• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Scout's Take - Giants vs. 49ers, Manning vs. Smith

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt Williamson: Eli is a much better player, the foundation of that offense. Alex Smith is just a piece. Eli is making a bad offensive line serviceable. They had no Nicks, no Bradshaw last week and he is moving the team with Victor Cruz and Jake Ballard. If Manning and Smith switched teams, the Niners might be the best team in the league with Manning, including better than Green Bay, and the Giants might win two games. Going to New England without Bradshaw and Nix, the Giants would have lost 30-7 if Smith were their quarterback. What those quarterbacks are capable of isn't even close. Smith was not the usual No. 1 overall quarterback in terms of gifts.

Scout's take: 49ers, Giants and the QBs - NFC West Blog - ESPN

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Manning is 6-2 with the Gmen but Alex is 7-1 right now.... one gm better?

(not pushing for an Alex Smith thread debate)

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Eli seems to be much more efficient this year......his 25 INTs last year was unacceptable under any circumstances.

In fact, that's pretty crazy.....last year he was 31/25 td-int ratio, this year its 15/6 - while his completion % is exactly the same at 62.9. Looking at his career stats, his actual level seems to be somewhere in between these two poles.

Or maybe he has taken the step up from average to good QB this year. He seems to have been the recipient of some miraculous plays by Cruz, but has looked pretty damn good and commanding in the few moments I've watched.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with what was said about the two. But Manning seems to throw picks at the worst possible times. I hope he does this sunday as well.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I smell a Smith thread.....

Here's my opinion: We're coming into an age that we'll come to know as the Harbaugh Era. He has founded an offense that's unpredictable, safe, and efficient. The traits of the offense that he's taken from USD Stan., now to the 49ers are exotic formations, pre-snap adjustments, a mobile QB behind center, receiving TEs, and a strong run game. The QBs he has coached all carry outstanding TD to INT ratios. I think this is more game plan than coaching or chance.

Alex Smith (IMO) has only improved in one aspect of his game which is his pocket awareness. Over the passed two weeks Smith has been hanging in the pocket longer. (Coincidentally?)In turn Anthony Davis has been playing at a much higher level. Taking a look at Smith from an accuracy standpoint, he still has ways to go.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This is interesting. While I have seen very little of Eli this season, I tend to agree with Williamson. That said, I think Manning is an interesting comparison point for Smith. He also struggled mightily for several years before finally catching on. And even after the Super Bowl run (and in that season itself, outside the playoffs), he has struggled. Early in his career, there was no doubt but that the OL and running game made Eli look better. It's interesting that that phenomenon has reversed this season. But this is really the first season when he's truly carried the offense on his own.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I smell a Smith thread.....

Here's my opinion: We're coming into an age that we'll come to know as the Harbaugh Era. He has founded an offense that's unpredictable, safe, and efficient. The traits of the offense that he's taken from USD Stan., now to the 49ers are exotic formations, pre-snap adjustments, a mobile QB behind center, receiving TEs, and a strong run game. The QBs he has coached all carry outstanding TD to INT ratios. I think this is more game plan than coaching or chance.

Alex Smith (IMO) has only improved in one aspect of his game which is his pocket awareness. Over the passed two weeks Smith has been hanging in the pocket longer. (Coincidentally?)In turn Anthony Davis has been playing at a much higher level. Taking a look at Smith from an accuracy standpoint, he still has ways to go.

I had no problem with Smith's accuracy this last week. He was quite on. The problem is, when he's off, he can be way off and it's rarely just for one or two throws. I'll be interested to see what happens in this area as the season progresses. If Smith can throw the way he did last week, I think the offense will improve. Of course, we can't have some of the drops that we have been having, especially on the deeper balls.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
If Alex plays better than Manning on Sunday does he deserve to be in the probowl OVER Manning?

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Alex plays better than Manning on Sunday does he deserve to be in the probowl OVER Manning?

As of now the race for the third spot is Eli vs Stafford. By the end of the regular season who knows. Who knows what popularity will do for Vick and Newton as well.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
You have to give Alex credit as well... he's been doing it without the greatest receivers as well, Morgan and Crabtree and Ginn. Although Alex does look alot to 2 very good TEs, and Eli does throw it more often to the WRs.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
As of now the race for the third spot is Eli vs Stafford. By the end of the regular season who knows. Who knows what popularity will do for Vick and Newton as well.

I forgot about Stafford... but if Smith out-plays Manning head to head I don't see any reason he shouldn't at least get as much credit as Manning for the season if not a little more.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Too bad they name the pro bowl rosters by what, week 14?

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't realize it was that early. Need a sprint to the finish then.

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Eli seems to be much more efficient this year......his 25 INTs last year was unacceptable under any circumstances.

In fact, that's pretty crazy.....last year he was 31/25 td-int ratio, this year its 15/6 - while his completion % is exactly the same at 62.9. Looking at his career stats, his actual level seems to be somewhere in between these two poles.

Or maybe he has taken the step up from average to good QB this year. He seems to have been the recipient of some miraculous plays by Cruz, but has looked pretty damn good and commanding in the few moments I've watched.

So does Alex. Besides, he may be a scrub, but he's our scrub and I'm backing him and pulling for him.

ViperVisor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Quarterback Alex Smith has been much more accurate this year, going from an Accuracy Percentage of 71.1% to 75.0%; just behind Rodgers and Brees.

:boink:

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex won't be able to participate in the pro bowl... he'd be too busy to lead our Niners to the Super Bowl!