• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SEC Network

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
can't get at&T uverse here, so that sucks.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
geez, a joke is trolling, thin skin much?

Don't be offended when someone calls your troll post out. Doesn't mean you meant to kill his first born, but you know you were posting that to jab the SEC. It was kinda trollish, no harm no foul.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
msg is currently the sec affliate in new york and the games they pick up may be the 6th or better pick of the week but they arent the PPV fodder. Watched a few gator games there this past season. all this sec network is going to do is kill that affiliation and force higher prices for whatever tv service you use.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wow...okay...thanks.

99% of the stuff you read here will be off the cuff ribbing.

If you really were offended by him calling your post trollish, then he isn't the one with the thin skin.

TexasMan

mfw reading SportsHoopla
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm assuming the 3 SEC games every Saturday will be 11, 230, and 6/7? and also the crappiest match ups?

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am die hard SEC .. but AT&T is not in my list of priorities.. and I won't pick it up just for SEC channel. Directv is the only way I roll. I know people with AT&T and it sucks.

Big mistake imo.

Deep breath, everyone. That is just how they are starting. They have until Fall 2014 to get the other cable and sat operators lined up. There is no exclusivity there. It's the 5th largest, so you can be sure they will be getting with Comcast, Time Warner, etc. My guess is it is easier to get started with one, and then spread out. As you can imagine, ESPN has some experience in getting on all the cable companies.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm assuming the 3 SEC games every Saturday will be 11, 230, and 6/7? and also the crappiest match ups?

It will be like the BTN ... in September it will be the UGa v. Buffalo games. But, in weekends where there aren't the cupcake games, they will carry a fair number of teams that can't get on ESPN/2 or CBS. You won't see great games, but if you are a fan of some of the mid-level teams you'll get to see more. Again, no different from BTN on this.

The good games will always be on CBS or ESPN or ESPN2.

TonyTheGator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was listening to sportstalk radio today and they were talking about this. They were saying that the SEC network will be a #1 tier cable program in the southeast, much like ESPN, VH1, & MTV. Elsewhere, the goal is for it to be a tier 2 program, like ESPN 2. To do such, the quality of the games must be high, and that is just what the network plans. While CBS might get the best game on Saturday afternoon, the SEC network will get the next choice. They will be showing good SEC competition.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

well right now cbs has first rights until 2023. I imagine espn will keep some of their current lineup the same with the 12, 7, 745 slots they currently have on eson, espn2, and espnu, And thrusdays. what will change most likely is the syndicated 12:21 sec network game will find a home on the "ocho" along with the late fox sports network game. and the some of the regional ppv games will find a home their too.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good luck to the new SEC Network!

It will be interesting to see how things develop with this new enterprise.

Initially, I'm sure advertisers will be hesitant about spending some of their budget on the SEC Network when it's NOT football season. Also, the limited regionality of the typical SEC fan will be a concern to advertisers (SEC alums are just not scattered across the US as much as B1G alums.)

Keep in mind, the BTN is so successful partially because B1G alums are like locusts (MANY B1G grads can be found everywhere across the US, and the advertisers know it). No offense meant to you B1G folks by calling you locusts, but you have to admit, B1G grads are EVERYWHERE in large numbers...and once again, the advertisers are very aware of it.

It's going to be interesting to see the SRDS numbers (Standard Rate and Data Service...aka advertising rates) compared between the BTN and the SEC Network. The BTN will have a nine year head start by the time the SEC Network is up & running. Nine years of stability is a HUGE deal for advertisers. Advertisers are confident about utilizing their budgets on the BTN due to the successful and proven track record of the BTN. However, no such confidence will exist with the new SEC Network...thus, the SEC Network is going to need to entice nervous advertisers with VERY low ad rates (and VERY VERY low ad rates when it's not football season...keep in mind, the SEC does not offer varsity wrestling and hockey, as the B1G does).

Some of you fellow marketing people who might possibly have access to the SRDS will want to watch the ad rates closely & carefully.

It will also be interesting to see if the SEC Network follows suit with the BTN by NOT accepting alcohol ads.

Once again, it will be interesting to see how things develop.

Again, good luck to this new venture!

Peace.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The BTN will have a nine year head start by the time the SEC Network is up & running. Nine years of stability is a HUGE deal for advertisers. Advertisers are confident about utilizing their budgets on the BTN due to the successful and proven track record of the BTN. However, no such confidence will exist with the new SEC Network...thus, the SEC Network is going to need to entice nervous advertisers with VERY low ad
I wouldn't be so sure about that. First to market has its advantages, and there is no question that the BTN has a head start. But, and this is a big but, the SEC has had 9 years to watch the mistakes the BTN made and make sure they don't make the same mistakes. This is common sense, and it is one of the reasons the SEC stated they didn't do a network in 2008. They will be up and operational much faster as it's already been done.

I would also guess that the buying habits of us inbred southern hillbillies is well known to advertisers who have been selling to us for decades. With all the data, it isn't something that is hard to determine.

