• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seahawks lose Irvin

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seahawks pass rusher Bruce Irvin releases statement apologizing for 4 game suspension. Says he will not appeal

Yeah, of course not. There'd be time to hear the appeal and rule before any game. Had he been caught in the last week of preseason, you bet he'd appeal just so he could make that Week 2 matchup. He would then drop the appeal if missing weeks 3-6 would be better than weeks 5-8 or something. Last year, I think that the Seahawks either thought both would lose or only Sherman would get off. That's why they dropped one appeal so they wouldn't have both out on the same game if the NFL ruled on the same day.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many of their players are gonna get suspended? Man, Carroll just keeping up with tradition. Fight on!!!!

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yeah, of course not. There'd be time to hear the appeal and rule before any game. Had he been caught in the last week of preseason, you bet he'd appeal just so he could make that Week 2 matchup. He would then drop the appeal if missing weeks 3-6 would be better than weeks 5-8 or something. Last year, I think that the Seahawks either thought both would lose or only Sherman would get off. That's why they dropped one appeal so they wouldn't have both out on the same game if the NFL ruled on the same day.

Doesn't it make total sense to appeal? What's the downside? If he loses, he misses weeks 1-4. If he wins, his suspension is reduced.

If he doesn't appeal, he misses weeks 1-4.

So the worst-case scenario if he appeals is the exact same as not appealing at all.

There's really no point in not appealing.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't it make total sense to appeal? What's the downside? If he loses, he misses weeks 1-4. If he wins, his suspension is reduced.

If he doesn't appeal, he misses weeks 1-4.

So the worst-case scenario if he appeals is the exact same as not appealing at all.

There's really no point in not appealing.

If I were in his shoes, I would appeal for this very reason.

I was talking about if they thought it was an exercise in futility, that they were going to lose anyway, mid-season, while you can play during the pending appeal, appealing anyway has a strategic purpose.

Your situation is a "what the hell? Why not?" I agree with appealing, but you don't have the advantage if the case being pending. My guess is he thinks it's futile and there's no advantage of postponing it.

xJuicex

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2011_1_4-2011_1_4_18_35_32-gif-51202gif_zps8bd63f9b.jpg

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 506.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seahawk fan here taking my lumps.
Crimson, Bruce is a situational pass rusher. He is not used against run formations or in plays that dictate a run based upon down and distance.
Where his absense will hurt is in obvious pass plays.
As a Seahawk fan, I am a little perturbed in another suspension. It certainly provides our rivals with great commentary. I am glad the suspensions have been over adderall as opposed to steroids, but it is what it is.
I can only hope that Bennett and Avril can create pressure while Clem and Bruce are out. Additionally our 2 DT's taken in the draft may reduce some of the impact, but from a Seahawk fan's perspective, this absolutely sucks.
:gaah:

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Crimson, Bruce is a situational pass rusher. He is not used against run formations or in plays that dictate a run based upon down and distance.
As a Seahawk fan, I am a little perturbed in another suspension. It certainly provides our rivals with great commentary. I am glad the suspensions have been over adderall as opposed to steroids, but it is what it is.
I can only hope that Bennett and Avril can create pressure while Clem and Bruce are out. Additionally our 2 DT's taken in the draft may reduce some of the impact, but from a Seahawk fan's perspective, this absolutely sucks.

Bruce was a situational pass rusher last year. Presumably they will want him to transition into a more versatile player as he continues his career. With Clemons reasonably likely not to be ready for the start of the season, it's reasonable to presume they were hoping to get a bit more out of Irvin. If Clemons isn't back, the Hawks are in some trouble early in the season even with the additions of Bennett and Avril. Obviously their D is still very good, but any time you lose one impact pass rusher, much less two, it's a blow.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 506.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great point about Bruce playing more than just passing downs, but that is where we will feel his loss, especially if Clem is out.
We are pretty tough against the run with our only loss being Leroy Hill this offseason.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What was he caught using?

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Uhsplit, believe it or not, this is a non confrontational question, but don't you think the number of suspensions for the Seahawks has a little to do with Pete's loose coaching style? Even if they are all adderol, it's a little weird that so many. I know Pete has no problems cutting people loose who aren't performing, so I'm not saying that he's easy, but still, the widespread lack of knowledge of the rules must be a little perturbing.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Great point about Bruce playing more than just passing downs, but that is where we will feel his loss, especially if Clem is out.
We are pretty tough against the run with our only loss being Leroy Hill this offseason.

I agree that Irvin's loss will be felt more on passing downs, of course. But assuming Clemons is out to begin the year, the Hawks will face some tough questions about whether to load up to defend the run or go light to play pass.

