• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seattle Mariners vs. Texas Rangers 8/16-8/18

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TEX knew Perez (LHP) was going to be in to pitch the bottom of the 8th so Wash should have installed Gentry in LF replacing Murphy. Ball that Murphy, Elvis and Beltre didn't get to could very well have been caught by Gentry. That would have gotten Cotts out of the inning before giving up the HR. Wash also should have PH Baker (or Soto) for AJ with the bases loaded in the bottom of the 8th. AJ was 1 for 6 against the pitcher ... and after leaving the bases loaded ... he is 1 for 7.

Cotts may have given up the runs ... but it was Wash attachments to Murphy and AJ that cost TEX the game.
Strange how people get a knot in their panty hose when you talk about Wash. They think it's a personal thing. You just pointed out what should of been done to win the ball game and most will agree from a manager's stand point. Having said that,some people will never understand why Wash needs to go. Very nice post.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Strange how people get a knot in their panty hose when you talk about Wash. They think it's a personal thing. You just pointed out what should of been done to win the ball game and most will agree from a manager's stand point. Having said that,some people will never understand why Wash needs to go. Very nice post.

I for one don't take it personal. He likely won't be going anytime soon because when you look at the bottom line he's winning and despite a not so good loss last night they're 70-52 and still first place in the division. It's all subjective and a difference of opinion. It's not really a matter of understanding or not.

pegasusredleg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's as simple as this:

1) David Murphy needs to be permanently glued to the bench. He offers nothing- no power, no speed, no great contact, mediocre fielding... he is an absolute black hole and automatic out.

2) Profar needs to be limited to spot starts in the infield or sent down. His bat is an absolute negative. He is just too young and overmatched in every at-bat. I was at the game tonight 5 rows behind Nolan and Profar was completely lost at the plate. I think he's gotten some poor calls go against him and it's rattled him and changed his confidence level. Having him as the DH is a laughable joke.

3) Geovany Soto needs to play more. Pierzynski's hitting is ok, but his defense is subpar (specifically his inability to block balls in the dirt). I read a stat recently that the Rangers have a better win % with Soto catching.

4) The Rangers only have 1 true power bat right now, so they're not going to run over teams with mashing. That leaves one true threat as an option for putting up runs- speed. But when Ron has 2 of the 4 fastest guys on the team parked on the bench, the result is a total lack of offense due to zero power/zero speed guys like Murphy playing.

Martin - CF
Andrus - SS
Kinsler - 2B
Beltre - 3B
Rios - RF
Pierzynski/Baker - DH
Moreland - 1B
Soto/Pierzynski - C
Gentry - LF

That should essentially be the lineup every single night regardless of opposing pitcher. Baker DH vs lefties, AJP vs righties. Profar serves as the super utility infielder, rotates between 3B, SS, and 2B, and contributes with his glove. Engel is the 4th OF and lends extra speed. Murphy never plays. Ever.

A couple of snags. If you play AJ and Soto in the same game and Soto is injured then you lose the DH spot. So you would have to send Profar or drop Rosales to call up Chirinos from AAA to offset the catcher DH problem or roll the dice. Second E. BELTRE we think was sent to RR when we picked up Rosales.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple of snags. If you play AJ and Soto in the same game and Soto is injured then you lose the DH spot. So you would have to send Profar or drop Rosales to call up Chirinos from AAA to offset the catcher DH problem or roll the dice. Second E. BELTRE we think was sent to RR when we picked up Rosales.

Yeah, those are snags, but I'd rather have Chirinos as a backup than Rosales. Plus when the rosters expand in September, they can carry 3 catchers.

jaar01

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bottom line: David Murphy has to be benched. He hurts the team on the field and in the lineup. Maybe he is a valuable voice in the clubhouse. But other than that his presence makes the Rangers a worse baseball team, not better. If Wash can't see that, then that is a direct reflection of his abilities as a manager. And if the manager won't do it, then someone has to tell the manager to do it.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:agree: It's called selective memory!

Don't get me wrong, Wash does some bizarre and questionable things. No doubt about it. However, every player on this team gives him an enormous amount of credit for always staying positive, never panics, and keeps the clubhouse loose, good times or bad! It's worth a lot.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Don't get me wrong, Wash does some bizarre and questionable things. No doubt about it. However, every player on this team gives him an enormous amount of credit for always staying positive, never panics, and keeps the clubhouse loose, good times or bad! It's worth a lot.[/QUOTE Decisions made on the field win or lose ball games. Players have to do their part but they need the best decisions from their manager to give them the best chance to win a game. i.e. last night Bad decisions probably cost the game.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm cautiously optimistic about today..... Historically, the Rangers have given Felix trouble. I think our hitters work the count efficiently, have good at bats, and score 3 runs over 7 innings.....

pegasusredleg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Murphy should be playing vs Felix tomorrow as he has faired well against him but watch him not be in the lineup the one time he should. Should DH Murphy and play gentry in the outfield

Can't link it but Murphy is in the lineup. AJ out with Soto catching. Profar DH.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lineup

Martin
Andrus
Kinsler
Beltre
Rios
Moreland
Soto
Profar
Murphy

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Angel Hernandez has never called a game Darvish was pitching ... so we'll see how that works out.

Yu Darvish Career Pitching Splits - Baseball-Reference.com

Darvish with AJ catching is 2.29 ... with Soto 2.74.

Yu Darvish Career Pitching Splits - Baseball-Reference.com

Darvish against SEA ... only Seager has had success

Yu Darvish vs. Batters - Baseball-Reference.com

That is very surprising to me - the split with Soto/AJ and catching Yu! I would have lost a beer bet on this one! Very good info!

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Don't get me wrong, Wash does some bizarre and questionable things. No doubt about it. However, every player on this team gives him an enormous amount of credit for always staying positive, never panics, and keeps the clubhouse loose, good times or bad! It's worth a lot.[/QUOTE Decisions made on the field win or lose ball games. Players have to do their part but they need the best decisions from their manager to give them the best chance to win a game. i.e. last night Bad decisions probably cost the game.

Nonsense! So, how the team communicates, enjoys, relaxes with themselves and management means nothing. Absurd. This team has been held together with bailing wire all season, and the "atmosphere" they play under has an effect. A very positive one. And decisions made on the field, are VERY often affected by the mental edge/attitude they go out there with in the first place!

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just arrived in Houston Texas and will be goin on my next flight soon. Hopefully Texas can pull out a W tonight !

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just arrived in Houston Texas and will be goin on my next flight soon. Hopefully Texas can pull out a W tonight !
Are you in dfw area and will you get in to see the game?

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bottom line: David Murphy has to be benched. He hurts the team on the field and in the lineup. Maybe he is a valuable voice in the clubhouse. But other than that his presence makes the Rangers a worse baseball team, not better. If Wash can't see that, then that is a direct reflection of his abilities as a manager. And if the manager won't do it, then someone has to tell the manager to do it.

and who is going to do that? NR and JD have stated they have complete faith in his decisions and once the Prez and GM of a team start getting involved in the day-to-day management of the team who needs a manager?

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and who is going to do that? NR and JD have stated they have complete faith in his decisions and once the Prez and GM of a team start getting involved in the day-to-day management of the team who needs a manager?
Texas needs a manager. Because they one they have won't use the brain God gave him.