undergo breast cancer surgery Feb. 1. Will spend few days with her, then back 2 training. @SiriusXMNFL

Sideline View:

Loved the nastiness from OG Winters & OT Pugh (will have to play G or C due to very short arms) out at practice field. Both had good weeks

Mike Gillislee really impressed me at times w/ a little more burst than expected. I think teams will like him as solid RB2 w/ RB1 potential

Shawn Zobel:

I talked to UCLA's Datone Jones tonight. Hes very confident about his performance this week. He said teams love his versatility, as expected

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Geoff Mosher:

Need more proof #Eagles are switching to a 3-4? They told OLB/DE Mike Buchanan that he'd fit their scheme

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Datone Jones could be creeping up to our first round pick area. He has the 5 technique size and has supposedly been MMA training since the season was over and it looks like it is translating to the Senior Bowl practice field. He had 6.5 sacks and 19 TFL this season. Possible J Smith understudy?

I've been thinking that, too. Frame to add some weight, explosive and powerful. I could live with that pick.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Doug Farrar:

A few quick Senior Bowl notes from Wednesday ... Convinced that in the right system, EJ Manuel could be the best QB prospect here this week

I like Barner/Franklin a lot, but all in all, Stanford's Stepfan Taylor seems the best overall back. Power/speed/elusiveness. No major flaws

Other point with Manuel -- NFL teams w/more athletic QBs, more route concepts off the line. More likely to take high-ceiling over high floor

Eric Galko:

Just reviewed all of Datone Jones's snaps this week. He had an incredible week. More notes tomorrow, but best D-Lineman this week, easily.

Daniel Jeremiah:

Every time I watch Texas WR Marquise Goodwin take a rep, I think of spaceballs. "Prepare ship for ludicrous speed."

Watched tape, Central Michigan OT Eric Fisher got beat a couple times today. Gave up sack in team on inside counter by Okafor. #SeniorBowl

Fisher is an outstanding prospect. Likely top 10 pick. However, he is late/wide with his punch too often. Something to work on. #SeniorBowl

After watching the tape, star of the day was Missouri Southern DT Brandon Williams. Destroyed OG Brian Winters repeatedly.

Washington CB Desmond Trufant looks like a 1st rounder, moves like a first rounder and competes like a 1st rounder. #Prediction #SeniorBowl

Studied today's tape, Glennon was the top QB. He made several stick throws but his pocket awareness/movement needs improvement. #SeniorBowl

Dysert hasn't looked great in practice. More of a gamer. Little disappointed in the lack of velocity/accuracy

Ziggy Ansah has a ton of ability but he doesn't have a gameplan as pass rusher. Rushes down the #'s every snap. #SeniorBowl

Glennon and L. Jones are both excellent when the pocket is clean/clear. Both guys need work on operating in traffic.

Dysert is the opposite of Glennon/Jones. He's better working out of chaos than pure drop back stuff. #SeniorBowl

Kenjon Barner very average. Haven't seen much juice. Gillislee & Taylor have been top 2 backs. #SeniorBowl

Matt Miller:

Was anyone more impressive today than Brandon Williams? It must be because we're both from Joplin.

Have a Rd2 grade on Justin Pugh, but he could be drafted late one due to need and his upside.

-------------------------------

Josh Norris:

Researching these 1 on 1s from practice. Warford is as advertised. And then some. Posture, latch, control, anchor.

Kawann Short whooped Brian Winters multiple times on day two. Latter stepping out of place, overextending.

A lot is going to be made about Pugh’s lack of length, but he certainly outperformed tackles with longer arms. Can win close to chest.

bigninerfan56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I really like his explosion and quickness. I think he has pretty good balance too in tight situations.

My two questions/concerns would be his ability to anchor at the point of attack in the 5 technique and it seemed that sometimes during his college career he ran a little hot/cold.

I also didn't realize just how much he weighed. I always figured he was around 265. If he can put on 10-15 more good pounds and keep that explosiveness he might be too good to pass up.