• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Second Round: Pittsburgh Penguins vs. Washington Capitals

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Curious, do you believe that if the player receiving that hit has never had a concussion that it results in no injury, particularly no concussion?
I think it's certainly possible añd more than certain his injury would not result in the same recovery Crosby will face. It's completely naive to not admit that Sidney's concussion history is not playing a part in his status moving forward. There is plenty of medical evidence.

I understand the wording of my post describing Crosby's brain as made of glass was a bit too strong and led to a reaction. But it was my reaction to stories like this clown in Pittsburgh claiming the Caps huddled up to devise a plan to take out your star. It is now apparently a rallying call as some of your fans are actually buying that load of crap. Niskanen has no history of this sort of thing, again your star was on the doorstep about to score a goal that probably ends the Caps season, this wasn't at center ice in the first period. They were simply trying to prevent the score.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But it was my reaction to stories like this clown in Pittsburgh claiming the Caps huddled up to devise a plan to take out your star. It is now apparently a rallying call as some of your fans are actually buying that load of crap.

None of the Pens' posters on here have stated they believe that. Several of them actually called the author of that story a joke.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All of this pretty much sucks for us long time Caps fans. Not only are we down and probably going to lose to the team that always beats us when it matters but even if they do shock the world and win the series it will always be tainted. Fuck me, is it too much to ask for our team not to steal our souls every spring for 30 years?.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me try to make it more clear for you:

Sidney Crosby has a history of concussions. This is not news. What is also not news is concussions come much more easily to those who have had a history. So therefore it is a logical conclusion that had this been another player he very well could have gotten up from that hit and all this noise goes away. It's probably no more than a 2 minute penalty for cross checking in the crease, a penalty we see virtually every game without the fan fare.

If you think this is "blaming the victim" you are off base, just trying to explain why it may have resulted in a worse situation given Sid's concussion history. Unless of course you are prepared to argue against all the medical research that links past concussions with future risks.

If you presented it like that and not like it's some form of fragility, maybe I'd listen more. That hit would concuss *most* people, regardless of injury history. It's not like the one that caused him problems from Hedman years back.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None of the Pens' posters on here have stated they believe that. Several of them actually called the author of that story a joke.

Yeah you are probably right about that, I obviously should have worded that post differently. My apologies to the Pens fans.

But it doesn't change the point and that is Sid's concussion history is a huge factor here.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's certainly possible añd more than certain his injury would not result in the same recovery Crosby will face. It's completely naive to not admit that Sidney's concussion history is not playing a part in his status moving forward. There is plenty of medical evidence.

I understand the wording of my post describing Crosby's brain as made of glass was a bit too strong and led to a reaction. But it was my reaction to stories like this clown in Pittsburgh claiming the Caps huddled up to devise a plan to take out your star. It is now apparently a rallying call as some of your fans are actually buying that load of crap. Niskanen has no history of this sort of thing, again your star was on the doorstep about to score a goal that probably ends the Caps season, this wasn't at center ice in the first period. They were simply trying to prevent the score.
Your description of his brain made of glass was insulting and negligent of the force and pressure applied by a cross chek of a hockey stick to some ones melon. Poor phrasing...I can live with that...However, regardless of his prior history, that was a severe/extreme blow to the melon that I predict, would concuss everyone.

As for the rest, not one Pens fan should believe there are conspiracies to take players out...that's just tinfoil shit...

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah you are probably right about that, I obviously should have worded that post differently. My apologies to the Pens fans.

But it doesn't change the point and that is Sid's concussion history is a huge factor here.
I'd argue his hx affects the length of recovery, but not really whether or not he'd sustain injury on that hit. Now, I don't subscribe to the idea that "x amount of force=automatic concussion" because everyone is different, but that hit would've caused injury to a significant amount of people. The hx does ramp up the reaction though. Dude has already climbed through this shit hole a few times.