Certainly it will take time to get up to par with the BTN ... but don't bet against Slive on this.

I am mostly with you on the B1G alumni base. It is clearly larger simply because they have had larger universities for longer, and my guess would be they are near larger metro areas (especially with the addition of Rutgers and Maryland). I would also agree that they are better dispersed ... they are all moving to the south! But, I would argue that at least for football, the SEC passion is greater, and that SEC football, at least currently, would be more popular than B1G football in areas that are not covered by either. But all in all, until someone shows me evidence to the contrary, I'd think the B1G alumni footprint is bigger and more dispersed.

rates (and VERY VERY low ad rates when it's not football season...keep in mind, the SEC does not offer varsity wrestling and hockey, as the B1G does).
I kind of get your point, but it isn't like the SEC is all football. It is clear we are passionate about our football, but there are pockets of hoops love (Ky Blue), and many of us love our baseball, too. And, while we are down in hoops right now, the Kentucky fanbase alone is huge. I don't see any reason to conclude that B1G fans are somehow more passionate about wrestling and hockey than we are about secondary sports like gymnastics, swimming, tennis and golf, sports dominated by the SEC. Truthfully, though, beyond football, hoops, and maybe baseball, I can't imagine many of the secondary sports will deliver much in the way of revenue for either network.

TonyTheGator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bottom line is that you can take all that bullshit in your inner mind and throw it out of the window. The BTN is "big" in Big Ten territory, and the SEC Network will be big in the South. However, the SEC Network will have one big advantage over the BTN when it comes to national popularity. People like to watch good football, and they like to watch winners & CHAMPIONS. Last time I checked, the SEC has been home to the last 7 national champions, and has been recognized by the majority of media to be the premier athletic conference in the nation. I don't think they will have much of a problem "catching up" to the BTN.

:suds:

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bottom line is that you can take all that bullshit in your inner mind and throw it out of the window. The BTN is "big" in Big Ten territory, and the SEC Network will be big in the South. However, the SEC Network will have one big advantage over the BTN when it comes to national popularity. People like to watch good football, and they like to watch winners & CHAMPIONS. Last time I checked, the SEC has been home to the last 7 national champions, and has been recognized by the majority of media to be the premier athletic conference in the nation. I don't think they will have much of a problem "catching up" to the BTN.

:suds:
Doubt many in the north will want to watch Chattanooga Mocs @ Alabama. SEC plays 1/3 of their schedule vs podunk state. At least the BTN covers teams willing to play OOC games against other teams with a pulse. There won't be a single game on the SEC network that wasn't already a national game.

People like to watch good games and the best games in most conferences were already available nationally. What you get from the conference channels is more for the hard core local fans.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doubt many in the north will want to watch Chattanooga Mocs @ Alabama. SEC plays 1/3 of their schedule vs podunk state. At least the BTN covers teams willing to play OOC games against other teams with a pulse. There won't be a single game on the SEC network that wasn't already a national game.

While I agree with your general point, your OOC argument is fallacious. Go do your homework and compare the OOC of the B1G and SEC. You will find there isn't much difference, if any difference at all. The BTN games will be equally poor. It's too bad that a fan of Washington, one of the few teams that more often than not has a quality OOC schedule, falls into the SEC OOC myth (the myth being that the SEC is the only conference that plays cupcakes).

rolltide14_0

~V--I--P~
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,833.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

People like to watch good games and the best games in most conferences were already available nationally. What you get from the conference channels is more for the hard core local fans.

Alabama would blow out the Florida A&M rattlers and the Buffalo Bulls(teams on a b1g sched.) just the same as Georgia st. or Chattanooga. I don't see the damn difference, an easy win is an easy win.

But yeah, we're probably scared of being upset by San diego st.

smilesid

Hammerfan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I agree with your general point, your OOC argument is fallacious. Go do your homework and compare the OOC of the B1G and SEC. You will find there isn't much difference, if any difference at all. The BTN games will be equally poor. It's too bad that a fan of Washington, one of the few teams that more often than not has a quality OOC schedule, falls into the SEC OOC myth (the myth being that the SEC is the only conference that plays cupcakes).

I think that the truth is while all of the major conferences play a lot of creampuff games, the SEC has it down to a science. Most SEC teams play a similar schedule, one OOC game against a traditional rival or other decent team, and three against horrible squads, almost all of them at home. Last year pretty much everyone had an FCS school, and they sure take turns in bringing in all of the last place teams from the minor FBS conferences. While a few of the schools occasionally travel, it is the exception, not the rule. Out of 56 games, 3/4 of them were at home and 3/4 were against teams that were almost universally considered to be easy marks.

The truth is that while the SEC is pretty much acknowledged by all to be the best in college football, the way they schedule games leaves a lot to be desired. How anyone with a straight face can defend who Alabama, the finest of the best, is playing this year is beyond me. Come on, G. State, Chattanooga and CSU, all at home? Please.