• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Second cup of Coffee Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I guess Canada should be added to Trump's travel ban now?

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sometimes I feel like a supporting character in my own life.

I hope I at least have "and also" before my name.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hey ... OJ might get paroled in a couple of years ... might i suggest a 2 for 1 community college seminar offering ... "Investigation 101: How to find the real killers" ... and this ...

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Food for thought:
Opinion | What About the Terrorism of the Far Right?

With a rather sobering fact mixed in...
The frequency of far-right attacks is particularly significant in the United States, where white supremacist, anti-government and neo-Nazi extremists have been responsible for 73 percent of deadly terrorist attacks since Sept. 11, 2001, according to the Government Accountability Office.

Who exactly is the greatest threat here?

Assigning everyone to "teams" and treating either side like they are "the enemy" is not going to make anything better. Be better than this forty_three.

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assigning everyone to "teams" and treating either side like they are "the enemy" is not going to make anything better. Be better than this forty_three.

I didn't write it...

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't write it...

I think it's fair to say that it seemed like you were tacitly endorsing it. It sounded a lot like "there may be flies on some of YOU GUYS, but there ain't no flies on US!".

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's fair to say that it seemed like you were tacitly endorsing it. It sounded a lot like "there may be flies on some of YOU GUYS, but there ain't no flies on US!".

Not my intention, sorry if it seemed that way.

I just thought it interesting that the blind generalizations about where the threat is coming from is quite inaccurate. I'm not picking sides as I am neither kind of terrorist. Both need to go away, but only one is getting attention.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not my intention, sorry if it seemed that way.

I just thought it interesting that the blind generalizations about where the threat is coming from is quite inaccurate. I'm not picking sides as I am neither kind of terrorist. Both need to go away, but only one is getting attention.

You're kind of doing it again here though, assigning these acts to their own sides. Murderous looney tunes who happen to have some political beliefs in common (or even some common motives) are not all on the same "team".

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're kind of doing it again here though, assigning these acts to their own sides. Murderous looney tunes who happen to have some political beliefs in common (or even some common motives) are not all on the same "team".

eh. From a threat analytics perspective there is value in reviewing commonalities in attacks to determine what your threat vectors are.

To me the piece highlights that's been done and one clear set of commonalities is being largely ignored, when it could be argued that set of commonalities is a more clear and present danger.

Threat analytics is part of my job, so maybe I am seeing it a bit different. I don't think it's trying to say all of any one group is bad or pitting group v group. To me it seems to state facts about threats and ask why the more immediate danger isn't being looked at as sharply. That's what I got out of it.

Like if you are a bank, and most hackers are attacking you through your ATM software to steal money. It's counter productive to spend most of your efforts protecting your HVAC system software. Not that you shouldn't protect it at all, just spend effort where the threat is more likely to surface.

I guess agree to disagree on this one. :suds:

edit: I should be clear that I see your point, and agree that too much us vs them is very counterproductive. It's just that is not what I got from this is all.

Last edited:

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
eh. From a threat analytics perspective there is value in reviewing commonalities in attacks to determine what your threat vectors are.

To me the piece highlights that's been done and one clear set of commonalities is being largely ignored, when it could be argued that set of commonalities is a more clear and present danger.

Threat analytics is part of my job, so maybe I am seeing it a bit different. I don't think it's trying to say all of any one group is bad or pitting group v group. To me it seems to state facts about threats and ask why the more immediate danger isn't being looked at as sharply. That's what I got out of it.

Like if you are a bank, and most hackers are attacking you through your ATM software to steal money. It's counter productive to spend most of your efforts protecting your HVAC system software. Not that you shouldn't protect it at all, just spend effort where the threat is more likely to surface.

I guess agree to disagree on this one. :suds:

edit: I should be clear that I see your point, and agree that too much us vs them is very counterproductive. It's just that is not what I got from this is all.

These are some of the incidents grouped together as similar in the GAO study.

"White supremacist inmate killed his African
American cellmate"

"Anti-government 'constitutionalist' killed 2 in
standoff over land"

" Six white supremacist inmates beat another
prisoner to death"

"White supremacist murdered his stepfather to
gain 'street cred' "

" Two white supremacists killed a husband and
wife because the husband was a sex offender"

"Far rightist murdered a homeless man"

"
Middle school skinhead student shot and killed
gay peer"

" Anti-government 'Sovereign Citizen' murdered an Ohio police officer"

If you see these incidents as all being similar and having some common aid/remedy more power to you, but I really don't see it. In particular the prison killings jump out at me as being particularly out of place and dissimilar here. There are fights in prisons, there are murders in prisons, there are members of the Aryan Brotherhood in prisons. Good luck trying to prevent any of those 3 things.

And of course I would add that I don't think it's terribly productive treating every guy that swings a knife screaming "Allahu Akbar!" like he's an ISIS operative or the head of an organized sleeper cell either.

Last edited:

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5 years ago this week:

Trump accurately calling the Real Estate bottom in 2012. You don't become a billionaire by accident. You get there by being fucking godlike at what you do in your industry! • r/The_Donald

oebo63bhf85z.png

Status
Not open for further replies.