• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Second cup of Coffee Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I was advising Jenny McCarthy with regards to her path to the presidency I might suggest she put it out there that Trump is abusing vaccines :think:

He's said he's anti-vaccine and since he always tells the most beautiful, delicious truths that only get standing ovations she'd probably end up in jail with Hillary!!

But regarding Trump and dementia I have a little insight into that:

I was at a gala type dinner last year (something the missus did got us there, not me) with a bunch or research scientists. I got tipsy on free champagne and chatted with some cool people (if you're kind of a nerd like me). One was a neurologist that I spoke with for about 30 minutes. He had been at a similar function in 2014 or 2015 (I forget) with the Donald and luckily ended up at his table. This guy's research program involves Alzheimer's studies almost exclusively. For what it's worth he said that after that after spending a couple of hours with him that Tronald Dump ticked all his boxes for a person suffering from the early stages of dementia.

I didn't necessarily buy it then. I do now.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That man is demented. Really. He is not well. And I'm not talking about just plain old ultra-alpha syndrome. He's in the early stages (at least) of some form of dementia.

Reading that, I got distinct Deja Vu about conversations with my Grandmother right around the time she was diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

She didn't boast about crowd sizes or anything like that, but she had certain things she latched onto and kept circling back to. Like it was something she understood and she kept bringing it into conversations so she could feel in control.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reading that, I got distinct Deja Vu about conversations with my Grandmother right around the time she was diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

She didn't boast about crowd sizes or anything like that, but she had certain things she latched onto and kept circling back to. Like it was something she understood and she kept bringing it into conversations so she could feel in control.

Exactly!! My grandfather did the same thing right around age 90.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your grandparents were Sad! Mine gave the best speeches had the highest Q-ratings!

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your grandparents were Sad! Mine gave the best speeches had the highest Q-ratings!

Yeah, whatever man!! That was a low blow. I didn't think that someone who lived in Baltimore, which is really close to Washington DC, would be so underhanded.

Meanwhile I bet your grandpa was all like:

tFlo5Q.gif

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, whatever man!! That was a low blow. I didn't think that someone who lived in Baltimore, which is really close to Washington DC, would be so underhanded.

Meanwhile I bet your grandpa was all like:

tFlo5Q.gif
Just because you are beloved by a bunch of boy scouts and webelows (suspect) doesn't mean you are better than others. I am sure that if I went down to the gymnasium to show the scouts some of my handball moves that I would be loved by them too.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just because you are beloved by a bunch of boy scouts and webelows (suspect) doesn't mean you are better than others. I am sure that if I went down to the gymnasium to show the scouts some of my handball moves that I would be loved by them too.

you disgust me comeds!

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well, that's the best thing I'm going to read all day lol

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably had to check with his boss prior to signing.

kmZPCP6.png

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, that's the best thing I'm going to read all day lol

I am going to guess that you posted this before jstew cracked the code, "A Beautiful Mind" style.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the keyboard of Dan Rather:

Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

...or not. Today a closed door is the message coming out of the White House from President Trump and some Congressional allies. They can dress it up as much as they want, but it harkens back to some of the uglier moments of our republic.

There was a time when school children would learn the words of Emma Lazarus emblazoned on the Statue of Liberty without a cloud of irony. For all the debate and demonization around illegal immigration - and it should be noted that that issue is a complicated one - what was largely uncontroversial was legal immigration.

That hasn't always been the case. From the Know Nothing Party who railed against Catholics "ruining the real America" in the mid-19th century, to the anti-semitism, anti-Asian, and all the other anti feelings after the great waves of immigration over the 19th and early 20th century, several times we have seen bigotry undermine America's destiny as a land of open opportunity.

Now of course we cannot be home to everyone, but we can be as humane as possible. We also can recognize how much immigrants have shaped our culture, powered our economy, and sparked our scientific and technical innovations.

As President Trump sees a country increasingly unified against his divisive agenda, he is reaching for one of the oldest tools in the American political playbook. Stir division. Pit people against each other. Blame others for your own problems. Like with his attacks on transgender soldiers, I think the blowback here will be strong.

I suspect Mr. Trump will couch this action by saying he is fighting for the rights of blue-collar America (which in his incarnation is mostly white). He may get some traction. We do need an open and honest debate over immigration in America, but do we really want to begin that debate with a cynical gambit such as this?

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Other than the last paragraph..

But stories are also the only means of humanising those deemed inhuman; to create pity, compassion, sympathy, even love for those who are strange and strangers. Stories decide the difference between life and death.

I think it makes a pretty valid point. Not exactly breaking news that the film industry casts based on something other than accuracy, but other than that I don't see the problem with that piece.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other than the last paragraph..

