• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Saying Goodbye to some old friends

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last night. Last game. Last chance to see some old friends in the Orange and Black. Who those old friends will be? Hmmmm

Knuble, Foster, Boucher, Fedotenko....and???

The popular word is that Briere or Bryzgalov could be bought out. One, both, neither.

Gagne, some nights/days it seems like he has earned himself another year or two at a reduced rate/role. Some...not so much.

The real log jam is on the blue line.

Timonen, Grossmann, Coburn, Meszaros, Schenn, Gervais and Bourdon are all signed for next season...Lauridsen, Manning and Gustafsson are all RFA's.

If Bryz is bought out, who is the other goalie?
If Briere is bought out, how does that money get applied?

How does the log jam at the blue line get worked out?

Is Hall brought back? Huskins?

Laughton fits in is a given, but in what role?

Long offseason and a lot of questions.

recon

FLYERS
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's going to be an interesting offseason.

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bye to Gagne Fedo, Bryz Mezaros,Gervais, Knuble,Foster

Keep Briere

Our Young Dmen have stepped up big time. I say we need one more dman going into next year. Now do we keep Coburn? Or try to replace him with someone else

Timmo Grossman, Shenn, Gusty, in my mind are locks. Oscar has played very well and Coburn is wild card

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mason is the starter unless we go after Luongo or Miller
If not we need a veteren backup who can step in if needed.

Giroux vorachek, simmonds,Read,Hartnell,Shenn,couts,Briere,Talbot,Rinaldo,Laughton seem to be locks for the lineup.
We could have our first rounder jamed in there somewhere.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Laughton at the 3C. Bring back Hall. Same with Gagne if he accepts lower money and a lesser role. Couturier vs Schenn for the 2C will be interesting.

Briere is toast. The jury is out on Bryz.

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Laughton at the 3C. Bring back Hall. Same with Gagne if he accepts lower money and a lesser role. Couturier vs Schenn for the 2C will be interesting.

Briere is toast. The jury is out on Bryz.

I think is Bryz who is toast and Briere sticks around

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Briere is out. Its pretty obvious and he even knows he wi be out.

WOOTPOKER

Why you heff to be mad?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Bryz needs to be bought out. It has nothing to do with him being a good/bad goalie, but we can't move forward with a 5.67 cap hit for SEVEN more years for a goalie who will be 40 when the contracts up. Unless its a Brodeur in his prime or a Lundqvist, I don't think its wise to commit to any more than 4 years to a goalie.

Mason has really impressed me and will save us so much money. Move forward with Mason and a middle of the pack veteran to back him up.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless there is a goalie we are trading for it won't hurt to keep Bryz next year IMO

Bryz needs to be bought out. It has nothing to do with him being a good/bad goalie, but we can't move forward with a 5.67 cap hit for SEVEN more years for a goalie who will be 40 when the contracts up. Unless its a Brodeur in his prime or a Lundqvist, I don't think its wise to commit to any more than 4 years to a goalie.

Mason has really impressed me and will save us so much money. Move forward with Mason and a middle of the pack veteran to back him up.

as much as id rather not have bryz on the team.. i agree w/ 4706.. i think the 2nd buyout will be used on bryz, but unless they can find a solid veteran to compete w/ mason, it should be used in 2014. no reason to put all the pressures of being a starting goalie in philly on mason after 4 good games.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1 million % :agree:

soulxflare

Arrive. Raise Hell. Leave.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

STRONG this.

There is, almost literally, zero positive(s) to not using an amnesty on Bryz this summer. He's a headcase, easily rattled, and makes too much money (for too many years) which his on-ice performance doesn't even remotely back up.

Briere also makes too much to justify his contract, but I'd make an honest attempt to keep him, since he only has two years left. If, at that point, you still want him around as a character guy, you can give him a much more manageable deal.

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
STRONG this.

There is, almost literally, zero positive(s) to not using an amnesty on Bryz this summer. He's a headcase, easily rattled, and makes too much money (for too many years) which his on-ice performance doesn't even remotely back up.

Briere also makes too much to justify his contract, but I'd make an honest attempt to keep him, since he only has two years left. If, at that point, you still want him around as a character guy, you can give him a much more manageable deal.

plus we can still use a buyout after next season. Id like to keep Briere for depth and playoff exp

WOOTPOKER

Why you heff to be mad?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
plus we can still use a buyout after next season. Id like to keep Briere for depth and playoff exp

I agree. I really hope they can find a way to hang on to him. He'd only be here for 2 more years and I do still think he serves a role on this team. If anything, keep him one more year then buy him out next summer when G, schenn and coots need new contracts

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. I really hope they can find a way to hang on to him. He'd only be here for 2 more years and I do still think he serves a role on this team. If anything, keep him one more year then buy him out next summer when G, schenn and coots need new contracts

Agree 100%

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gotta buy one of bryz or briere out this summer.. i lean towards briere because i'd rather have couturier or schenn step in as the #2 center (with the other being #3) than i would be having mason step in as the #1 goalie.. a sure-fire way to wreck what looks like a good move, is to throw him to the wolves too soon.. sure he's played very well so far, but he's only played what, 5 games? too early to give him the reigns IMO

i like briere a lot more than i like bryz, but the team can replace briere a lot easier than they can replace bryz.

also, if meltzer repeatedly says it's 'likely' briere gets bought out this summer, he's likely to get bought out this summer. meltzer isn't a waste of oxygen like the rest of the philly media, he knows what he's talking about and wouldn't say that unless he was 99% sure it was going to happen

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gotta buy one of bryz or briere out this summer.. i lean towards briere because i'd rather have couturier or schenn step in as the #2 center (with the other being #3) than i would be having mason step in as the #1 goalie.. a sure-fire way to wreck what looks like a good move, is to throw him to the wolves too soon.. sure he's played very well so far, but he's only played what, 5 games? too early to give him the reigns IMO

i like briere a lot more than i like bryz, but the team can replace briere a lot easier than they can replace bryz.

also, if meltzer repeatedly says it's 'likely' briere gets bought out this summer, he's likely to get bought out this summer. meltzer isn't a waste of oxygen like the rest of the philly media, he knows what he's talking about and wouldn't say that unless he was 99% sure it was going to happen

Do you know if there is a deadline for when the buyouts must take place?

Whatever way they go they need to have a plan to replace the outgoing player.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you know if there is a deadline for when the buyouts must take place?

Whatever way they go they need to have a plan to replace the outgoing player.

I think I read on the main board earlier than the buyout window is June 15th to June 30th (draft day)

And agreed. Though, briere is essentially already replaced. Schenn will probably center the 2nd line, coots at 3, Laughton at 4.

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I read on the main board earlier than the buyout window is June 15th to June 30th (draft day)

And agreed. Though, briere is essentially already replaced. Schenn will probably center the 2nd line, coots at 3, Laughton at 4.

Schenn , Couts and Laughton to me is to young.
We need someone who can step in and be counted on.

Esecially if someone gets hurt long term.
We need the depth that we had a few years ago

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schenn , Couts and Laughton to me is to young.
We need someone who can step in and be counted on.

Esecially if someone gets hurt long term.
We need the depth that we had a few years ago

I can't argue with that.

They do have talbot who can play any position as well. Should certainly be an interesting offseason