• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Second Round: Pittsburgh Penguins vs. Washington Capitals

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a Disgrace that Matt Niskanen won't be Suspended.

That was a cheapshot at Crosby's head.

It's a Fucking joke right now......
It's worse than when there were two Doink the clowns.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are two distinct issues here.

1. The play happens all the time, and
2. When it results in an injury, players don't take full responsibility for an action which could easily result in an injury (because it happens all the time).

If we're going to just accept cross-checks in the crease, of varying viciousness, as part of the game (which it seems we are), then players likewise need to accept the responsibility for their actions when something goes horribly awry. That doesn't mean it's a suspendable or even finable offense. It just means players should be willing to accept the responsibility for doing a dangerous thing and it resulting in an injury to another player.

Like Niskanen's cross check, Crosby's slash that injured Methot back in the regular season didn't carry any explicit intent to injure, and as such, both are only fringe suspendable offenses. But neither player should hide behind "it happens all the time" to justify it. They both did a thing which could easily have resulted in an injury, and they knew that. Accept responsibility for that action. If you slash down on a guy's stick to try to take it, you're taking the risk that you'll catch them in the hand. If you cross-check a player, you take the risk that you'll get them in a bad spot. In each case, you're just trying to disrupt a player. In each case, the reward of disruption carries the risk of injury, and every player knows that.

The alternative, of course, is to eliminate the behavior altogether. Cross-checking isn't the only way to clear the front of the net, just as slashing isn't the only way to disrupt a puck carrier. Players could find alternatives if these things were consistently enough called penalties to discourage them. But right now, slashing and cross-checking are easy, and they frequently go unpunished--even with minor penalties--so here we are.

He was given a 5 minute game misconduct and thrown out of Game 3 of the playoffs. This was neither "unpunished" or a "minor penalty".

Jared

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd go back and suggest you look at the replay, two hits to the head then tried what looked to be a Slew Foot move....

Grow up?...okay..

I am sure it's no harm no foul just like the Adam Graves slash in '92 on Lemieux to get him out of the game........

I've watched that replay dozens of times. Ovechkin was retracting his stick when he hit Crosby in the head. He slashed him up by the shoulder. The glancing blow to the head was less about intent to injure and more about not controlling his stick. The "slew foot" appears to me to be the player (Ovechkin again) trying to stop in front of his net.

Niskanen's hit was brutal. I still say he didn't target the head, but it was brutal nonetheless.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's worse than when there were two Doink the clowns.

:clap:

hqdefault.jpg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was given a 5 minute game misconduct and thrown out of Game 3 of the playoffs. This was neither "unpunished" or a "minor penalty".

The point is he cross-checks at all because cross-checks near the net usually go unpunished. If cross-checks were called consistently in front of the net, it might not even occur to Niskanen as a thing to do. That's the point I thought I was very clear in making.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The point is he cross-checks at all because cross-checks near the net usually go unpunished. If cross-checks were called consistently in front of the net, it might not even occur to Niskanen as a thing to do. That's the point I thought I was very clear in making.

It's really not Niskanen's fault the guy he hit has a brain made of glass. Had it been anyone else they probably get up and this thing would have been nothing. But since it's a superstar who is now out people are piling on and making it more than it was. I mean I get it, it was a bad hit that took out the games best player so I understand the anger. But when you have a clown in Pittsburg saying they met behind closed doors to hatch a plan to take out Crosby it's like a lot of people in Pittsburg have collectively lost their minds and are not thinking rationally.

As for Niskanen taking responsibility again as you said cross checking near the goal happens constantly. What does he have to apologize for, he got 5 minutes and thrown out. He was just trying to explain his actions.

Jared

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just saw this still of the Crosby hit.

My extensive medical training (I play golf with my wife's gynecologist) tells me that due to the fact that he was hit in the jaw and not the skull his concussion is not that severe and he will be back sooner rather than later.

upload_2017-5-3_10-42-7.png

Shut up, I'm looking on the bright side.

Attachments

• upload_2017-5-3_10-43-1.png
    upload_2017-5-3_10-43-1.png
    159.5 KB · Views: 4

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's really not Niskanen's fault the guy he hit has a brain made of glass. Had it been anyone else they probably get up and this thing would have been nothing. But since it's a superstar who is now out people are piling on and making it more than it was. I mean I get it, it was a bad hit that took out the games best player so I understand the anger. But when you have a clown in Pittsburg saying they met behind closed doors to hatch a plan to take out Crosby it's like a lot of people in Pittsburg have collectively lost their minds and are not thinking rationally.

As for Niskanen taking responsibility again as you said cross checking near the goal happens constantly. What does he have to apologize for, he got 5 minutes and thrown out. He was just trying to explain his actions.

WOW...the bolded is complete horseshit and ignorant on your part...blame the victim much? How do you go about excusing r*pe? Just curious to see how far your ignorance goes...

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WOW...the bolded is complete horseshit and ignorant on your part...blame the victim much? How do you go about excusing r*pe? Just curious to see how far your ignorance goes...

Let me try to make it more clear for you:

Sidney Crosby has a history of concussions. This is not news. What is also not news is concussions come much more easily to those who have had a history. So therefore it is a logical conclusion that had this been another player he very well could have gotten up from that hit and all this noise goes away. It's probably no more than a 2 minute penalty for cross checking in the crease, a penalty we see virtually every game without the fan fare.

If you think this is "blaming the victim" you are off base, just trying to explain why it may have resulted in a worse situation given Sid's concussion history. Unless of course you are prepared to argue against all the medical research that links past concussions with future risks.

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me try to make it more clear for you:

Sidney Crosby has a history of concussions. This is not news. What is also not news is concussions come much more easily to those who have had a history. So therefore it is a logical conclusion that had this been another player he very well could have gotten up from that hit and all this noise goes away. It's probably no more than a 2 minute penalty for cross checking in the crease, a penalty we see virtually every game without the fan fare.

If you think this is "blaming the victim" you are off base, just trying to explain why it may have resulted in a worse situation given Sid's concussion history. Unless of course you are prepared to argue against all the medical research that links past concussions with future risks.

Curious, do you believe that if the player receiving that hit has never had a concussion that it results in no injury, particularly no concussion?

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DG fan, I would just let it go. Your response didn't have much to do with what Darkstone said about how the league handles routine hits of this nature. And to his point, even if there was not malice in Niskanen's action, he is responsible for his stick. Aside from that, the Pens just lost their best player for possibly the series/playoffs, so a little sensitivity towards that may be advised (ahhhhh... its really hard to type that ;) ).

Those who think it was dirty/suspension worthy have a point. Those who think it was a "hockey play" or unfortunate have a point. It is what it is and there's a hockey game tonight.

Jared

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know those playoff games where there are hardly any penalties?

This is going to be the opposite of that. I think there is major powder keg potential tonight if the officials aren't on top of things from start to finish.