• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seattle Mariners at Our Texas Rangers 4/14 - 4/17

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be the Washington guy here....least when he's ambushed for anything and everything that goes wrong. I can't defend any mangers moves 100%, and I can't get on board with blaming him for everything wrong with little to no credit when things go well. Over the top statements 13 games in always make me laugh. I think it only fair to acknowledge the good and believe it or not, I happen to think it's more than being a club house buddy to the players. I still find it amazing how little credit this guy gets with some posters here. It's as if Washington has controller in his hand with regards to execution. The players make plays or in the rangers case, not....either way, 13 games have been played without your catcher, 2nd baseman and your 3 and 4 starter. This could be 4-9 instead of 6-7. It's funny how the same people ready to panic were the same ones talking about getting outta April at 500.

I don't know what some here expected. The rangers lost their only defensive catcher and now playing guys that have no business catcher more than 50 games. This remains huge playing both the current catchers on the team. This team was all in on Martin, Moreland and Rios after adding Fielder and Choo. Thet expected solid years from all three. It was their decision going into this season. The general manger obviously had no real interest in Cruz or Morelos. This team was all in with Beltre playing 150 plus in spite of lingering leg issues the last couple of seasons, and fans of this team will have to ride this out. Nothing has changed other than 13 games have been played.

I don't think anyone here is blaming the mediocre start all on Wash (or at least I haven't seen any posts suggesting that). I think everyone here recognizes that Wash is certainly having to manage with the deck stacked against him. I don't envy him right now at all. He only has so many ML-quality players at his disposal. The rest of his options are minor leaguers or washed-up retreads. I fully expected the team to struggle to win a ton of games right out of the gate.

What I didn't expect is for the team to look so downright awful and comical at times while not winning. They're not just striking out and giving up runs, they're making silly and completely preventable physical and mental errors all over the place. Routine foul pops and weak grounders turn into blooper reels and guys are falling asleep on the base paths. A lot of that is on the players themselves, no doubt. But the simplicity of some of these tasks that the Rangers are botching reveals a team that is just not focused and ready to play. And that absolutely does fall at the feet of the manager.

Also, while Wash certainly can't be faulted for the situation being bad, he can absolutely be faulted for making it worse. How do you defend Michael Choice being buried on the bench for long stretches when the team is desperate for offense? He's one of the few so far who has showed signs of life with the bat. How do you defend awful Arencibia getting a lot more playing time than Chirinos, who has at least been semi-decent? How do you defend the 2B position being rotated on a nightly basis, giving neither guy any kind of consistent playing time? Plus there have been multiple situational calls made by Wash which have been head scratchers as well.

The Rangers' weak record so far can't be blamed on Wash. That's just not fair. But while he is in an almost un-winnable situation (and I do feel for him), his decisions certainly aren't helping matters any.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think anyone here is blaming the mediocre start all on Wash (or at least I haven't seen any posts suggesting that). I think everyone here recognizes that Wash is certainly having to manage with the deck stacked against him. I don't envy him right now at all. He only has so many ML-quality players at his disposal. The rest of his options are minor leaguers or washed-up retreads. I fully expected the team to struggle to win a ton of games right out of the gate.

What I didn't expect is for the team to look so downright awful and comical at times while not winning. They're not just striking out and giving up runs, they're making silly and completely preventable physical and mental errors all over the place. Routine foul pops and weak grounders turn into blooper reels and guys are falling asleep on the base paths. A lot of that is on the players themselves, no doubt. But the simplicity of some of these tasks that the Rangers are botching reveals a team that is just not focused and ready to play. And that absolutely does fall at the feet of the manager.

Also, while Wash certainly can't be faulted for the situation being bad, he can absolutely be faulted for making it worse. How do you defend Michael Choice being buried on the bench for long stretches when the team is desperate for offense? He's one of the few so far who has showed signs of life with the bat. How do you defend awful Arencibia getting a lot more playing time than Chirinos, who has at least been semi-decent? How do you defend the 2B position being rotated on a nightly basis, giving neither guy any kind of consistent playing time? Plus there have been multiple situational calls made by Wash which have been head scratchers as well.

The Rangers' weak record so far can't be blamed on Wash. That's just not fair. But while he is in an almost un-winnable situation (and I do feel for him), his decisions certainly aren't helping matters any.

:10::agree:

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well said young man, well said.

For me, last night had to just bottom us out. Hell, I felt like I was watching Doug Rader's Rangers back in the 80s. That was some lackadaisical, uninspired play on any and all fronts. I take that back, Colby did excellent for most of his outing, but we probably went with him too long all things considered.

But JPA has got to be sent out. I'm assuming he's got options. Bring in the guy we just resigned (don't remember his name, and honestly it wouldn't matter if I did) and hopefully JP will regroup elsewhere.

That's the first time in a long time I've been disgusted. Disappointed I handle; not disgusted.
Colby was the highlite if there was one. Very pleased with his outing. Down hill from there.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's during the exclusive negotiation period.

What exactly does that mean? Everything I have read seems to clearly state that decision has to be made at that point... haven't seen anything that says that they can go back and accept it later.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What exactly does that mean? Everything I have read seems to clearly state that decision has to be made at that point... haven't seen anything that says that they can go back and accept it later.

It means each team that the player belonged to has a window they can exclusively negotiate with the player during. The player must accept or deny the QO within the referenced time frame. After that they're a FA.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It means each team that the player belonged to has a window they can exclusively negotiate with the player during. The player must accept or deny the QO within the referenced time frame. After that they're a FA.

I see... but that offer no longer stands after it is rejected... correct? Bc, that is when draft pick compensation is allocated to the offering team

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see... but that offer no longer stands after it is rejected... correct? Bc, that is when draft pick compensation is allocated to the offering team

Wrong. The offer can still be accepted at any time. That time frame just allows the team to negotiate exclusively with the player and determine whether a team will get a compensation pick if the player signs with another team.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I believe that is correct. That is when negotiating begins with all teams which was implied when Romeo mentioned he is now a FA. He turned down his best offer. Stand corrected.

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on Rios. Get into a grove. Or not.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wrong. The offer can still be accepted at any time. That time frame just allows the team to negotiate exclusively with the player and determine whether a team will get a compensation pick if the player signs with another team.

That doesn't make sense to me... bc if they accept the offer later on they would be doing so as a FA in which case it would be more of a contract offer than a QO. Not saying you are wrong but do you have any sources on this?

BLeslie59Rangers

I hate the Angels...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, just give Seager first base and move on to the next guy...maybe we can double him off...

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Southwest plus? May not have that.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That doesn't make sense to me... bc if they accept the offer later on they would be doing so as a FA in which case it would be more of a contract offer than a QO. Not saying you are wrong but do you have any sources on this?

The QO time frame only has to do with determine whether the player comes attached with a draft pick. If a team does not extend a QO within the time frame then they get nothing if the player signs with another team. If the player does not accept the QO them it's as of he rejects it and a draft pick does become part of the equation. If he accepts the offer later then nothing changes because it's the same as if he accepted it in the first place.

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally!