• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Schedule

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just to add to cds point...it shows how important it is to have quality depth players. Seattle is a perfect example. They have back ups that could start on many teams. Denver obviously needs to improve there. We saw the effects esp without Von, Harris, Clady,Vickerson,etc when playing vs playoff caliber teams. Seattle did escape the injury bug better than most but when they needed a guy to step up, they did very well. When a Denver starter goes down, at least right now, the talent level drops off pretty bad. Hopefully the additions and a great draft will lessen the gap. IMHO of course gents:suds:

Yeah, the "effect" was a Super Bowl berth, so I'd say our depth ain't half bad, compared to the majority of other teams. I don't really think the talent level drops off nearly as much. Sometimes though we fans are harder on our own team than on others. But with quality drafts, that depth will only improve. It takes time.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I said the Chargers could go 11-5 I didn't really look at their schedule before I did. They can still go 11-5 but if they do it'll be impressive. The order of opponents, home and away games really makes their schedule look every bit as hard as the Broncos. The Chargers didn't really lose any big names this off season, but they don't appear to have made any major upgrades either. This is an interesting team to watch in the coming months.

I think the Chiefs caught a lot of opponents off guard last year. They also won a lot of close games against backup QBs, some of whom were not even on an active roster just prior to their team playing the Chiefs. They lost some players, too. I think we saw a solid team play some inspired football and come out ahead of where a lot of us thought they would be, but I also think we are going to see a slight drop off with the Chiefs this time around. I'm guessing they're an 8-8 team. Between the stout schedule, improvements of the Chargers and Raiders, and of course, a Broncos team that has gone 5-1 against them under Fox's leadership, the Chiefs are not going to sniff last year's surprising 11-5.

The Raiders are better with Schaub at QB, and they've made a few signings that are upgrades, though this team is still looking at a 5-11 finish. I think they are good enough to swipe one from the Chiefs, and maybe even their home game against the Chargers. This game comes after a bye for the Raiders so they'll have extra time. This is the third year for Allen and GM McKenzie's rebuild project. It is a shame for the Raiders they have the schedule they have this year, because it will appear the are not likely to be able to take their improvements and translate them to wins. Like I said, this is a 4-12 or 5-11 team once again.

I'll go into greater detail on the Broncos after the draft.

The main part of the Chiefs' success last year was in their defense. It was different enough to bottle up opposing teams for a while, but once enough game film came out they struggled. Lack of depth really hurt them too. Once Hali and Houston got dinged up, that pass rush disappeared.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, the "effect" was a Super Bowl berth, so I'd say our depth ain't half bad, compared to the majority of other teams. I don't really think the talent level drops off nearly as much. Sometimes though we fans are harder on our own team than on others. But with quality drafts, that depth will only improve. It takes time.

I definitely agree. The team was actually playing stout defense the last four games before the Super Bowl, too so I don't see how we can keep complaining about depth unless we are trying to make soft excuses for the team's performance in the Super Bowl. Instead of complaining about depth I'd say last season was a testament to the effectiveness of this team to be able to do so much even in the face of so many injuries.

The Broncos go beat, straight up. They had a chance, they blew it. I think they entered the game in the wrong frame of mind and that was evident by the first snap and reaction to it. Short of this acknowledgement I can say the Seahawks were the better team on the field that night, had the better game plan and were able to exploit weaknesses the way any good team should be able to do. That doesn't mean last season was for nothing. It was still a lot of fun and an amazing run by our Broncos. They were one of two teams to reach the Super Bowl in a league full of 32 teams. They added a 7th Super Bowl appearance to the team's history. Seven Super Bowls! Some teams still have not been to one and several more have multiple losses with no wins in the big game.

I certainly would have preferred a win, but at the end of the day all it amounts to is a bad finish for a great season. A few years ago the Broncos were going 8-8 and finishing on skids of 3 or 4 games, or that dreadful 4-12 finish of 2010. I'll take a loss in the Super Bowl over those lousy years every time!

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The main part of the Chiefs' success last year was in their defense. It was different enough to bottle up opposing teams for a while, but once enough game film came out they struggled. Lack of depth really hurt them too. Once Hali and Houston got dinged up, that pass rush disappeared.

