• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Chiefs lose a LB

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NFL suspended Chiefs LB Willie Gay four games for violating the league's personal conduct policy.​

Gay was arrested in January for misdemeanor property damage and will now miss the Chiefs' next four games. The veteran linebacker will be eligible to return on October 23rd to face the 49ers. Through two games, Gay has totaled 16 tackles on 111 defensive snaps.

took a minute to suspend him lol

KMBC News reported Chiefs LB Willie Gay was arrested for misdemeanor property damage around 10:30 p.m. Wednesday night.​

The complaint lists this as a class B non-person misdemeanor, labeling it a domestic violence offense for criminal damage of less than $1,000. Gay is currently being held in the Johnson County Jail and is scheduled for arraignment at 2:30 p.m. Thursday. Kansas City's starting linebacker, it's unclear if this arrest will keep Gay sidelined for Sunday night's Divisional Round.
SOURCE: KMBC on Twitter
Jan 20, 2022, 11:44 AM ET

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NFL suspended Chiefs LB Willie Gay four games for violating the league's personal conduct policy.​

Gay was arrested in January for misdemeanor property damage and will now miss the Chiefs' next four games. The veteran linebacker will be eligible to return on October 23rd to face the 49ers. Through two games, Gay has totaled 16 tackles on 111 defensive snaps.

took a minute to suspend him lol

KMBC News reported Chiefs LB Willie Gay was arrested for misdemeanor property damage around 10:30 p.m. Wednesday night.​

The complaint lists this as a class B non-person misdemeanor, labeling it a domestic violence offense for criminal damage of less than $1,000. Gay is currently being held in the Johnson County Jail and is scheduled for arraignment at 2:30 p.m. Thursday. Kansas City's starting linebacker, it's unclear if this arrest will keep Gay sidelined for Sunday night's Divisional Round.
SOURCE: KMBC on Twitter
Jan 20, 2022, 11:44 AM ET
Considering players have done worse and gotten lesser suspensions it's kind of a BS move. But that's Goodell's NFL for ya...

The guy broke a vacuum cleaner for crying out loud...

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why wait until now to suspend him? Was there a court date they were waiting on?

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why wait until now to suspend him? Was there a court date they were waiting on?
Dunno. But this was probably always on the radar given the timing of the incident. This has been kind of lingering since the playoffs last year.

Basically there's a decent chance the Chiefs are replacing a 99th percentile athlete with... another 99th percentile athlete in Leo Chenal. It's a loss, but I really doubt the defense implodes either. Team is much, much better at LB than it has been in quite some time, imo.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dunno. But this was probably always on the radar given the timing of the incident. This has been kind of lingering since the playoffs last year.

Basically there's a decent chance the Chiefs are replacing a 99th percentile athlete with... another 99th percentile athlete in Leo Chenal. It's a loss, but I really doubt the defense implodes either. Team is much, much better at LB than it has been in quite some time, imo.
Chenal basically had no coverage skills coming out so I'm not sure it's a direct replacement. Still, Chiefs d can probably shift around

Suspensions like this one just make the Watson concession look even worse

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chenal basically had no coverage skills coming out so I'm not sure it's a direct replacement. Still, Chiefs d can probably shift around

No replacement for Gay's coverage ability. I think Chiefs will need to use Chenal's pass rushing skills and up their blitz percentage to try and cover that.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I am kinda skeptical the coverage ability is as bad as people say, I guess we'll see. It's the Colts this week so we'll see a good chunk of Chenal, imo.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am kinda skeptical the coverage ability is as bad as people say, I guess we'll see. It's the Colts this week so we'll see a good chunk of Chenal, imo.
Yeah, Chenal is likely to see play against Indy. It looks like Darius Harris is Gays replacement on the roster.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Less than $1,000 in property damage equates to a four game suspension?

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No replacement for Gay's coverage ability. I think Chiefs will need to use Chenal's pass rushing skills and up their blitz percentage to try and cover that.

I dont watch a lot of Chiefs game but the one thing that always stands out to me is how Gay is CONSTANTLY overruning plays and missing tackles. He must be damn good in the games I dont see for people to think that highly of him because the games I see, he kind of sucks. Just this week he missed 2 tackles in the flats in coverage....and not only did he miss it, but he missed it so poorly that he never really even slowed the runner down.

Edit: I said the one thing that stood out to me. But actually the thing that has stood out to me more than that is just how fricken good Chris Jones is. He is thought of as a top 3 interior player in the league by most...but he is still massively underrated.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont watch a lot of Chiefs game but the one thing that always stands out to me is how Gay is CONSTANTLY overruning plays and missing tackles. He must be damn good in the games I dont see for people to think that highly of him because the games I see, he kind of sucks. Just this week he missed 2 tackles in the flats in coverage....and not only did he miss it, but he missed it so poorly that he never really even slowed the runner down.

Edit: I said the one thing that stood out to me. But actually the thing that has stood out to me more than that is just how fricken good Chris Jones is. He is thought of as a top 3 interior player in the league by most...but he is still massively underrated.
He has tackle issues, but he is often is position to attempt the tackle, which is what will be missed. He prevents some passes from ever going out because he sticks to the guy. With Chenal he will tackle better, but a lot of cross routes that had been covered before will now be open.

Bolton is the clear star as he does it all. Chenal and Gay combined make an elite player, but on their own they hav eflaws that need to be accounted for.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yet Alvin Kamara still plays.

Fuck Goodell and his inconsistencies.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has tackle issues, but he is often is position to attempt the tackle, which is what will be missed. He prevents some passes from ever going out because he sticks to the guy. With Chenal he will tackle better, but a lot of cross routes that had been covered before will now be open.

Bolton is the clear star as he does it all. Chenal and Gay combined make an elite player, but on their own they hav eflaws that need to be accounted for.
Chenal in theory could evolve his game, too. Bolton came from a Mizzou D that was constantly outmatched and in college sometimes he would do what Gay does and overpursue. He'd also have tough tasks like covering guys like Waddle which isnt his game. Bolton is more consistently measured in the pros and better for it. Chenal for all I know could just end up being a pass rusher in a couple of years.

IIRC Chenal and Bolton came out of better LB classes so their talents dropped. Wouldnt be shocked if both were quite a bit better than Gay but Gay is so athletic that he'll be in the league for awhile. He had a really bad missed tackle against the Chargers that cost 15 yards or so and he dropped an INT that went right to him. Maybe Gay out of the lineup will be a bit of a wakeup call.

Chief Cola

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Less than $1,000 in property damage equates to a four game suspension?
Per the KC Star:
As it turns out, Gay’s ex-partner accused him of more than busting a vacuum cleaner. She alleged he pushed her onto a couch, where she said their 3-month old baby slept, an allegation that Gay’s attorney denied.

Read more at: https://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/sam-mcdowell/article266053871.html#storylink=cpy

The article also mentioned that getting the exact details of the criminal complaint was difficult. I believe that since ESPN, NFL.com, ProFootballTalk, CBS Sports and Yahoo!Sports articles about Willie Gay said nothing about this.

My guess is the severity of the NFL's punishment can be traced back to that player who got caught KO'ing his wife on camera a few years ago.