But stories are also the only means of humanising those deemed inhuman; to create pity, compassion, sympathy, even love for those who are strange and strangers. Stories decide the difference between life and death.

I think it makes a pretty valid point. Not exactly breaking news that the film industry casts based on something other than accuracy, but other than that I don't see the problem with that piece.
Did you see Dunkirk? The movie focused on three individual stories, each one an anglophone engaged in combat of some sort. It barely even touched on the French rearguard actions that were really one of the only things keeping Dunkirk from being a Nazi rout (also, I don't think it showed a single Nazi?).

That article talks about French soldiers from its colonies but most of the French soldiers from those colonies were, wait for it, French colonizers, so even if they showed those soldiers they'd be indistinguishable from those from Metropolitan France.

The author talks about the Indian mule driver regiments, a whole whopping four of them, who were present at Dunkirk. Why would that be the focus of a film made up of three combat stories, only one of which was focused on the ground?

There's a thread on this up at AskHistorians and it mentions that the Merchant Navy (from where a lot of the rescue boats were pulled) were often up to 25% crewed by minorities from British colonies. As there were no MN vessels represented in the film, there are none shown.

Which begs how this could even be close to true:

In a deeply divided, fearful Britain, Nolan’s directorial choices succeed as a Brexiteer costume fantasy, but they fail to tell the story of Operation Dynamo, the war, and Britain. More importantly, they fail us all, as people and a nation.

It's basically saying if you're making a historical piece and you're not willing to inject and give a significant portion of screentime to a minority plot line, even if you have to take a thread and make a sweater out of it to get anything remotely tangible from that plot line, you're a racist. That's ludicrous.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you see Dunkirk? The movie focused on three individual stories, each one an anglophone engaged in combat of some sort. It barely even touched on the French rearguard actions that were really one of the only things keeping Dunkirk from being a Nazi rout (also, I don't think it showed a single Nazi?).

That article talks about French soldiers from its colonies but most of the French soldiers from those colonies were, wait for it, French colonizers, so even if they showed those soldiers they'd be indistinguishable from those from Metropolitan France.

The author talks about the Indian mule driver regiments, a whole whopping four of them, who were present at Dunkirk. Why would that be the focus of a film made up of three combat stories, only one of which was focused on the ground?

There's a thread on this up at AskHistorians and it mentions that the Merchant Navy (from where a lot of the rescue boats were pulled) were often up to 25% crewed by minorities from British colonies. As there were no MN vessels represented in the film, there are none shown.

Which begs how this could even be close to true:

In a deeply divided, fearful Britain, Nolan’s directorial choices succeed as a Brexiteer costume fantasy, but they fail to tell the story of Operation Dynamo, the war, and Britain. More importantly, they fail us all, as people and a nation.

It's basically saying if you're making a historical piece and you're not willing to inject and give a significant portion of screentime to a minority plot line, even if you have to take a thread and make a sweater out of it to get anything remotely tangible from that plot line, you're a racist. That's ludicrous.

I have not seen the movie. I figured I must be missing something because if the author was describing the film (and it's inaccuracies) accurately there is nothing wrong with his position. From what you're saying it seems he is not.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have not seen the movie. I figured I must be missing something because if the author was describing the film (and it's inaccuracies) accurately there is nothing wrong with his position. From what you're saying it seems he is not.
It was akin to if The Office were a real documentary and people got upset because the cleaning crew that comes into the building at night didn't get the same air time as Toby from HR (hero to Comeds) and, at least to me, having pieces like this that try to turn it into a representation of bias in the entertainment industry doesn't actually do any favours for the movement for more equality in film and television.

I'm just sick of good ideas being abused by selfish assholes to get a few minutes on CNN while people who actually work to change things have to deal with the consequences.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a similar vein, the firestorm that's swirling around US legal immigration reform today is insane. The exchange between Stephen Miller and Jim Acosta where Acosta got his 5 minutes of screen time today by arguing the idea of giving prospective immigrants points for being proficient in English is, in short, racist was ridiculous. Just to use an example close to home, this is from the Immigration Canada website:

Language skills
(Maximum 28 points)

Being able to communicate and work in one or both of Canada’s official languages is very important. Knowing English, French or both helps you in the Canadian job market.

You can get up to 28 points for your skills in English and French. We’ll give you points based on your ability to:

• write
  • read
  • listen
  • speak
(Selection factors: federal skilled workers)

I know for a fact we're not the only ones that do this. This faux outrage only serves to remove the focus from other serious immigration issues that need airtime right now.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jenny McCarthy is a dangerous person and people need to stop listening to her and granting her interviews.

Oh yeah and as we all know how far an idiot with a stupid rant can go with how many people will follow said person. :L

Status
Not open for further replies.