Yeah the Chiefs success reminded me of our 8-8 season with McDaniels where we started out something like 6-0. We weren't as good as our record and eventually it started catching up with us. The Chiefs were able to hold out a bit longer than we were mostly because of playing some pretty subpar teams but once they started playing anybody of any quality they went down hill pretty quickly at the end of the year. I will say I was impressed with their fight in the playoffs against the Colts and especially with the game Alex Smith had. This season though I see them going downhill for 2 reasons. 1) like I said they were a bit of a smoke and mirrors act as you pointed out as well. 2) They lost over half their starting OL to Free Agency. The OL takes time to gel so I could really see them struggle at the beginning of the year as the OL tries to figure things out.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree, but I think it is fair to argue their defense, even before its decline, benefitted from the misfortunes of the Chiefs opponents. They had a stretch in which 4 out of 5 opponents were playing backup QBs. A lot of those were one score games. I realize you can't just drop the starter in and say he would have made up the difference. But it is reasonable to question if a starter could have been more effective than a guy who was not even signed shortly before that game. There's no way you can prove it one way or the other, and these circumstances were not the Chiefs' doing at all, but it is a conversation I think is worth having.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I definitely agree. The team was actually playing stout defense the last four games before the Super Bowl, too so I don't see how we can keep complaining about depth unless we are trying to make soft excuses for the team's performance in the Super Bowl. Instead of complaining about depth I'd say last season was a testament to the effectiveness of this team to be able to do so much even in the face of so many injuries.

The Broncos go beat, straight up. They had a chance, they blew it. I think they entered the game in the wrong frame of mind and that was evident by the first snap and reaction to it. Short of this acknowledgement I can say the Seahawks were the better team on the field that night, had the better game plan and were able to exploit weaknesses the way any good team should be able to do. That doesn't mean last season was for nothing. It was still a lot of fun and an amazing run by our Broncos. They were one of two teams to reach the Super Bowl in a league full of 32 teams. They added a 7th Super Bowl appearance to the team's history. Seven Super Bowls! Some teams still have not been to one and several more have multiple losses with no wins in the big game.

I certainly would have preferred a win, but at the end of the day all it amounts to is a bad finish for a great season. A few years ago the Broncos were going 8-8 and finishing on skids of 3 or 4 games, or that dreadful 4-12 finish of 2010. I'll take a loss in the Super Bowl over those lousy years every time!

Definitely! And I think there's substance to Sherman's story that Seattle was able to decipher Manning's signals. That would explain a lot of what happened offensively, especially early on. And the defense wasn't playing bad for the 1st quarter or so. It took a fluke play, and two additional drives by Seattle to build a one TD lead. I mean, what could have been a 16-0 deficit was only 8-0. I think if Denver had been able to move the ball, and answered with a TD early, it's a whole different game. Seattle had some jitters early on too. Imagine the effect on the Seahawks if they see all their hard work neutralized in a single drive? Of course, that's not what happened. But I really can't fault the defense. Even great defenses will crack if left hung out to dry long enough. The key this season will be how effective we are at moving the ball against stout defenses. We solve that, Denver's a dangerous team once again.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe Sherman. They definitely figured something out about the Broncos offense and the offense failed to adjust. Once again, you have to give the Seahawks credit where it is due. They shut down the most prolific offense in NFL history. In doing so they put their own defense in the discussion for most dominant in NFL history.

I think I have really become pragmatic at my ripe old age. (I'm 33.) Years ago that game would have had me beside myself and depressed for weeks. Now I get excited when the team wins, but I don't dwell on it when they lose. I am much more able to enjoy the moments as a result. I think I can trace the shift in my mentality to game three of the World Series in 2007. The Rockies came in hot and got swept by the Red Sox. Halfway through game 3 I was sitting there grumbling and cussing out the television when it dawned on me: I am watching the Colorado Rockies play in the World Series! So they aren't playing the way I wished they would. I am still watching something I never thought would happen: The Rockies are playing in the World Series! I sat back and enjoyed the rest as best as I could from there.

My approach for the Broncos was similar. Enjoy the ride but don't let the outcome ruin the whole experience. And it's a good thing I arrived at that point too, because...well, you saw the game.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We did get the joy of watching history unfold before our very eyes. From the very first week of the season with Peyton throwing 7 touchdowns to the fact the Broncos made it to their 7th Super Bowl which puts them tied for 3rd for most Super Bowl appearances. Definitely will be a season I will always remember. Hopefully in a few years the sting of the Super Bowl will be gone and all that I will remember from the season will be that of all the records I got to enjoy watching fall.

