• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Scott Servias is the new manager

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thoughts?

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another former catcher who is now becoming a manager. This happens so often that I wonder if there's nothing more than superstition that catchers make better managers.

As for the individual, we'll see. He has no managerial experience at any level. He's always been a front office guy. His position in the front office has always been player development, so he should be able to recognize how to start getting our players to progress - but whether he'll be good at it as a manager or coach is anyone's guess.

He may be exactly what the Mariners need, but there are just too many unknowns about his coaching/managing skills that it's hard to tell.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Mariners have to rebuild again.

They won't contend any time soon, so I'm more interested in how the new scouting hires at all levels pay off over the next couple of years.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They also hired Tim Bogar as the bench coach. Bogar was supposedly rumored to be the front-runner or finalist for the managerial job.... Both Servais and Bogar was part of the Anaheim front office when Dipoto was there, so he's really bringing in his own guys.

I agree that we will see, the trend of hiring new guys with no managerial experience continues. I'm okay with this move, it may be what the M's need.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thoughts?
Well, if DiPoto likes him then I like him. I'm willing to give DiPoto unconditional trust - at least for a couple seasons anyway.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have a problem with the hire. I think having Bogar in the mix is great. It feels like a team effort of coaches.

I am kinda with polar I'm putting a lot of trust into DiPoto until he proves otherwise.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am just happy Dipoto hired a guy he wanted. No excuses now. But I agree the person in charge of developing is the more important hire. Time to build.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tough to be too excited... Sounds like a puppet that will do whatever Dipoto wants him too... I don't like the fact that he has zero managerial experience in MLB either...

kcden

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,680.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, if DiPoto likes him then I like him. I'm willing to give DiPoto unconditional trust - at least for a couple seasons anyway.

We owe him at least seven years, right?

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tough to be too excited... Sounds like a puppet that will do whatever Dipoto wants him too... I don't like the fact that he has zero managerial experience in MLB either...

That's my only fear with the hire. Bringing "your guys" is different than your perceived buddies. Hopefully it works out just odd a developmental guy is hired for a team who's highest paid players are on the downside of their careers.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea I have no idea if this will work or not. We have no idea about his ability to manage a baseball team. The positive I take is that there at least seems to be a plan in place where as there wasnt before. Dipoto brings in two guys that he knows well and should be on the same page with. It's a formula that could pay off years down the road. If it doesnt, oh well it cant get worse.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea I have no idea if this will work or not. We have no idea about his ability to manage a baseball team. The positive I take is that there at least seems to be a plan in place where as there wasnt before. Dipoto brings in two guys that he knows well and should be on the same page with. It's a formula that could pay off years down the road. If it doesnt, oh well it cant get worse.

Like a lot on here, I really think managing in baseball is overrated. Lloyd didn't seem to manage anything but the daily lineup...which is ucked up most of the time. So with that said, I like the fact he hired a couple guys that he works well with otherwise it doesn't make sense. All have to be on the same page or you continue to give managers square players to fit in their round lineups.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why this guy now? You already had McClendon, who I think is a fine manager. It's not his fault nearly every player who comes here as a free agent takes a dip in hitting production, and it's certainly not Lloyd's fault that Jack Z's regime gave him pretty much nothing from the draft or player development except Kyle S. If DiPoto likes this Servais guy so much -- who has no experience -- why not just hire him in a front office capacity and see what happens with a 3rd year under McClendon? That way you get a little continuity and 'your' guy waiting in the wings and already under hire. This constant do-loop of hiring and firing leaders every couple years is counter-productive.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why this guy now? You already had McClendon, who I think is a fine manager. It's not his fault nearly every player who comes here as a free agent takes a dip in hitting production, and it's certainly not Lloyd's fault that Jack Z's regime gave him pretty much nothing from the draft or player development except Kyle S. If DiPoto likes this Servais guy so much -- who has no experience -- why not just hire him in a front office capacity and see what happens with a 3rd year under McClendon? That way you get a little continuity and 'your' guy waiting in the wings and already under hire. This constant do-loop of hiring and firing leaders every couple years is counter-productive.

McClendon and Dipoto wold not have been a good mix. McClendon also was not a great manager. We went through more lineup changes than any other team in baseball (my opinion) and his in-game management skills were limited. I agree Jack didn't help him out much, but he was not the future for this team and I am happy to see a change take place. This team needs energy and I hope the new regime gives us that because the old one did not.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another un-proven manager... How many is that now ? Why don't they go out and get a proven veteran manager like they did when they hired Lou ...

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McClendon and Dipoto wold not have been a good mix.

Well, if you say so. We'll never know for sure. DiPoto probably agrees with you though, so there's that.

McClendon also was not a great manager. We went through more lineup changes than any other team in baseball (my opinion) and his in-game management skills were limited. I agree Jack didn't help him out much, but he was not the future for this team and I am happy to see a change take place. This team needs energy and I hope the new regime gives us that because the old one did not.
I put this in the same category as criticizing playcalling in football. We only grouse about the ones that don't work and make the assumption that we had a better option. Lloyd had this team 1 game from the playoffs last year, and I have a tough time believing he was the reason pretty much everyone but Cruz started off slowly this season. I think DiPoto would have been wise to exercise a little tactical patience, but if he's 100% certain that McClendon wasn't the guy and Servais is then I'll give him full credit if it works out.... and I'll be awfully unimpressed if we're at the foot of another 7 year plan.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that a constant hiring and firing of managers is counter productive. I had similar views of keeping LMC when DiPoto was first hired as just an ease of transition sort of thing. But after learning more and more about DiPoto I realized it was not smart to keep LMC around any longer. They have very different views about how to operate a baseball team IMO. Also I think DiPoto views Servais as a long term option (which is sorta sketchy considering he has no managerial experience). This should be the start to continuity at the manager spot, hopefully. I think for DiPoto it came down to picking a guy that would implement his system the best and McClendon was not that guy. No reason for DiPoto to keep LMC around for another year if he didn't see him being the manager the following seasons.
LMC had numerous head scratching moments during this last season. Many of which put the Mariners in spots where they were more likely to lose than win. I absolutely think McClendon cost the M's some W's during the season but so did the talent level and so did the roster construction by Jack Z. We obviously don't know what to expect from Servais but we will find out.