• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Second cup of Coffee Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd guess the specific intent is to address the issue 43 posted a few days ago about filling the talent pool. Hypothetically speaking, if Amazon is paying more-or-less the same as other companies in the area, the lack of personal income tax could work strongly in favor of someone choosing Amazon over another company.

I'd think it's essentially trying to give them an unfair advantage in filling all of their open positions.

And the employers that are here, have been here and have built this city will throw serious tantrums. Nationwide, Limited Brands (Victoria's Secret, Bath and Body Works, etc) plus Ohio State. Hell, the State Government is gonna lose a metric ton of people if they come here.

I will gladly milk it. Stay where I am and make a bunch more. Fine with me.

/FWIW, Toronto didn’t offer Amazon shit all (but they would save on medical benefits here). There might be some sort of land donation scheme they would negotiate like Google did (the Portlands area are still very available for someone to go in and totally leave their mark on them and is the size of two downtown Toronto’s).

That's a big benefit here. Tons of land. They could build their own city. 20 miles out of the city center in any direction is essentially farmland.

Bob Evans restaurants complained to the city of Columbus about their old location in south Columbus. They were basically handed 150 acres tax free by New Albany, a former small town 10 miles outside the outer loop. They already have a data center there, and nothing but farms past it.

Yeah, that list could go on for a long time.

I'd guess the level of incentives are generally proportional to how desirable the area is in the first place. It's not a shock that Newark would have to offer a lot more than Toronto because other than "it's close to New York City" I think most people would agree that Toronto is a more desirable place to live than Newark.

Also depends on what "desirable" means to them. To me a crowded, expensive place that is only a short trip to a place like NYC is not desirable. I like my good, clean little cow town with it's low crime and easy maneuverability.

One thing is for sure, if Amazon does come here, that whole "Bullet Train Hub" idea might actually take off. hour and a half to DC. 2 Hours or a tad more to Chicago, Nashville or Toronto. Sign. Me. Up.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a big benefit here. Tons of land. They could build their own city. 20 miles out of the city center in any direction is essentially farmland.
I’m not claiming to know what exactly Amazon are looking for but given how they headquartered in Seattle, with their offices dotted around an urban centre, it would be a change for Amazon to switch to wanting a more typical for high tech suburban campus.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m not claiming to know what exactly Amazon are looking for but given how they headquartered in Seattle, with their offices dotted around an urban centre, it would be a change for Amazon to switch to wanting a more typical for high tech suburban campus.

They can accommodate that too. Lots of space just to the west of the river downtown, and some open space near the arena.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bbobhetq9nb01.jpg

:L

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to factor in all of the other revenues that result to get the actual economic impact. For example, all 50K of those people are going to be buying groceries, clothes, eating at restaurants, going to movies, etc. which results in sales tax being paid. And those stores/restaurants/theaters are going to hire more people because they're busier, resulting in more jobs and more taxes being paid.

Amazon isn't directly hiring 50,000 people, right? It was my understanding that the 50,000 figure was jobs created by the campus relocating including direct hires, construction, and additional small businesses and stores that would open to accommodate these new employees. But if I misread that, then you are correct.

Still don't think the math bears out though when you compare it to other ways that money could be used... not that you were arguing for or against that.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amazon isn't directly hiring 50,000 people, right? It was my understanding that the 50,000 figure was jobs created by the campus relocating including direct hires, construction, and additional small businesses and stores that would open to accommodate these new employees. But if I misread that, then you are correct.

Still don't think the math bears out though when you compare it to other ways that money could be used... not that you were arguing for or against that.
My understanding is:

1) Amazon employs about 40,000 people at their various offices that act as their Seattle HQ, with expectations of that number to push past 50,000 in the near future, and

2) Amazon is opening HQ2 with the intention of it fully functioning as an equivalent HQ to their current Seattle base, including similar employee count.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd guess the specific intent is to address the issue 43 posted a few days ago about filling the talent pool. Hypothetically speaking, if Amazon is paying more-or-less the same as other companies in the area, the lack of personal income tax could work strongly in favor of someone choosing Amazon over another company.

I'd think it's essentially trying to give them an unfair advantage in filling all of their open positions.

I think these prospective cities that are trying to offer income tax rebates/credits to amazon employees are just trying to keep their "bids" competitive. Amazon has seen what the luxury of operating in a zero state income tax jurisdiction (ie wash. st) can do. It helps in recruiting, especially when your candidate is coming from other parts of the world. And if they want to move some employees from hq1 to hq2, having that second operation in an income tax free state would help with that

Companies like this also tend to attract spin-off industries that tie in to the large corporation they’re trying to buy into their jurisdiction and the educated & well-off workforces that tend to go with those companies, too.

Using seattle as an example, tech companies are all about locational inertia. You get an amazon, youre likely to get a google, expedia, facebook or yes a smaller tech office to open and locate in your city. Because it becomes that much easier to skim employees from other tech companies. My bro in law says there is alot of incestuous jumping from microsoft to amazon to etc in seattle. lol

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Using seattle as an example, tech companies are all about locational inertia. You get an amazon, youre likely to get a google, expedia, facebook or yes a smaller tech office to open and locate in your city. Because it becomes that much easier to skim employees from other tech companies. My bro in law says there is alot of incestuous jumping from microsoft to amazon to etc in seattle. lol
This. The thinking here is Toronto's still on the list because all those companies you named already have somewhat sizable operations here and U of Waterloo has become a bit of a tech education hotbed (and the bid package made sure to include Kitchener-Waterloo bits while omitting anything regarding the closer Niagara Region).

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just wondering which poster on the Politics board this is. ;)

I think we can all agree that we need to go right to the top and punish the leaders who are radicalizing these people.

Anyone know who coined the term "Fake News"?

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we can all agree that we need to go right to the top and punish the leaders who are radicalizing these people.

Anyone know who coined the term "Fake News"?

Same guy who "invented" the following: the phrase "priming the pump," the idea for a wall, Trump Ice

Status
Not open for further replies.