Hopefully this year we can not only see the records chased again but the final outcome of the season end on a bit of a higher note. Very excited by the additions we have made and I just cannot wait for Von Miller to get healthy and see him and Ware going after the quarterback together. I think by the end of the year they will be the most feared pass rushing combo in the league by far.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We did get the joy of watching history unfold before our very eyes. From the very first week of the season with Peyton throwing 7 touchdowns to the fact the Broncos made it to their 7th Super Bowl which puts them tied for 3rd for most Super Bowl appearances. Definitely will be a season I will always remember. Hopefully in a few years the sting of the Super Bowl will be gone and all that I will remember from the season will be that of all the records I got to enjoy watching fall.

Hopefully this year we can not only see the records chased again but the final outcome of the season end on a bit of a higher note. Very excited by the additions we have made and I just cannot wait for Von Miller to get healthy and see him and Ware going after the quarterback together. I think by the end of the year they will be the most feared pass rushing combo in the league by far.

I have a feeling if the Broncos are able to return the Super Bowl and win it, we will look at Manning's span in Denver as a whole and the loss in 48 will be just a minor consideration. If Manning leads the Broncos to a Super Bowl win this season (and history is against him and the Broncos doing this, mind you) fans will look back at this three year stretch as one of the greatest in NFL history.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't stop looking at the schedule and have noticed something. The most intriguing games come in groups this year. Last year the Broncos had that 4-game stretch right after their bye week, but other than that, the most intriguing games were scattered around the schedule. This year the whole thing is clumped together.

Consider:

The first three games of the season feature the Broncos opening at home against the Colts, facing the Chiefs in Denver, and the Seahawks on the road. That's a combined record of 35-13 before the bye week. I know we don't like the early bye, but it may do some good after these three games. Oddly enough, I consider the Chiefs the weakest of these three teams, as I expect the Colts to be a contender this season, the Seahawks to be a contender, but the Chiefs I expect to drop off.

The second really interesting set is the week of 19 October where the Broncos play the 49ers at home on SNF and then face the Chargers at home on TNF just 4 days later. We know this is not a popular decision with the team, and the last TNF game against the Chargers was as flat and uninspiring performance as the Broncos had in the regular season. When you factor just how good the 49ers have been lately, and if you believe the Chargers will improve (maybe they will, maybe they won't) it is not too great a stretch to say it's possible the Broncos go 0-2 here. With that said, I highly doubt this team is going to lose two consecutive home games.

The next stretch comes on the heals of the second stretch, but because the TNF game, it is broken off by a mini-bye. Then the Broncos play three straight road games, beginning with the Patriots, followed by the Raiders, followed by the Rams. The Patriots are not going away. They will be pretty hard to beat, even with a little additional prep time. The Raiders game is the consolation prize for having to play three consecutive road games. Even if they are improved, this does not look like a team the Broncos won't be able to run through. The Rams are an interesting team. They are not bad, but seriously outgunned by their NFC West brethren. They would probably be a 9-7 or 10-6 team in the AFC South or East. If they were in the NFC East last year, they probably would have won it.

The last significant stretch pits the Broncos on the road in two consecutive weeks against playoff teams. In week 15 the Broncos play the Chargers in San Diego. This game is crucial because it could have division crown implications. At the same time, it may well be an elimination game for the Chargers. The very next week the Broncos face the Bengals, who finished 11-5 last year before laying down and playing dead in the playoffs. It will be a tough game to win against a capable team coming off what may be a mentally exhausting game the week prior.

This schedule is just brutal. We knew it would be based on the slate of opponents. But when you see how that slate will play out, it makes it even tougher. As of now, any team in the AFC West that reaches 10-6 has accomplished something special.

But here's the good news:

I don't see the Broncos as significantly worse on offense this year. Last year's offense was historically good, so I don't see them repeating that performance. I do see this as a team that can score 500+ points, though.

This year's defense looks to be MUCH better than last year's or even 2012's. Between the health of players and some of the new signings, we have a good mix of nasty vets and young talent. Plus we haven't seen what the team looks to add in the draft. I wouldn't mind seeing a long term fix at MLB.

If there is any team that can take this schedule and win 10, 11, or even 12 games it is the Denver Broncos. They may not win enough to get the #1 playoff seed this time around (Pats could easily go 14-2 or 13-3; Colts could be a 13-3 team as well) but if this team reaches the playoffs at 12-4 the AFC can look out.

MrDoc420

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe Sherman. They definitely figured something out about the Broncos offense and the offense failed to adjust. Once again, you have to give the Seahawks credit where it is due. They shut down the most prolific offense in NFL history. In doing so they put their own defense in the discussion for most dominant in NFL history.

