• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Schwartz vs. Mayhew feud rumor

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stafford IS a quality QB, but a 20/17 TD/INT ratio won't cut it this season. I'll concede that some of the INTs were done trying to make plays in the many games in which the team was trailing. But a drop to 20/17 from 41/16 the previous season is very steep.

How many passes did Stafford throw last year where the receiver was tackled inside the 5? How many more TDs did the RBs have last year over the year before?

The TD dropoff from Stafford and CJ is overplayed around the NFL, both of them were hurt (stats wise) by the fact that the Lions had a RB that could punch the ball in.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are the first person I have read in any forum or from any pundit that says Reiff is a damn good option. I hope you are right though, I still see him as a damn good option at RG.
Really? He was drafted in the 1st round to be our future LT. He was a college TE before converting to o-line. He's strong and athletic. However, Lions fans public opinion of him plummeted when it was suggested that he'd be moved to RG if we drafted one of the top tackles in the draft. We didn't, so Reiff stays put, no worse for the wear than he was last year.

Hilliard is a career backup if he beats out Fox we are in real trouble. Fox on the other hand has all the makings of an average NFL LT. His measurables do not stack up even close to those of a decent prospect. Again we can only hope that he turns out to be an overachiever.
If Fox has the makings of an average NFL LT, then he should really shine at RT. I don't know where you're getting your info on his "measurables" but coming out a few years ago they stacked very well against other decent prospects. His measurables weren't the issue, an injury was, which is why we got him in the 4th.

Hiliard has been a career back-up so far, but the thing with young back-ups is that they often develop into starters. He's been playing behind a 1st round pick RT his whole career with us, so the opportunity to start hasn't exactly been there yet.

I have a hard time following the mentality that young guys can't develop into better players. If someone wants to say that they think said player(s) won't develop, well that's a whole 'nother point, but this thought process that players are what they are as soon as they're drafted is nuts. It's a very good thing that we had the depth at tackle the let Cherilus walk, not a bad thing at all...

Well, I will question that...99% of armchair QBs hated Peterman from day 1. He had an above average 2011 season and was at the top of all NFL G's with respect to screen blocking and he had that good year while playing injured. He was unquestionably awful in 2012. I think he gave up, we will see how he performs as a Jet. Now as for Warford, I love how you have handed him the starting RG job. I will believe it when I see it. Harris and Scott both should be able to beat out Warford. You obviously are among those fans who believe all draft picks should walk in to starting jobs. Warford himself said the #1 priority for him was to transform his body into an NFL ready body. If he did that during OTAs I would be amazed.
You're one of the few I've came across that doesn't think Warford will be the starter. I keep seeing you talk up Harris, but I'll be shocked if he makes the roster with all of the young bodies we have at guard. I'd give Scott that last o-line roster spot because of his ability to play guard and tackle.

I think our 4 guards heading into the season are Sims, Warford, Scott and Rodney Austin. If Warford doesn't start the season as the starting right guard he'll claim it by the time the year is out.

I'll even agree with you that Peterman was perfectly serviceable up till last year, but that's a moot point. He's gone and Warford should be immediately better than Peterman in 2012.

I believe some of the first words I ever spoke were complaints about the Lions OL and I was born in 1957. However, I too have been calling for an overhaul of the OL and followed that up with, "No matter who we bring in they cannot be worse than our current OL." Unfortunately, they also may not be any better though. One of my worse nightmares is that our 2013 OL resembles the Bears OLs the past few years.
:burt:

In your defense you're far from the only lifetime Lions fan with the old "glass half empty" disease. It's not your fault based on what the Lions have given you over the years, but that stuff doesn't have any impact on the 2013 Lions team...

Well you are trying to be a dick, but you know that. Broyles would not be the 1st guy to have a career shortened due to multiple injuries...Charles Rogers...off the top of my head and he was the 2nd overall pick.
Not trying to be a dick at all, just calling out blatant trash-talk.