As far as the part in bold, you have been the past few years, but you struggled against the run last year. 10th in yards, but 23rd in YPA. Red Bryant struggled last year, and the entire D struggled in close games toward the end of the year. 189 yards to Miami in a loss, 132 to Chicago in a an OT win, and 153 to the Rams in a game that was tied with two minutes remaining. Hell, in the playoffs Washington put up over 100 yards despite Griffin's injury and little to no creativity on offense as a result, and Atlanta racked up 167. Clemons is a pretty good run defender, certainly better than Avril. I think that's an area where there could be some cause for concern, though the DL additions should help somewhat.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Uhsplit, believe it or not, this is a non confrontational question, but don't you think the number of suspensions for the Seahawks has a little to do with Pete's loose coaching style? Even if they are all adderol, it's a little weird that so many. I know Pete has no problems cutting people loose who aren't performing, so I'm not saying that he's easy, but still, the widespread lack of knowledge of the rules must be a little perturbing.

I struggle to believe there is a general ignorance on the part of the coaching staff at this point. I don't see how this many guys would get involved in the same thing without someone inside the organization playing a part. Not saying this is coming all the way from the top, but at this point they've got to know something's going on.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I struggle to believe there is a general ignorance on the part of the coaching staff at this point. I don't see how this many guys would get involved in the same thing without someone inside the organization playing a part. Not saying this is coming all the way from the top, but at this point they've got to know something's going on.

You would think that after the first adderol suspension the coaching staff would have spoken to everyone about the issue. The fact that more people got suspended after either means the staff didn't forcefully communicate the rules to the team or they have some amazingly stupid and/or brazen players on the team.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 506.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

yossarian, no prob and I did not take your post as confrontational.
I don't think it is Pete. Yes, Pete is an easy going guy but the players are well briefed on what is acceptable and what is not.
Yes, it's wierd and I do not have any excuse for this failure. I consider it a shame that it keeps happening and I bet Pete is embarrassed and pissed about it.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
yossarian, no prob and I did not take your post as confrontational.
I don't think it is Pete. Yes, Pete is an easy going guy but the players are well briefed on what is acceptable and what is not.
Yes, it's wierd and I do not have any excuse for this failure. I consider it a shame that it keeps happening and I bet Pete is embarrassed and pissed about it.

My problem with Pete is he's never really gotten in front of it and addressed it. He's willing to talk about anything but when it comes to PED use he shrugs his shoulders when asked about it.

I don't blame Pete because these guys are adults and professionals but a lot of them are still 20 somethings and he could take a firm stand and send the message that the he and the Seahawks organization do not stand for PED use or cheating and he's going to make sure everyone is on the same page concerning it. Even if that's a blatant lie since most coaches mentality is "cheat but don't get caught" but you still need to act like a firm and under control leader.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My problem is that I read this morning that since 2011, SEA has had 7 players fail drug tests and 6 be suspended, with Sherman being the only fugitive. That is the second most PED tests for a team since 2011 in the NFL. You have one guy, maybe two get popped before a hard line must be drawn and guys get cut. Pete has allowed his "be competitive" schtick to extend past the football field and although we are talking about grown ass men, he is the leader so it falls on him as well. Especially if we are talking 7 players in two seasons.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My problem is that I read this morning that since 2011, SEA has had 7 players fail drug tests and 6 be suspended, with Sherman being the only fugitive. That is the second most PED tests for a team since 2011 in the NFL. You have one guy, maybe two get popped before a hard line must be drawn and guys get cut. Pete has allowed his "be competitive" schtick to extend past the football field and although we are talking about grown ass men, he is the leader so it falls on him as well. Especially if we are talking 7 players in two seasons.

I'm waiting for the post where some Seattle fan contends that all teams take PEDs the same amount and that the NFL is picking on them after the first was caught. I heard that when Shawne Merriman was caught and then another Charger, too. I have also heard that type of stuff outside of PEDs and about criminal stuff.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm waiting for the post where some Seattle fan contends that all teams take PEDs the same amount and that the NFL is picking on them after the first was caught. I heard that when Shawne Merriman was caught and then another Charger, too. I have also heard that type of stuff outside of PEDs and about criminal stuff.

Can't really blame the NFL for looking a little harder after the first one. Where there is smoke there is fire... and at this point they are probably trying to figure out who it is in Seattle that is dumping gasoline on the fire. So many positive tests for Adderall is a bit embarrassing, and letting Sherman off on a technicality obviously encouraged the team to just keep using.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a results business and these guys get paid according to how they perform. It doesn't really surprise me that these guys are getting popped. In fact, it kind of surprises me that MORE guys aren't doing it. 4 game suspension? That's only a quarter of the reg season. Baseball's first offense is almost a third of the season. I'm not sure basketball even has a drug policy (they do, I'm just being an asshole). If you get away with it, you could make millions based on performance.