I think I have really become pragmatic at my ripe old age. (I'm 33.) Years ago that game would have had me beside myself and depressed for weeks. Now I get excited when the team wins, but I don't dwell on it when they lose. I am much more able to enjoy the moments as a result. I think I can trace the shift in my mentality to game three of the World Series in 2007. The Rockies came in hot and got swept by the Red Sox. Halfway through game 3 I was sitting there grumbling and cussing out the television when it dawned on me: I am watching the Colorado Rockies play in the World Series! So they aren't playing the way I wished they would. I am still watching something I never thought would happen: The Rockies are playing in the World Series! I sat back and enjoyed the rest as best as I could from there.

My approach for the Broncos was similar. Enjoy the ride but don't let the outcome ruin the whole experience. And it's a good thing I arrived at that point too, because...well, you saw the game.

Teach me the trick dude. I was completely twisted up and heartbroken for just about 2 weeks or so. I literally did not turn on ESPN for like 5 days :lol:

I did get over it though, but holy cow man.....talk about Murphy's Law in full effect that day. I jokingly tell people that I've erased all memory of 2/2/14, as if it never happened. Gotta lot of peeps in my office who didn't let me forget for awhile too. Typical co-worker busters, but damn was I gettin' snappy with them towards the end :gaah:

MrDoc420

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pumped going into 2014 though. We're going to have a good team, and will be right in the mix of things.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teach me the trick dude. I was completely twisted up and heartbroken for just about 2 weeks or so. I literally did not turn on ESPN for like 5 days :lol:

I did get over it though, but holy cow man.....talk about Murphy's Law in full effect that day. I jokingly tell people that I've erased all memory of 2/2/14, as if it never happened. Gotta lot of peeps in my office who didn't let me forget for awhile too. Typical co-worker busters, but damn was I gettin' snappy with them towards the end :gaah:

And that's the trick right there. It happens in sports. I would be more convinced of the Seahawks superiority if they and the Broncos had played a close, say 3-point game with the Seahawks winning. When you have a blowout in the NFL the winning team is never as good as they look and the losing team is never as bad as they look. That game was a calamity of errors literally from the opening snap for the Broncos. Several little things that went wrong all season long but in small amounts all happened at the same time in that game. It is what it is.

With that said, I generally did not want to hear about football for a while either. I though Seattle deserved a lot of credit for that game, but I had no interest in hearing anyone heap it on.

Malibu

PEACE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just want to see a defense that is physical and can make plays on the ball compared to the garbage we had to watch last year and I dont give a shit about injuries. What Elway did in the offseason shows that he thought the defense sucked as well. Id care less what the offense puts up for points, yards, or any records it may set if it cant do a damn thing in the Super Bowl again it wont matter. Hopefully after the draft the MLB and CB situation is taken care of.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just want to see a defense that is physical and can make plays on the ball compared to the garbage we had to watch last year and I dont give a shit about injuries. What Elway did in the offseason shows that he thought the defense sucked as well. Id care less what the offense puts up for points, yards, or any records it may set if it cant do a damn thing in the Super Bowl again it wont matter. Hopefully after the draft the MLB and CB situation is taken care of.

I want to see a better defense than last year of course but not sure the signings Elway made showed he thought the defense was a mess. The Broncos had cap room to update a few positions and that is what they did. To me the defense last year injuries played a very big role and can't just be ignored because people always say next man up or that they are all professionals. There is a reason there is only 1 Von Miller in the NFL. There is a reason Champ is a 1st ballot HOF player. There is a reason Wolfe was expected to be the DL captain this past year. All of these guys were top notch players that were missed greatly.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, it was such a mess they finished the season 4-1, and allowed an average of 15 PPG over the 4 games leading up to the Super Bowl. In addition, they held Seattle to only a one TD lead through the first quarter while being hung out to dry by the offense.

AGAIN: Denver's MAIN PROBLEM in the Super Bowl wasn't defense. The defense was getting it done as long as they could. The main problem was Denver's inability to move the ball on offense. You hang your defense out to dry like that, and the results are never pretty, no matter how hightly rated your defense is. Take a look at who led the league in scoring defense in 1989. How did that work out come Super Bowl time?

Can our defense improve? Sure! Would I like to see a much more dominant defense play for the Broncos? Absolutely! But you also need an offense that can move the ball against a tough defense. The key is moving the chains on a regular basis. Beefing up the defense isn't going to solve any problems in moving the ball on offense.....

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've given up on Malibu, guys. I don't remember him being such a pansy back in the CBS days.

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've given up on Malibu, guys. I don't remember him being such a pansy back in the CBS days.

Neither do I. He sounds more like MasterAgain.