• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seager on defense

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Franklin will make the squad next year....errors or not. This team needs his bat more than his glove.

He's hitting below .250, and strikes out more than 25% of the time.

Sadly, you're 100% correct about them needing his bat, too. Says a lot.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Franklin will make the squad next year....errors or not. This team needs his bat more than his glove.

It may be true that the team needs his bat in the lineup, but I don't think he's got it in his head that he's a shoo-in for next year's team.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay I'll admit I'm old, in my day we just cared about Wins and loses for numbers, of course throw in HR's and RBI's but WTF is "WAR"?

Its the reason baseball is losing popularity.

hawkfan1073

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It may be true that the team needs his bat in the lineup, but I don't think he's got it in his head that he's a shoo-in for next year's team.
Look, what I meant when I said what I said about their defense is that I don't think there was a planned conspiracy to tank plays but I could reason that they could give a little more on defense for certain guys and Saunders probably isn't one of those guys.

Say what you will about Franklin but he is a shoe in for the team next year. He is one of the best rookies in the league. Plus the fans love him. The Mariners would be absolutely retarded to not make him the starting 2B from this point forward. Is he in a mini slump right now...yep. Will he work out of it...probably.
A scenario I could see is Miller getting traded at some point though once DJ Peterson makes it up as Seager will probably shift to 2B and Franklin moves over to short. Unless Peterson learns 1B and pushes Smoke to be traded.

Baseballnut77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look, what I meant when I said what I said about their defense is that I don't think there was a planned conspiracy to tank plays but I could reason that they could give a little more on defense for certain guys and Saunders probably isn't one of those guys.

Say what you will about Franklin but he is a shoe in for the team next year. He is one of the best rookies in the league. Plus the fans love him. The Mariners would be absolutely retarded to not make him the starting 2B from this point forward. Is he in a mini slump right now...yep. Will he work out of it...probably.
A scenario I could see is Miller getting traded at some point though once DJ Peterson makes it up as Seager will probably shift to 2B and Franklin moves over to short. Unless Peterson learns 1B and pushes Smoke to be traded.

i think peterson will eventually become the 1b and i dont believe it will take very long as i see them bringing him up by the end of next year barring a complete collapse in his climb. Miller may still be traded in this scenerio but it will only be if romero stays in the infield

hawkfan1073

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think peterson will eventually become the 1b and i dont believe it will take very long as i see them bringing him up by the end of next year barring a complete collapse in his climb. Miller may still be traded in this scenerio but it will only be if romero stays in the infield
The only intangible is Smoak. His resurgence is suprising and if he could put together a complete season like he has been hitting lately he might just shake things up.
BTW, these are good problems to have...lol

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only intangible is Smoak. His resurgence is suprising and if he could put together a complete season like he has been hitting lately he might just shake things up.
BTW, these are good problems to have...lol

Unfortunately, we have said this every year with Smoak. It is almost like he is an August hitter. Too many things have happened to him though to rule him a complete bust, which sucks because, like Guti, he has potential, but cannot stay on the field or perform consistently throughout the season. At some point you have to let them go and let other teams take the risk on them so you can use the roster spots for something productive.

btw, I like Smoak and want him to be a good power hitter for us, but not sure if he is worth the spot in a couple years if there is someone banging on the door.

hawkfan1073

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
btw, I like Smoak and want him to be a good power hitter for us, but not sure if he is worth the spot in a couple years if there is someone banging on the door.

I second this, and think the M's will give him at least till All-Star break next year to see if he can stay consistent. His OPS is on the rise and he already has 4 HR in August. Imagine if he could be consistent? We are talking about a 30+ HR guy that we might only have to be a little more patient with to get. Ackley seems to be finding his stroke too. Good to see him slapping doubles all over the place lately.
Romero might get to play LF when he gets the call.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am having a little trouble understanding people's issues with Smoak right now. I know he has struggled mightily in the past, but people are constantly acting as if he's been hitting for a couple of weeks and it'll hit the fan any moment. He started out slow, he was batting .188 in the first 20 games, but since then he's batting .294/.391/.521, that's second on the team (Morales .301), first in OBP, 2nd in slugging (Ibanez .528) and first in OPS over that time. In that time he's also shown 30/30 power. I know it hasn't been a "full season", but it's nearly 4 times longer than any other sustained hitting he has ever put together, and he is coming into the best two months (historically) of his career. People just still seem to act like his average is still at .217 instead of .270.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The struggle we have with Smoak is that he's had a month or two here and there where he has hit well, but the majority of the time, he's been pretty awful.

We all hope that what he's been doing lately is real, but it would take another month or two of consistent play to conclude that the Smoak of the past couple of months is more real than the Smoak of the past few years.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its the reason baseball is losing popularity.

I thought it was losing popularity cause young players are "tanking plays" cause a veteran pitcher did or did not call that young player out on a certain play...

WTF Wazzy you remember the good ole days when guys use to go out and play the game and there wasn't this reality BS talked about in the media and the fans. You got a beef, settle it in the the locker room case closed...

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smoak is my second favorite player on the team next to Felix...

I just feel like he always has the best at bats out of any of the guys on the team. I understand a lot of people are cautiously optimistic about him...but I'm really sold on the guy. The patience and good at bats have always been there...now he's finally putting it together with some power and a solid avg

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If baseball is losing any popularity, it's because games take way too long and the younger generation doesn't have the attention span for it. Why do you think so many modern ballparks are packed with so many other things to do and there is always something on the scoreboards to keep people entertained between innings? The diehards might be there to watch baseball and are perfectly capable of sitting through an entire game, with all its stops and starts, without getting bored, but the casual fan and the younger generation apparently need more than that.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If baseball is losing any popularity, it's because games take way too long and the younger generation doesn't have the attention span for it. Why do you think so many modern ballparks are packed with so many other things to do and there is always something on the scoreboards to keep people entertained between innings? The diehards might be there to watch baseball and are perfectly capable of sitting through an entire game, with all its stops and starts, without getting bored, but the casual fan and the younger generation apparently need more than that.

You're spot on with this one man...

I was at the game on Sat and a large group in front of me was literally on their phone, checking fb updates, chit chatting with each other the entire time.

And the only times they were engaged in the game was when they had the hydro race or that which hat is the ball under thing.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're spot on with this one man...

I was at the game on Sat and a large group in front of me was literally on their phone, checking fb updates, chit chatting with each other the entire time.

And the only times they were engaged in the game was when they had the hydro race or that which hat is the ball under thing.

Ballparks around the country are becoming big, expensive sports bars/amusement parks/child care centers/social media hubs. It makes no sense to me, because there are far less expensive places to do all this stuff, but that's just how it's going these days.