All of this pretty much sucks for us long time Caps fans. Not only are we down and probably going to lose to the team that always beats us when it matters but even if they do shock the world and win the series it will always be tainted. Fuck me, is it too much to ask for our team not to steal our souls every spring for 30 years?.

Yes...yes it will. And I take small solace in that. The Caps go on to win the Cup, it won't really matter, but in my head this will be the lynch pin of the series, because I realllllly think they win game 3 with Sid, especially on the powerplay.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your description of his brain made of glass was insulting and negligent of the force and pressure applied by a cross chek of a hockey stick to some ones melon. Poor phrasing...I can live with that...However, regardless of his prior history, that was a severe/extreme blow to the melon that I predict, would concuss everyone.

As for the rest, not one Pens fan should believe there are conspiracies to take players out...that's just tinfoil shit...

Yeah, anyone buying the Dejan/Rossi stuff is just an idiot. For some reason people love DK and I just don't get it. He's pathetic. Most of that opinion comes from how he handles Pirates coverage, but he's still just annoying as hell.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, anyone buying the Dejan/Rossi stuff is just an idiot. For some reason people love DK and I just don't get it. He's pathetic. Most of that opinion comes from how he handles Pirates coverage, but he's still just annoying as hell.

People like this guy the way they got onboard that other clown Don Cherry, I'll never understand it. But given Rossi is popular as you say I'm not buying for a second that all Pens fans think his theory is wrong. The stands tonight will be full of fans convinced they hurt Crosby on purpose, fuck that.

Now I see Ovi was the culprit and should be suspended according to some. This shit never stops which again is the reason for my reaction. He should have been penalized for a slash for sure but was he really supposed to just let Crosby score? I can argue he saved the game for Washington for doing everything he could to avoid that score.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Tainted my ass. Injuries are part of the game. The winner of the series goes on to play in the conference finals. Period.

:thumb:

Jared

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes...yes it will. And I take small solace in that. The Caps go on to win the Cup, it won't really matter, but in my head this will be the lynch pin of the series, because I realllllly think they win game 3 with Sid, especially on the powerplay.

On the flipside, there will be no comfort for the Caps fans if they don't win this series.

The Pens are without their best forward, best Dman, and last year's Cup winning goalie. That last one is a stretch, since MAF has been brilliant, but still.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the flipside, there will be no comfort for the Caps fans if they don't win this series.

The Pens are without their best forward, best Dman, and last year's Cup winning goalie. That last one is a stretch, since MAF has been brilliant, but still.

Yeah, if we lose it doesn't matter if it was to the Wilkes-Barre Pens or the Western Conference All-Stars. Survive and advance. Elation for the survivors. Despair for the losers.

The jokes on you Penguins' fans, we're used to losing in the second round and emotionally prepared for it! ;)

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I subscribe to his site to read Matt Gajtka's stuff and for no other reason, because he does a bunch of stuff with stats, and you all know how I feel about numbers. :nerd:

Romantically, is how I feel about numbers, by the way.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

tumblr_ojqniy1e9K1udh5n8o1_500.gif

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I'm pretty sure at least 85% of Rossi's traffic is hate reads so people can comment directly on the articles to tell him what a spoon he is.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I subscribe to his site to read Matt Gajtka's stuff and for no other reason, because he does a bunch of stuff with stats, and you all know how I feel about numbers. :nerd:

I was subscribed to him for a bit because he was taking some of the best writers in town. I still like Yohe mostly, and Gajtka is also good, but DK himself is insufferable. He loves following all his "people" on twitter to basically censor them, then block them when they go AWOL. He's just...weird. I give him a lot of props for going off on his own and having decent success with it, but everything else about him pisses me off. Literally anything he says about the Pirates is an obnoxious biased rant. They can do no right, and all because they don't give him the same access as the Pens do. He's on the other end of the spectrum with the Pens because they gave him exclusive interviews with Mario/Burkle, so he'll rarely criticize.