• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sam Bradford Contract

DaEagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So those that think Bradford should be brought back, what kind of contract should the Eagles sign him to?

Are you thinking one year type? Multiple years?

Let's hear the contract offers from the supporters.

DaEagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we can't get an Ossweiler or a Kirk Cousins long term I wouldn't mind Bradford coming back.

If I were the Eagles I'd offer a 2 year $25 million dollar offer and go with the draft to look for your future guy. Bradford could be the guy next year while the rookie learned the ropes. If he wants more then that, you let him go and go with a journeyman for a year or 2 while developing the future QB.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would Franchise him. You can't win in this league without a QB and it's 1. not a good year for QB's in the draft (not at 13 anyhoo) and 2. We don't have a 2nd round pick. Once Bradford got over the timidness he showed early in the season and once was comfortable with the Offense he looked very solid slinging the ball. His accuracy improved and his internal clock improved getting rid of the ball. The NFL isn't the NBA ... you don't just tank a year for a draft pick, you try and put the best product you can on the field. If he shows well under the tag you sign him long term ... if not then you go with another option; maybe a guy you draft in Rd 3 this year or take one in the first in 2017. Bradford won't sign for short term ... it's either the tag, sign him long term or he signs elswhere.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would Franchise him. You can't win in this league without a QB and it's 1. not a good year for QB's in the draft (not at 13 anyhoo) and 2. We don't have a 2nd round pick. Once Bradford got over the timidness he showed early in the season and once was comfortable with the Offense he looked very solid slinging the ball. His accuracy improved and his internal clock improved getting rid of the ball. The NFL isn't the NBA ... you don't just tank a year for a draft pick, you try and put the best product you can on the field. If he shows well under the tag you sign him long term ... if not then you go with another option; maybe a guy you draft in Rd 3 this year or take one in the first in 2017. Bradford won't sign for short term ... it's either the tag, sign him long term or he signs elswhere.

The issue is that by some estimates, the franchise tag for QB in 2016 could be north of $25M. Its hard to estimate as its the average of the top 5 salaries and some players may restructure. For instance, Brees is at $30M in 2016, but may need to restructure or get cut. Its the last year of the contract and it has about $9M in increases that I don't think either side expected would actually be paid - rather just a way to force a renegotiation.

But if it is $25M, that is probably $7-8M above the market for Bradford.

Carson Palmer's contract would be a very good deal if the Eagles could get something comparable for Bradford. 3 years, $49.5M and 20.5 guaranteed. With the salary cap inflation I would expect them to add about 25% to that deal which might be $60M with a $25M guarantee. If you let Bradford hit the open market, and can get get him for a 3 year deal with $25M in guarantees, that is way better than a one year deal with a $25M pricetag. The Eagles would be foolish to tag him under that scenario...and its also foolish to think the Eagles could get him for much less.

WIZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 years $51 million $25 million guaranteed.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,586.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a 2 year contract worth 28-30 million is fair....maybe with a team option for 3rd season. He struggled early in the season in Chip's offense but settled down and played fairly well....his PR was the 2nd highest of his career. If they bring in a coach that uses him and Murray properly, this team could bounce back imo.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,586.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Shanahan reached out to the Eagles....I know he gets shit on by some fans but he would know how to utilize Braford and Murray. A 3 year deal to see what he could do? I'd do it.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,586.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's only 63.....I woulda thought he was closing in on 70....LOL.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a 2 year contract worth 28-30 million is fair....maybe with a team option for 3rd season. He struggled early in the season in Chip's offense but settled down and played fairly well....his PR was the 2nd highest of his career. If they bring in a coach that uses him and Murray properly, this team could bounce back imo.

Remember he is an UFA. He will likely get interest from Houston, maybe San Francisco and Cleveland. If your in a three way bidding war, I doubt he takes less than Carson Palmer money.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,586.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember he is an UFA. He will likely get interest from Houston, maybe San Francisco and Cleveland. If your in a three way bidding war, I doubt he takes less than Carson Palmer money.