To say Chuck Roger's career was cut short by injuries is just silly. He was just a thug who couldn't separate from his former life. The collarbone injuries certainly didn't help, but they weren't career threatening.

In today's NFL torn MCLs/ACLs are becoming a pretty routine surgery and re-hab. They're not the career-enders they used to be. Off the top of my head I can't think of a recent player who had to retire before the age of 30 do to knee issues.

So you can say I'm being a dick, but you throwing out baseless nonsense like this kind of points that particular arrow in another direction.

Really...Edwards had a great 2012 OTAs and camps...however if he is "all that" and I hope he is, why wasn't he picked up off of our practice squad last year? I am sure some team could have easily eaten a spot on their 53-man roster for such a prize as Edwards.
I'm thinking he wasn't picked up off our practice squad because he spent the bulk of the season on IR. Can't scoop another team's player off injured reserve.He looked like he was going to make the team last year till he injured his quad in the preseason, which led to his IR designation. Sounds like he's picked up right were he left off last year.

Thomas was not wanted by the worse teams when he became available. He had to fall 12 spots on waivers to get to us. Now if he cannot make it on the worse 12 teams how does he make it now if we cut him loose?
Really? Cool story bro, but entirely made up by you.

Thomas wasn't cut and never passed through waivers.

Durham was working at Jiffy Lube prior to signing with the Lions.
That or he was a 4th round pick the year before? I'm not sure which. Maybe somebody should look it up...

Scheffler is not worth $3M in cap space...
That's you're opinion. But a fair argument as well.

I archieve everything that I think is garbage...I will take your bet on that
Don't know what you mean by archiving stuff, but sure I'm willing to take that bet because we did pretty damn awful in that department last year. With upgraded DEs our sack totals should go nowhere but up.

Tulloch is a very poor MLB. He lacks the ability to read the play. He is successful only when he guesses right.
You've got some interesting opinions, that's for sure. Not exactly sure what you're basing them on, but they're interesting to say the least.

OK I will give you the one about Hanson, I was wrong there. He is the 3rd best Lion over the past 20 years. That still blows goats.
I don't mind having one of the best kickers to ever play the game. Try to make it a negative if that's your thing, but he would have been one of the best players on any team he was ever on, because he's one of the best to ever play the game. How is that a bad thing? Would I rather have an all-time great QB over an all-time great kicker? Of course, but that still doesn't diminish Hanson's epic career...

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets just hope it all works out, otherwise it just adds to the timeline of how long it will take to get back on track. My guess would be an extra year. We are 1-2 years from being a contender. It could be 2-3 if it gets ugly this year. Tough to wait after having such a good year 2 years ago.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, but missing your #2,3,4 WR in Broyles, Burly, Titus didn't help. I can forgive Matty for that. Hard to rack up TDs when you only have CJ and 3 guys covering him.
And Pettigrew dropping passes and fumbling the ball like it's his job.

I read somewhere (trying to think of the article) that between Pettigrew and Schefler they tipped 4 interceptions to the other team...

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matty is and always will be a pimp. Dude is a good QB. You don't throw for over 5000 yards and turn around and almost do it again the following year if you suck.

I don't give a shit if it's off his back foot or side arm......Sunny Jurgensen completed a pass behind his back. Stafford is a quality QB, You don't want to let him go.

I don't care if he throws off his back foot either. What I do care about is him completing passes - something he did at a much poorer rate in 2012 than 2011.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watch the Lions go 6-10 or 7-9 and half of you change your tune on Schwartz.

Dude might of stood up to Harbaugh for a second but next year they played and Schwartz was straight up skeered. Wide nine is flawed and easy to exploit. Just run the DE's out of the play and have RB's run through monsterous holes. Also, dude's game plans are lacking innovation and mostly conservative. The one winning season he had, the players were out of control and getting personal fouls left and right.

Linehan is probably the best coach on this team. Most innovative at least.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Schwartz is a better D-Coordinator than head coach. But another 10-6 season could change my mind.

