• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Scott Fujita releases strong statement on revised suspension

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you see the Brees quotes this morning? He is being a huge baby about this.

"We've acknowledged for the most part that this whole bounty thing is just a big sham,"

"for the most part" - weasel words, basically admitting there *was* something, but trying to downplay it. He's not saying there was no bounty, but its a "sham". I think he has a future as a criminal defense attorney.

Drew Brees, New Orleans Saints QB, says bounty penalties based on 'rhetoric' - ESPN

I did watch/hear Brees' comments this morning and must admit I've lost a ton of respect for him.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the other hand:

Its ludicrous that he does both the punishment and appeals, the whole point of an appeal is getting a different perspective. Again, more about the "appearance" of due process rather than actual justice - "hey, they got their appeal!". Judge, jury, appellate judge, and executioner.

Eh, they signed the CBA which said that so they shouldn't be crying for it now. The NFL had the leverage and they gave the commisioner this. It couldn't have been unforeseeable that there would be a time where this seemed unfair. I think the appeals process in court is for a new perspective, but in the NFL is to give more time for the accused to show evidence or challenge evidence. True, the commissioner isn't likely to overturn himself, so I do think it's for the appearance of justice, but I don't think their purpose was the same exactly as the US Court system. They had lawyers on both sides, don't you think they asked, "who hears the appeal?" They signed off to it.

There's enough there that I don't believe them. Doesn't mean I would handle it the same as the NFL did, doesn't even mean I'd still suspend them - I'd feel no matter what I thought, I'd need to prove it (which is difficult) - but as someone with no say over it, I'm not giving them the benefit of the doubt because they say they are innocent. But I expect the accused to cry foul and use strong words like 'sham', 'everyone does it', etc. I've actually heard people cite Vilma saying he was innocent as evidence of his innocence, acting like he's above defending himself for things some people might think is borderline and others feel is against the rules.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh, they signed the CBA which said that so they shouldn't be crying for it now. The NFL had the leverage and they gave the commisioner this. It couldn't have been unforeseeable that there would be a time where this seemed unfair. I think the appeals process in court is for a new perspective, but in the NFL is to give more time for the accused to show evidence or challenge evidence. True, the commissioner isn't likely to overturn himself, so I do think it's for the appearance of justice, but I don't think their purpose was the same exactly as the US Court system. They had lawyers on both sides, don't you think they asked, "who hears the appeal?" They signed off to it.

There's enough there that I don't believe them. Doesn't mean I would handle it the same as the NFL did, doesn't even mean I'd still suspend them - I'd feel no matter what I thought, I'd need to prove it (which is difficult) - but as someone with no say over it, I'm not giving them the benefit of the doubt because they say they are innocent. But I expect the accused to cry foul and use strong words like 'sham', 'everyone does it', etc. I've actually heard people cite Vilma saying he was innocent as evidence of his innocence, acting like he's above defending himself for things some people might think is borderline and others feel is against the rules.

Yeah some people act like the NFL is a a court room, but it's not. The NFL is a business and Goodell is basically the boss/CEO. When you get fired or suspended do you grab a lawyer and try to sue the boss? Probably not.

I get that Vilma thinks this is a wrongful suspension and he did nothing wrong, but I don't see how he hopes to win this fight.