• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seattle kicker overrode Coach, swung game

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't see a thread on this but this explains why the kicker just sort of stood there before the play of the game in the NFCCG

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everyone in the NFL wants to be in the middle of big plays. But it takes a special kind of player to know when to back away.

That was the case for Seahawks kicker Steven Hauschka Sunday night.

As he trotted onto the field to attempt what would have been a 53-yard field-goal attempt early in the fourth quarter of the NFC Championship Game -- a kick that, if successful, would have cut the 49ers' lead to one -- he grabbed coach Pete Carroll and begged out of the kick.

"I didn't really want to kick it, to tell you the truth," Hauschka told Newsday after the game. "It was into the wind . . . I didn't think it was the right decision and I let coach Carroll know that."

Hauschka said he'd never before passed up an opportunity to attempt a field goal.

"You have to be honest with yourself," he said. "It was the wind at that moment. Sometimes you can make that, but I felt the wind at that moment was into the face enough to not want to try that kick. I grabbed him on the sideline as I ran out because I could see the flags [on top of the uprights] and I told him: 'We shouldn't kick this.'

But the Seahawks already had their field-goal personnel on the field, so Hauschka simply stood there, looking down at the spot where the ball would be placed were it to be snapped, and waited. He thought Seattle would take a delay-of-game penalty and punt. Instead, Carroll called timeout and sent the offense back onto the field.

And Russell Wilson threw a 35-yard touchdown pass to Jermaine Kearse on fourth-and-7 to give the Seahawks a three-point lead they wouldn't relinquish in their 23-17 victory.

"We had some options there," Carroll said. "We wanted to get points . . . We weren't going to punt."
Hauschka, who kicked a 47-yard field goal with 3:37 remaining to give the Seahawks a six-point lead, was glad he was vindicated by the touchdown, but said that even if the Seahawks had turned it over on downs, he would have stood by his decision.

"It was kind of a crazy sequence of events," he said.

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never played but I imagine that sometimes you just get a feel for the moment and, with kicking, confidence is everything. If you think you're going to miss - you will. Good call here.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never played but I imagine that sometimes you just get a feel for the moment and, with kicking, confidence is everything. If you think you're going to miss - you will. Good call here.
I remember thinking at the time 'they really should punt'

TheDman875

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember thinking at the time 'they really should punt'

I was thinking punt as well. Ryan is one of the best with knuckle ball like punts pinning teams inside the 10 in those situations.

Nice job by Wilson on the hard count though drawing the D offside that gave them a free shot downfield for the TD.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just another prime example "Captain Pete" has no control over his players, now his kicker is calling plays....

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just another prime example "Captain Pete" has no control over his players, now his kicker is calling plays....

Hard to argue with his methods right now.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was sitting about 50 feet from the 12th Man flag and at that time it was just about fully unfurled in the wind. Good decision and it turned out to be a great play.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the kicker won the game for them? Nice story

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Says a lot about Hauschka. Hope this story gets attention between now and the Super Bowl. People could swing this any way they wish. Personally though, Im impressed. Lot of respect for those who know their limitations and don't let pride get in the way. (Also explains the odd look on PC's face as the time TO was called. He seemed surprised/caught off gaurd, but calm. Not something you'd expect when te team was using its second TO.)

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a great story. I think it's good when coaches listen to their players (the experts at the position) and make a good call because of it.

When I heard Seattle was going for a field goal with a kicker who traditionally has not had a great record for booting 50+s (100% in 13, but like 40% in 12) I was nervous.

Funny that haters are coming out of the wood work on this post. When Manning made a call or an offensive/defensive player makes an audible, they are a genius. When special teams does it, Carroll clearly has no control over his team. You're a dork mcnabb.

Golden Spur

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great post, OP. I couldn't tell what the hell was going on with dude, at the time. He was standing over on the sideline looking baffled, and couldn't tell why he wasn't getting out there. He made a good call, to be sure.

Last edited by a moderator:

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cool story, overshadowed by a loud mouth that went all WWE.

I wouldn't be surprised if they release the kicker this off season but good call by him. :thumb:

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would they release Hauschka?

Scared to kick a field goal and telling the coach he made the wrong call.

Ego man, if Pete Carroll has one thing, its ego. Kickers are a dime a dozen.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scared to kick a field goal and telling the coach he made the wrong call.

Ego man, if Pete Carroll has one thing, its ego. Kickers are a dime a dozen.
:L Are you kidding me?

If ego is the one thing Carroll has, why did he fucking listen to Hauschka and go for it instead of chewing him out and sending him out there again?

Funny when people call a smart move "scared." He wasn't scared. He was smart and it payed off.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haus had a great season. I don't see the Seahawks letting him go anytime soon unless he makes crazy contract demands.

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He saved Seattle's entire season. SF would of been up 10(or was it 13?) to 3 with big momentum and great field position