• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seattle Mariners vs. Texas Rangers 8/16-8/18

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I think Wash does a better job at managing this team than he gets credit for. I'm sure that the front office and even him are aware that his methods are unconventional at times but his track record shows what he does works. Sometimes all a person needs is for someone to believe in them for them to jump to the next level or for them to get back on track. Thats what Wash does, he stands behind his players through thick and thin. I mean, aren't those the type of people you value in you own lives? Aren't those the people you push yourself for? There is a lot to be said about someone who will put his job and credibility on the line in order to support one or more of his players. It might not always work out but respect what he does, even if I don't always agree with it.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AGREED! And let's give Wash some credit on this! Last year, and years past, he wore out the core players. This season he's done a much better job of giving days off.

I looking forward to seeing how Gentry can do as the LO man too!
Credit Profar some also. He has made it possible for Wash to rest the infield at three positions.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People have been saying that all season.

True, but it benefits everyone if he does so why fight it... I think we all know Murph is better than he has played so far this season.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but it benefits everyone if he does so why fight it... I think we all know Murph is better than he has played so far this season.

Murph is exactly as good as he's played. I've never understood that statement.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I think Wash does a better job at managing this team than he gets credit for. I'm sure that the front office and even him are aware that his methods are unconventional at times but his track record shows what he does works. Sometimes all a person needs is for someone to believe in them for them to jump to the next level or for them to get back on track. Thats what Wash does, he stands behind his players through thick and thin. I mean, aren't those the type of people you value in you own lives? Aren't those the people you push yourself for? There is a lot to be said about someone who will put his job and credibility on the line in order to support one or more of his players. It might not always work out but respect what he does, even if I don't always agree with it.

Typical line of ambiguous defense.

Look I understand the importance of his clubhouse management. He's had some very bad stretches this year and some very good ones. I've felt he needed to go for a while, but I've also said this season (especially after losing nelly) will tell us just how good he is at getting the most out of his players. I'm willing to reserve judgement until the end of the year, but I tire of people endlessly ignoring or discounting the negative effects of his poor decision making. It makes a difference, and it costs games no matter how you slice it.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Murph is exactly as good as he's played. I've never understood that statement.

What I don't get is how many of you seem think you can measure a persons career based on one seasons stats. This is a career low season for Murph. Clearly he has played much better over the course of his career.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Credit Profar some also. He has made it possible for Wash to rest the infield at three positions.

Not really. Michael Young had the same "opportunity" last season and it wasn't given to him by Wash! Don't get me wrong, I'd rather see Profar (especially at SS) than Young, but JP is playing the same "position" as MY from last season.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I don't get is how many of you seem think you can measure a persons career based on one seasons stats. This is a career low season for Murph. Clearly he has played much better over the course of his career.

Thank you! Honestly, Murphy for the previous 4+ seasons has been around a .280 hitter, driven in 65+, great in the clubhouse and has improved his OF play, overall.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He's been a career platoon player who had a career year last year bolstered by some unsustainable peripherals. Has he been better than this in the past? Yes, but he's not this year and he has had plenty of opportunity to turn it around and hasn't. At some point you have to cut bait.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really. Michael Young had the same "opportunity" last season and it wasn't given to him by Wash! Don't get me wrong, I'd rather see Profar (especially at SS) than Young, but JP is playing the same "position" as MY from last season.

Except that the defense doesn't suffer with Profar on the field like it did with young.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank you! Honestly, Murphy for the previous 4+ seasons has been around a .280 hitter, driven in 65+, great in the clubhouse and has improved his OF play, overall.

Fine, but he's not doing it this year and we cannot afford to play people based in what they have done. We need our best players in the field, and this year Murphy isn't one of them. Not even close.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Typical line of ambiguous defense.

Look I understand the importance of his clubhouse management. He's had some very bad stretches this year and some very good ones. I've felt he needed to go for a while, but I've also said this season (especially after losing nelly) will tell us just how good he is at getting the most out of his players. I'm willing to reserve judgement until the end of the year, but I tire of people endlessly ignoring or discounting the negative effects of his poor decision making. It makes a difference, and it costs games no matter how you slice it.

What exactly is ambiguous or unclear about what I said?

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What exactly is ambiguous or unclear about what I said?

It's ambiguous because the argument is completely unquantifiable and asks the reader to simply trust that the argument which cannot be proven is in fact accurate.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You lost me. MY has nothing to do with my statement. Profar has given Wash the privledge of resting Beltre, Elvis and Kins which Wash has done and that's all I said period.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's been a career platoon player who had a career year last year bolstered by some unsustainable peripherals. Has he been better than this in the past? Yes, but he's not this year and he has had plenty of opportunity to turn it around and hasn't. At some point you have to cut bait.

So are saying you believe that the last 4+ seasons are the outlier and what we are seeing this season is who he really is. Come on man, you know Murph is better than he has shown this year. I admit he has been bad and has been given his share of chances but I also realize he is going to be given more because of what he has shown he was capable of in the past. Would I like to see Beltre get a shot, sure. Is that going to happen, no. Do I have control over it, no. So, I am going to go for the people they put out there, you know. I not going to put negative energy out there about my team.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So are saying you believe that the last 4+ seasons are the outlier and what we are seeing this season is who he really is. Come on man, you know Murph is better than he has shown this year. I admit he has been bad and has been given his share of chances but I also realize he is going to be given more because of what he has shown he was capable of in the past. Would I like to see Beltre get a shot, sure. Is that going to happen, no. Do I have control over it, no. So, I am going to go for the people they put out there, you know. I not going to put negative energy out there about my team.

No, I'm saying he is a career back up/4th outfielder and using arguments about what he's done in the past is pointless and irrelevant. What matters is how good he is this year, and this year he is really bad and has given us no indication he will turn it around.

Continuing to hurt the team by playing him because of what he has done in spite of what he is doing for the entire duration of the season is foolish.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's ambiguous because the argument is completely unquantifiable and asks the reader to simply trust that the argument which cannot be proven is in fact accurate.

Well, it is an opinion just like almost everything posted on here is. I have never seen anyone prove an opinion and I was under the impression that opinions were what this site was for. In fact most sports columns are mostly based around popular opinion but still opinion nonetheless. I can put things out there that support my opinion though:
1. Wash has the best record of any Ranger Manger in history.
2. The players publicly say they love him and love playing for him
3. The front office and the players thought enough of him to look past a drug violation

Those are a few things.

pegasusredleg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On a different subject a win today and we win the season series against the Mariners.

David Murphy seems to polarize the fan base. So much so perhaps a separate thread.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, it is an opinion just like almost everything posted on here is. I have never seen anyone prove an opinion and I was under the impression that opinions were what this site was for. In fact most sports columns are mostly based around popular opinion but still opinion nonetheless. I can put things out there that support my opinion though:
1. Wash has the best record of any Ranger Manger in history.
2. The players publicly say they love him and love playing for him
3. The front office and the players thought enough of him to look past a drug violation

Those are a few things.

I'll get to this later. My brain is going too many directions to form a well thought out response to this.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stay on the outer half against seager please.