• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seattle Mariners 2022-2023 Offseason Thread

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Sudden Sam is a full-time player. He had a nice of stretch games in the middle of the season, but only hit .172 over the team's last 46 games. And he did all his damage against left-handers. His OPS against right-handers was only .522.
This is what I was going to say. Sometimes a bench guy is just a bench guy and I think he and Moore have real value if you keep them in their limited roles. But I like the Nimmo part.

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what I was going to say. Sometimes a bench guy is just a bench guy and I think he and Moore have real value if you keep them in their limited roles. But I like the Nimmo part.
My thoughts as well

there is an old country saying ....

'you can put your boots in the oven, but it don't make'em biscuits'

I like Haggerty and he definitely has his role with the club, but everyday 2nd basemen ain't it. Nor is a full time outfield position. Can he develop and become one eventually... it's very possible.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Sudden Sam is a full-time player. He had a nice of stretch games in the middle of the season, but only hit .172 over the team's last 46 games. And he did all his damage against left-handers. His OPS against right-handers was only .522.
Don’t necessarily disagree, was just a question. I personally don’t mind giving him the opportunity to be the everyday 2B. Yeah his numbers against lefties was better but what exactly is a legit sample size against righties. At least in my eyes he proved to be good enough to have earned an Adam Fraizer chance. Unless they blow up the farm system I can’t see them filling the other OF spot plus a SS/2B.

But I do like your Bell argument but the Mariners have to unload Winker and Lewis first if they want any value out of them. If they can get a DH then great, ideally a Bell or an Abreu or any DH would be signings after they unload Winker, Lewis, Flexen and Marco just so the M’s have the ability to trade the 4 for maximum return.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My only argument back to that, would be the team is better if Moore or Sam are the one utility guy. IMO the team can’t be a WS contender if they have 3 utility guys which would be Moore, Haggerty and Toro. IMO super utility guys can be great if they are used as super utility guys, not rotational guys or situational starters.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a good first move, but we need to see what they do with middle infielder before I get too excited. I'm also not going to be happy until they have enough bats to not trot out a sub .200 at DH again.

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bold bet, Kelenic will have a higher BA than Hernandez.
Yea maybe ...

But comparing Tacoma AAA batting average to a big league average is not comparing apples to apples :heh:

All joking aside, I hope JK breaks camp with the Mariners and they tell him: 'this is your shot, you have earned a place on the big league club'
I think it is pretty much his last chance for gas ( in a Mariners uniform ) They will know before the ASB where they stand with him.

if he is not producing to minimum standards for a MLB corner outfielder ... cut him loose for whatever you can get for him and move on.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My only argument back to that, would be the team is better if Moore or Sam are the one utility guy. IMO the team can’t be a WS contender if they have 3 utility guys which would be Moore, Haggerty and Toro. IMO super utility guys can be great if they are used as super utility guys, not rotational guys or situational starters.
I agree and for me the answer is simple...bye bye Toro.

I actually hope they sign Drury. I think he has a good shot at being better than Toro and can play 2B/3B/Corner OF. I think that would be a huge upgrade and it wouldn't take a fortune.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could M's pull of another Winker/Suarez trade this offseason? If so, my guess would be with Brewers for Wong and Renfroe. Fills two needs and I am reading Brewers are looking to lower payroll.
And this today:

MLB.com's Jon Morosi reports that the Mariners have expressed trade interest in Kolten Wong.​

Milwaukee recently exercised a $10 million club option on Wong for the 2023 season and he is scheduled to reach free agency next winter. The rangy second baseman would be a nice left-handed addition to the lineup in Seattle, though it's hard to gauge what the asking price might be. Maybe the Brewers would want bullpen help? Or would take a chance on a Jesse Winker revival? Wong, 32, put up a respectable .770 OPS with 15 home runs and 17 stolen bases over 134 games played in 2022.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow did we get nothing for him. What a difference a couple years make.

Oh I forgot to add, he is a Portland guy. Just like last year. Dipoto adding NW guys with little talent...

Last edited:

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow did we get nothing for him. What a difference a couple years make.

Oh I forgot to add, he is a Portland guy. Just like last year. Dipoto adding NW guys with little talent...
Well I will go on record saying I was way off on some organization still thinking highly of him

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And this today:

MLB.com's Jon Morosi reports that the Mariners have expressed trade interest in Kolten Wong.​

Milwaukee recently exercised a $10 million club option on Wong for the 2023 season and he is scheduled to reach free agency next winter. The rangy second baseman would be a nice left-handed addition to the lineup in Seattle, though it's hard to gauge what the asking price might be. Maybe the Brewers would want bullpen help? Or would take a chance on a Jesse Winker revival? Wong, 32, put up a respectable .770 OPS with 15 home runs and 17 stolen bases over 134 games played in 2022.
Only negative thing I could say is that if the Mariners get Wong, they will be running out a pretty bad defense. I know they ran out Winker last year but everyone says Hernandez is just as bad and Wong if I read the reports right was the worst defensive 2B in baseball

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I will go on record saying I was way off on some organization still thinking highly of him
You and me both, but then again it made us cringe watching him try to run last season so...

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only negative thing I could say is that if the Mariners get Wong, they will be running out a pretty bad defense. I know they ran out Winker last year but everyone says Hernandez is just as bad and Wong if I read the reports right was the worst defensive 2B in baseball
Fangraphs has him ranked 39th with guys having at least 300 AB's. -6.0 compared to Frazier who had a 4.4 (13th) so you are right and this scares me more now. I thought he was decently reputation, but I guess not. Pass.

McNeil was a 4.6 (12th) would be my choice.

And for those who mocked some people fro wanting Story, Story had 16 HR's, 66 RBI's, and a defensive WAR of 6.9 (7th).

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fangraphs has him ranked 39th with guys having at least 300 AB's. -6.0 compared to Frazier who had a 4.4 (13th) so you are right and this scares me more now. I thought he was decently reputation, but I guess not. Pass.

McNeil was a 4.6 (12th) would be my choice.

And for those who mocked some people fro wanting Story, Story had 16 HR's, 66 RBI's, and a defensive WAR of 6.9 (7th).
And here is a mind blower: Per Fangraphs, Crawford is ranked 30th in defensive WAR at -1.5. And we won't move him?

Swanson is #1 with a 21.4. No. Brainer.