If this is true I would hope the Ford's just sweep them both...Mayhew and Schwartz out the door.

With that being said I find it hard to believe. Schwartz got the contract extension and that bought him time. But if you let Mayhew go you pretty much need to let Schwartz go so the new GM can pick his guy.

They seem connected and Schwartz is no dummy so I would think the harmony stays or at least appears that way in Allen Park.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't care if he throws off his back foot either. What I do care about is him completing passes - something he did at a much poorer rate in 2012 than 2011.

It's all relative. Brett Favre leads the NFL in most INTs ever thrown. Does anyone on this board think Favre sucked? Dude demolished us with 5 yard dump passes for years. Atleast Matty Pimp goes down field.

We have our QB, just need to get our shit together at other positions.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Staff has played what two full seasons now? Expect him to shine in his third full season the tds will go up and the ints go down.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rollingthunder if they dont have a schwartz monument up after the lions go 6-10 next year i will be extremely disappointed. The guy is a proven winner.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watch the Lions go 6-10 or 7-9 and half of you change your tune on Schwartz.

Dude might of stood up to Harbaugh for a second but next year they played and Schwartz was straight up skeered. Wide nine is flawed and easy to exploit. Just run the DE's out of the play and have RB's run through monsterous holes. Also, dude's game plans are lacking innovation and mostly conservative. The one winning season he had, the players were out of control and getting personal fouls left and right.

Linehan is probably the best coach on this team. Most innovative at least.

:10:

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, that seems pretty harsh... guess I'll have to stop disagreeing with you about Schwartz being a crappy head coach- didn't realize it was getting your panties in such a bunch.

If you want to agree with what Principal said there, be my guest, but a lot of that stuff stuck me as being way out line with reality. My bad for speaking up, I guess...

You think that's harsh!?! Have you read some of the things you say to posters when they don't like this Lion. Or that Lion? I don't really give to shits if people want Schwartz fired. If they don't make the playoffs, again, this year I'd be in full support of Mayhew, Schwartz, Scotty, Guns and whoever else getting the axe. But what I don't care for is reading about how pathetic some people's lives are when they say basically the same thing as you, only directed at players, rather than the head coach.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rollingthunder if they dont have a schwartz monument up after the lions go 6-10 next year i will be extremely disappointed. The guy is a proven winner.

:lol:

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think that's harsh!?! Have you read some of the things you say to posters when they don't like this Lion. Or that Lion?

No no, it's never when someone just doesn't like a Lion. But when people are talking trash and over-exaggerating how bad a player is just because they don't like them, I speak up. We get enough trash talk from other team's fans, don't need it from our own.

Plenty of people here don't like certain players, but aren't confrontational about it. Levy is a prime example- nobody likes Levy all that much because he's not all that great of a LB. I'll speak up and defend his averageness against someone calling him trash, but that's about the extent of it.

In this particular instance Principal was clearly trying to ruffle some feathers, and apparently you didn't care for my response to his tactics. If he's free to trash-talk our players I should be more than free to post my less-than-friendly reply...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But what I don't care for is reading about how pathetic some people's lives are when they say basically the same thing as you, only directed at players, rather than the head coach.

The difference is that I actually give some reasoning behind my opinion. Not "Schwartz sucks, he couldn't coach a pee-wee team. What a scrub." I instead reference his atrocious wining percentage, loose cannon temper, and superiority complex. I'm fine with somebody giving reasonable opinions for not liking anyone on the team, but have very little patience for unnecessarily inflated claims of why so-and-so sucks.

Maybe I'm just not Lionized enough yet...

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McDonalds always makes my stomach feel like shit, unless It's Breakfast. I have to be careful selecting things off the breakfast menu too but have a much higher success rate Vs. non-breakfast menu selections.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm in the Mickey Dees drive thru right now. Fuckin monopoly.....

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defend your personal attacks if you want to TPaul. They still piss me the fuck off!