• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seahawks 2015 Salary Cap

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Projected 2015 NFL Salary Cap = 142 million
Seahawks 2014 Roll Over Cap = 4.8 mil

Total Adjusted Cap (W/ Roll Over) = 146.8 million

Seahawks Active Contracts: 116.9 million
Seahawks Dead Cap: 7.5 million (Damn you Percy)
Seahawks Draft Pool Cap: 4.4 million

Seahawks Adjusted Spendings = 128.8 Million

When taking into account all of the dead cap and the cap that is allotted for the draft, the Seahawks should have 18 million to spend to resign players and to sign free agents

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw projected at about 25 million, but every year every cap site has different numbers.

It will be tight but I expect Wagner and Wilson back. Everything else is gravy.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see them trading down in the first round into the 2nd or 3rd to stock pile draft picks and save on salary instead of paying 1st round salary and possible 2nd round...

BHF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,037.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see them trading down in the first round into the 2nd or 3rd to stock pile draft picks and save on salary instead of paying 1st round salary and possible 2nd round...

The difference in cap hit between 1.31 (our pick this year) and 2.13 (where we took Paul Richardson last year) is a little less than $400K. If we trade down, it wont be for cap savings.

And I'm not terribly sure we will be all that active in trading down. We are smack in the middle of our window, with the vast majority of our starters and key contributors under contract for next season. This might be a quality over quantity draft.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw projected at about 25 million, but every year every cap site has different numbers.

It will be tight but I expect Wagner and Wilson back. Everything else is gravy.

Sportrac has Seattle with a 23,330,922 cap space, but also 4,410,844 in rookie cap, which make free agent and re-signings space at just shy of $19 million.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The $19 million is only part of the story. After this season, there is a lot of money still out there. Seattle has over $50 million coming off the books next season, and so there is money to back load the contracts for Wagner and Wilson if needed.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The good news is that we have 46 players under contract already for next year and the vast majority of our key guys under contract for the next few.

It has been the assumption by most (myself included) that we extend Wagner and Wilson immediately but maybe we only extend one (Wilson?). This would allow us to address areas of weaknesses (like attempting to bring back Maxwell ?) We could still resign (Wagner) next off season to a bigger deal when we more cap room.

I am sure Schneider has a plan in place. We will just have to wait and see.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My remaining question would be are the current cap number projections such as the ones listed here based on the current salary cap or are they based on an estimate of the new cap number which includes the increase.

If they do not include the increase and we have an additional $10-12 million then we could be in better shape than we are assuming.

BHF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,037.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The good news is that we have 46 players under contract already for next year and the vast majority of our key guys under contract for the next few.

It has been the assumption by most (myself included) that we extend Wagner and Wilson immediately but maybe we only extend one (Wilson?). This would allow us to address areas of weaknesses (like attempting to bring back Maxwell ?) We could still resign (Wagner) next off season to a bigger deal when we more cap room.

Most likely both get big SBs, deals that guarantee next years salary, some injury guarantees, and sizeable raises in 2016.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This would be the absolute ideal situation

Wagner is someone we could always franchise too. The lb tag I believe is 12-13 mil. The highest paid lb is 10 mil. So in case we can't resign him long term we pay the extra 2 mil to secure him with the franchise tag

I think if we play it like that then we could afford to work in maxwell and extend Russell and eventually Wagner. Maybe also leave enough money to lure a former great vet seeking a ring willing to take a pay cut to play for a championship caliber team. I don't know maybe Larry Fitxerald? Brian Orakpo? One can dream.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The franchise tag could certainly come into play. I wouldn't want to piss off the player but it could certainly play to the teams benefit.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My remaining question would be are the current cap number projections such as the ones listed here based on the current salary cap or are they based on an estimate of the new cap number which includes the increase.

If they do not include the increase and we have an additional $10-12 million then we could be in better shape than we are assuming.

The projections I posted are based on the estimated new cap with the projected increase. There is a chance that the NFL cap will turn out to be higher than the projected 142 but if it is it shouldn't be by much. So give or take a couple or few million.

Hawks also don't have a lot of options either in terms of cutting players to shed cap space outside of Zach Miller and Marshawn Lynch. With Miller you don't really save enough to warrant a cut, unless his body is no longer able to compete in the NFL. Marshawn...cutting him would leave a gaping hole in probably the most important position on offense outside of QB. You have to keep him.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The projections I posted are based on the estimated new cap with the projected increase. There is a chance that the NFL cap will turn out to be higher than the projected 142 but if it is it shouldn't be by much. So give or take a couple or few million.

Hawks also don't have a lot of options either in terms of cutting players to shed cap space outside of Zach Miller and Marshawn Lynch. With Miller you don't really save enough to warrant a cut, unless his body is no longer able to compete in the NFL. Marshawn...cutting him would leave a gaping hole in probably the most important position on offense outside of QB. You have to keep him.

Actual they do have some. Cutting Mebane would save 5.5 million on the cap, that could possible happen. Also cutting Okung would save 5 million, I don't see that happening.