• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Salary Cap situation

Ltrain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Not sure where that data comes from. As the analysis below shows, our cap situation is far from bad. Only a couple of the free agents on our roster that i even feel are nececassary to resign. Our most important players are all locked up. It isn't like we have a $20 million per year contract looming. We can't go after any big free agents but we rarely do that anyway. That being the case, our cap situation is very managable this offseason.

49ers salary cap 2015: New cap figures open the door for what to expect from San Francisco front office - Niners Nation

Nice article, with all the likely retirements and releases we will have plenty of cap space to climb out of a likely 4th place finish next year in the NFC West.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 506.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A little update.
Spotrac has not yet updated Kaeps $2M de-escalator clause so the ninernation is spot on Kaeps cap hit for 2015 but he is off on others.
This looks up to date assuming Kaep is not a 1st or 2nd team all pro.
San Francisco 49ers Salary Cap - Over the Cap
Still though, a tough picture with cuts being required to remain under the cap.

Ltrain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
A little update.
Spotrac has not yet updated Kaeps $2M de-escalator clause so the ninernation is spot on Kaeps cap hit for 2015 but he is off on others.
This looks up to date assuming Kaep is not a 1st or 2nd team all pro.
San Francisco 49ers Salary Cap - Over the Cap
Still though, a tough picture with cuts being required to remain under the cap.

Terrible...maybe next year we won't be spending $22+ million on guys on the IR.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uhsplit is correct here. I am not sure where the writer is getting his numbers. Factoring in Kap's de-escalator, the Niners right now are at $148,241,344 for 2015. Also, the available rollover space from to 2014 to 2015 is $3,474,213, not $6,370,719 as stated in the article. So if the rolled over the the total available from 2014, that would put their 2015 cap number at $144,767,131 to start the the new league year. If we use the high-end cap estimate of $140 mil, that would put the Niners at a -$4,767,131 in cap space, not at +$2,195,902 as the writer contends.

Either way, the Niners are going to have to make some tough choices on who to release or bring brack. And of course they could go the Steelers route & push dead money into further years by converting a few high base salaries into restructure bonuses & dropping their salary to vet minimums.

For what it's worth, the Cardinals are sitting in a similar position as the Niners when it comes to cap space. Fortunately, most of the Cardinals cap problems can be solved when Fitz's situation resolves it's self.

Terrible...maybe next year we won't be spending $22+ million on guys on the IR.

Yep, that definitely sucks. Cardinal fans know what that is like, we have $28+ mil sitting on IR.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uhsplit is correct here. I am not sure where the writer is getting his numbers. Factoring in Kap's de-escalator, the Niners right now are at $148,241,344 for 2015. Also, the available rollover space from to 2014 to 2015 is $3,474,213, not $6,370,719 as stated in the article. So if the rolled over the the total available from 2014, that would put their 2015 cap number at $144,767,131 to start the the new league year. If we use the high-end cap estimate of $140 mil, that would put the Niners at a -$4,767,131 in cap space, not at +$2,195,902 as the writer contends.

Either way, the Niners are going to have to make some tough choices on who to release or bring brack. And of course they could go the Steelers route & push dead money into further years by converting a few high base salaries into restructure bonuses & dropping their salary to vet minimums.

For what it's worth, the Cardinals are sitting in a similar position as the Niners when it comes to cap space. Fortunately, most of the Cardinals cap problems can be solved when Fitz's situation resolves it's self.

I expect some of the older non-preferforming players and those injured to be cut. I don't think it is going to be an either or approach but some sort of combination of both In the end it will be straightened out.

What happened to the Cardinals Sunday night?

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expect some of the older non-preferforming players and those injured to be cut. I don't think it is going to be an either or approach but some sort of combination of both In the end it will be straightened out.

What happened to the Cardinals Sunday night?

We got curb stomped. That's what happens when you play a healthy defending SB champ that is rolling while you are starting a 4th string QB. Wilson made a few great plays to get them the lead & eventually it broke the defense's back to start the second half knowing they don't have the horses on offense to comeback.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We got curb stomped. That's what happens when you play a healthy defending SB champ that is rolling while you are starting a 4th string QB. Wilson made a few great plays to get them the lead & eventually it broke the defense's back to start the second half knowing they don't have the horses on offense to comeback.

