• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SEC Network

BucksFanInGA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Get what you pay for....Being as the SEC provides the best product, why shouldn't the cost be a little more>>>:lol:

Unless you live outside the south, then it's worth less...

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all, of course it's expensive ... when youhave the top football that everyone wants to see, and will pay unlimited dollars for it, you charge what you want. :whistle:

And, second, what do you mean no good games? There are so many good SEC games, week in and week out, they can take the worse games each week and those will better than the best games of the other conferences. Letting them charge whatever they want. :whistle:

You guys just don't think these things through. :nod:

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Truth is these networks are generally bad. It one thing if you are a die hard, but the average cable subscriber really doesnt want this crap. Generally, it is the worst games on the schedule.

Yet SEC fans grab them for pay for view like crazy nothing goes unaired in the SEC (as I would think would be true for most major conferences) so the average SEC fan will pay an extra $15 a year approximately when just one PPV game typically cost $45 so you will actually save $30 bucks a year and get many more choices plus basketball, baseball, ect.

I have seen revenue projections of up to 500 million the first year which maybe high but even if it come in at 200 million that is a over 14 million a year in additional monies per team on top of what they are now getting. To hit the 200 million mark you just have to sell 13.3 million subscriptions across 9 states or 1.5 million a state but we know Texas, Florida, Tennessee and Alabama are going to way more than that.

It is going to be a homerun and when the numbers officially come in the heat to get rid of the LHN is going to be intense as the other Big 12 schools are going to want a piece of the action.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this becomes a bad thing later...

there is something to be said for being able to say "that shows not on right now. deal with it."

I have that conversation with my wife, how he is going to think he can just have what he wants when he wants it.

But we set limits other places, and he is starting to get the hang of things. He's only 2.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm assuming these will be the games that were shown on Channel 21 here in Dallas this year. It was still good football, and the best part for me was that it all started at 11am local. So while the national networks are still doing pre-game for another 2 hours I got decent football.

Hook'Em0608

Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yet SEC fans grab them for pay for view like crazy nothing goes unaired in the SEC (as I would think would be true for most major conferences) so the average SEC fan will pay an extra $15 a year approximately when just one PPV game typically cost $45 so you will actually save $30 bucks a year and get many more choices plus basketball, baseball, ect.

I have seen revenue projections of up to 500 million the first year which maybe high but even if it come in at 200 million that is a over 14 million a year in additional monies per team on top of what they are now getting. To hit the 200 million mark you just have to sell 13.3 million subscriptions across 9 states or 1.5 million a state but we know Texas, Florida, Tennessee and Alabama are going to way more than that.

It is going to be a homerun and when the numbers officially come in the heat to get rid of the LHN is going to be intense as the other Big 12 schools are going to want a piece of the action.

If only ESPN and SEC didn't want their cut too. This type of thinking is what made Clay Travis lose all credibility with his 40 million per team quotes. You can come up with some population numbers to make 600 million become reality like he thought. Difference is all that money isn't gonna go to the SEC schools pockets.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Big 12 can not get that kind of network. There is OU, TExas, and...... Big 12 has 10 teams. 4 of them are the major University in the state. (OU, Texas, Kansas, and WV).. SEC has 14 and they have Florida, Georgia Tenn, Ole Miss, Bama, UK, Ark, and LSU. That is 8. Big 10 paid out 7.6mm. Your numbers are off. Revenue is not profit. Those are vastly different numbers.

Acrux

THEE Real Authoritay ©
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe some of that network earnings can go to the education systems down there, so when my sales people call to supply your schools with books they can actually have money to buy them, or even hire a librarian.

Not a jab at the SEC, but some places like Mississippi and Alabama.. you must hate books our numbers are horrible there. Take after Texas, they have money hand over fist.

BucksFanInGA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe some of that network earnings can go to the education systems down there, so when my sales people call to supply your schools with books they can actually have money to buy them, or even hire a librarian.

Not a jab at the SEC, but some places like Mississippi and Alabama.. you must hate books our numbers are horrible there. Take after Texas, they have money hand over fist.

Certain areas of Ohio aren't in much better shape, bud...

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Depending on your line of work and who you sell to, that can be said about anywhere. When I had a call center job we would all dread 9am Dallas time because that is when California started to wake up. You could literally tell when the California crazies were starting to wake up because the sob stories would suddenly take a "are you kidding me" turn. :laugh3:

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have that conversation with my wife, how he is going to think he can just have what he wants when he wants it.

But we set limits other places, and he is starting to get the hang of things. He's only 2.

When my oldest was about 3 all she watched was PBS or Disney and one night Peter Pan came on ABC so we were watching it on network and a commercial came on. She turned to us and asked "is it over" she has no concept of commercials since they only played at the end of shows on her channels.

She is 15 now and when I told her growing up we only had 4 channels until I was in 2nd grade and got cable for the first time she didn't totally believe me.

Times change it's crazy.

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no....no....no & no........

1. the $1.30 figure is not the same per state but the overall average. st. louis will see somewhere < $1.30 while Gainesville & college station might > $2.00.

2. this is just ESPNs asking price. after some negotiating the price will be worked down. for example, the BTN requested $1.10 but ended up taking around $0.80

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no....no....no & no........

1. the $1.30 figure is not the same per state but the overall average. st. louis will see somewhere < $1.30 while Gainesville & college station might > $2.00.

2. this is just ESPNs asking price. after some negotiating the price will be worked down. for example, the BTN requested $1.10 but ended up taking around $0.80

College station gets the Houston networks, odd that they would have that much higher rate for one of the larger TV markets in the SEC.

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
College station gets the Houston networks, odd that they would have that much higher rate for one of the larger TV markets in the SEC.

I used college station as an example. point is some area's of the SEC footprint have different levels of demand for the sec network.

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm poor...no way I could afford that high fallutin' foosball.

Thanks for the offer anyway. I'll just keep slumming it with FOX...I only have to buy one PPV per year, all the rest are televised.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thanks for the offer anyway. I'll just keep slumming it with FOX...I only have to buy one PPV per year, all the rest are televised.

If you only want the major SEC games, you will be fine anyways :suds:

Hook'Em0608

Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm all for the SEC network taking off. Better chance for DirecTV to pick up the LHN. Most likely will be thrown into the package inside Texas at least if and when ESPN gets them on board.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope Verizon carries the SEC Network. I'm looking forward to the Hee Haw re-runs!!:whistle:

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Once the Sooner Network is up and running, you no longer will have to worry about PPV games.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If only ESPN and SEC didn't want their cut too. This type of thinking is what made Clay Travis lose all credibility with his 40 million per team quotes. You can come up with some population numbers to make 600 million become reality like he thought. Difference is all that money isn't gonna go to the SEC schools pockets.

We are talking subscription revenue that does not include AD revenue so let's not pretend there aren't additional revenue streams to cover cost. As for the SEC the majority will go to the schools the conference expenses are in the black.