Brian Hoyer got the Texans into the playoffs....doubt they are looking to replace him after the season he had (236ypg, 7.1ypa, 19 TD's to just 7 INT's, 91.4 PR).

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brian Hoyer got the Texans into the playoffs....doubt they are looking to replace him after the season he had (236ypg, 7.1ypa, 19 TD's to just 7 INT's, 91.4 PR).

Hoyer missed 5 games due to injury and went 5-6 as a starter. He is also 30 years old. This is only the second season that he has played significantly. While he performed well, he has hardly positioned himself as a guaranteed starter. He is under contract for next year at $5M so it seems more likely they keep him and draft a rookie.

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bradfords agent already rejected a 4 year contract worth 72 million earlier in the season. That means he will be looking for a 5 year deal worth around 100 million. A lot of money for an injury prone QB who is just starting to come around!

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bradford's not doing a 2 or 3 year deal. He's the best on the market and in a down year at QB in the draft. Is Franchising him paying him more than he's worth? Yes it is ... but you pay extra to not be in QB hell. Plus you do it for "one" year ... if he doesn't work out well under the new coaching regime you can walk away from him without owing he or your cap a dime. If he works out then you get your money's worth for the tag money and you have the advantage of signing him long term.

SixthStreet

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1 year franchise tender. He will be healthy and will prove he's worth the long term commitment.

No one is giving up 2 1st rounders for him so the Eagles have the leverage to lock him into a one year deal. There's nothing his agent can do about it.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bradford's not doing a 2 or 3 year deal. He's the best on the market and in a down year at QB in the draft. Is Franchising him paying him more than he's worth? Yes it is ... but you pay extra to not be in QB hell. Plus you do it for "one" year ... if he doesn't work out well under the new coaching regime you can walk away from him without owing he or your cap a dime. If he works out then you get your money's worth for the tag money and you have the advantage of signing him long term.

If the market goes north of $25M guaranteed it would be a good plan. Otherwise your better off locking him for a few years at the same or less total guarantee.

Northern Eagle

Hangin' With The Homeboys
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agreed - the best option is to franchise him at this point. I'm skittish to give him a long term deal because he doesn't have the body of work to warrant one. But this argument may become moot depending on who our hire is at HC/OC.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Shanahan reached out to the Eagles....I know he gets shit on by some fans but he would know how to utilize Braford and Murray. A 3 year deal to see what he could do? I'd do it.

Not a fan of Shanny.

Screamin Eagle

Stand for the Flag, Kneel for the Cross
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An incentive and performance laden contract that if he produces pays him more than a standard contract.

Birds4life81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's not forget Bradford's agent is Tom Condon….aka we're not getting an incentive based contract like Kaepernick, or a discount -- it's going to be a lot of money. I can see Bradford throwing a fit about getting franchised as well, but that's just a hunch.

To be honest with you guys, we're screwed at QB. I'm not saying we should tank it, I'm saying we don't have many options until we finally hit on a QB in the draft. I'm not forcing the issue and offering a big chunk of change to a QB like Bradford just to stay relatively competitive -- despite whatever arguments you want to make for Sam, he will never be the caliber QB that can lead us to the big show. A few trips to the playoffs with a good supporting cast, maybe some playoff wins, but never a Super Bowl.

Since 2004 there's been 8 Super Bowl winning QB:

Tom Brady
Russel Wilson
Joe Flacco
Eli Manning
Aaron Rodgers
Drew Brees
Ben Rothlisberger
Peyton Manning

I promise you Sam will not be on that list in the next 10 years. Time to get hunting. I'll be personally hitting the film to try and "evaluate" some of these college QBs, let's hope the eagles scouting team does better than I do.

L.Freamon

Formerly FWFW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm willing to open the gates of QB hell as opposed to crashing our cap (Thanks Chip!) on an average QB with injury issues. Signing him may make it difficult to plug other holes the next 2 years.

If he had some special qualities or even a proven track record of success i would be more enthusiastic about committing big $ to him. A special QB could make up for other deficiencies on the team while eating up our cap, making the investment worthwhile.