I expected the Cardinals offense struggle with the QB situation. But the play of the defense was disappointing. Realize injuries are a factor just like the 49ers who are decimated right now. You had them backed up a couple of times. Seeing a pedestrian RB like Turbin getting 5 yards a carry behind that line was disappointing. There were other breakdowns on D. Disappointing only because Arizona's D is considered really good and were playing at home.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 506.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yep, that definitely sucks. Cardinal fans know what that is like, we have $28+ mil sitting on IR.
You guys have us beat with so much $ sitting on IR for both teams, even the Lambs as well.
Yet we smoke all of you in dead money! Thank you Mr. Harvin.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 506.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expected the Cardinals offense struggle with the QB situation. But the play of the defense was disappointing. Realize injuries are a factor just like the 49ers who are decimated right now. You had them backed up a couple of times. Seeing a pedestrian RB like Turbin getting 5 yards a carry behind that line was disappointing. There were other breakdowns on D. Disappointing only because Arizona's D is considered really good and were playing at home.
As wierd as this sounds, I think the Az offense did better than the Az defense in that game. Most of us expected difficulty for the O, but their D gave us a team record in single game yardage of almost 600 yards.The Az D Line, the LBr's, and DB's all laid down.
TOP was in Seattle's favor but it wasn't absurd 33-27 min. and should not have accounted for that much scoring for Seattle.
It was a bad move by the Az DC to keep #50 in man coverage without help as RW kept abusing him. That is the caveat when stacking the box against Seattle because Russell has shown most of the time he will exploit that.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 506.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back to the cap. How much is the amount a team should plan for to sign their rookie draft class? I though I had heard about $5 million, but I'm not too sure about that.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As wierd as this sounds, I think the Az offense did better than the Az defense in that game. Most of us expected difficulty for the O, but their D gave us a team record in single game yardage of almost 600 yards.The Az D Line, the LBr's, and DB's all laid down.
TOP was in Seattle's favor but it wasn't absurd 33-27 min. and should not have accounted for that much scoring for Seattle.
It was a bad move by the Az DC to keep #50 in man coverage without help as RW kept abusing him. That is the caveat when stacking the box against Seattle because Russell has shown most of the time he will exploit that.

The first drive, when I saw Turbin racking up yards on first down runs, I alreadey had a feeling Az was going to be in trouble. Then when they failed to contain Wilson's runs, that was it.

Chamoanlad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back to the cap. How much is the amount a team should plan for to sign their rookie draft class? I though I had heard about $5 million, but I'm not too sure about that.

The average figure was 5-6 mill, but obviously a team like the Jags are gonna pay more than you guys.

After the cap raise, roll over, and likely retirement of J. Smith the team should have enough to break even with their draft class. There isn't going to be any kind of money for FA's though without cutting or restructuring guys.

To the guys on who think we are gonna have a lot of money. There is absolutely no way we can afford Suh, Maclin, Bryant, or any big name FA. No ones going to trade for Ahmad Brooks since most teams are smart enough to know he's gonna get cut or restructured and off the market anyway and no one would absorb that cap hit. Vernon Davis is another story. He's been off this year, but he's still the fastest TE out there and could be great again with the right QB and system. His cap figure isn't outrageous either. I think we keep him though unless he wants out of SF or is still trying to hold out.

I also don't see how our offense isn't in a worse situation next year without Iupati. We have no one to take over for him except maybe Marcus Martin with Kilgore back at center. It's a downgrade and we have no depth if we do that and we can see how many injuries our O line had this year. Plus we know Boone's contract is up after next year. Unless you plan on drafting O Line in 1st or second round we're gonna turn into the mediocre Cowboys with a decently talented skill group, but a horrible O Line and sit around 8-8 every year.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The average figure was 5-6 mill, but obviously a team like the Jags are gonna pay more than you guys.

After the cap raise, roll over, and likely retirement of J. Smith the team should have enough to break even with their draft class. There isn't going to be any kind of money for FA's though without cutting or restructuring guys.

To the guys on who think we are gonna have a lot of money. There is absolutely no way we can afford Suh, Maclin, Bryant, or any big name FA. No ones going to trade for Ahmad Brooks since most teams are smart enough to know he's gonna get cut or restructured and off the market anyway and no one would absorb that cap hit. Vernon Davis is another story. He's been off this year, but he's still the fastest TE out there and could be great again with the right QB and system. His cap figure isn't outrageous either. I think we keep him though unless he wants out of SF or is still trying to hold out.

I also don't see how our offense isn't in a worse situation next year without Iupati. We have no one to take over for him except maybe Marcus Martin with Kilgore back at center. It's a downgrade and we have no depth if we do that and we can see how many injuries our O line had this year. Plus we know Boone's contract is up after next year. Unless you plan on drafting O Line in 1st or second round we're gonna turn into the mediocre Cowboys with a decently talented skill group, but a horrible O Line and sit around 8-8 every year.

I could actually see Martin staying at Center and Kilgore moving to guard or Brandon Thomas at Guard. I am on the fence with Iupati. He is always getting injured and has been inconsistent this year. And he has struggled in pass protection. Tim Ryan was on KNBR this morning and talking about Iupati and Boone missing assignments this year.

Chamoanlad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could actually see Martin staying at Center and Kilgore moving to guard or Brandon Thomas at Guard. I am on the fence with Iupati. He is always getting injured and has been inconsistent this year. And he has struggled in pass protection. Tim Ryan was on KNBR this morning and talking about Iupati and Boone missing assignments this year.

Boone and Iupati have both been getting killed at times and missing assignments, but some of that is with the line calls that are being used and with 8-9 guys in the box creating confusion. Kilgore has played pretty well at center, when I watch him at guard he struggles in moving anyone off the line. He hasn't been strong enough so plays well at Center in sealing off lineman or going after LB's. Martin is pretty strong, but he lets people get under his pads too much. That's something correctible though.

Brandon Thomas I think is the wildcard. If he can come back and play at his talent level he can easily be a starter, but after seeing what's happened with our guys who sat a year in Lattimore and Carradine (needing time to knock off rust), I can't trust him for 2015.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least we should be able to add some talent to this team not just through the draft.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we don't resign Iupati we have to resign Boone.
If we do resign Iupati then we can trade Boone and get something before he walks.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Iupati is a good player and his experience in our system is obviously positive. But he's supposedly seeking BIG money so VALUE is the issue, not ability. We can't blame these players for taking the money, it is likely their only big contract.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Boone and Iupati have both been getting killed at times and missing assignments, but some of that is with the line calls that are being used and with 8-9 guys in the box creating confusion. Kilgore has played pretty well at center, when I watch him at guard he struggles in moving anyone off the line. He hasn't been strong enough so plays well at Center in sealing off lineman or going after LB's. Martin is pretty strong, but he lets people get under his pads too much. That's something correctible though.

Brandon Thomas I think is the wildcard. If he can come back and play at his talent level he can easily be a starter, but after seeing what's happened with our guys who sat a year in Lattimore and Carradine (needing time to knock off rust), I can't trust him for 2015.

yep, a big wildcard. We could really use him or at least have him show potential early in the off season.

even if Iupati leaves, don't see us drafting a linemen high? another 4th rounder or later, but not rounds 1 to 3? But then again who knows with these drafts, maybe solid LT value falls and if so, take him.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yep, a big wildcard. We could really use him or at least have him show potential early in the off season.

even if Iupati leaves, don't see us drafting a linemen high? another 4th rounder or later, but not rounds 1 to 3? But then again who knows with these drafts, maybe solid LT value falls and if so, take him.

I wouldn't mind a OL in the 3rd or 4th. I also like that we take 1-2 guys that we stash away for the following year.

I really want one of the big name WRs or a DE to take either Ray's old spot or a replacement for J. Smith. I hope Smith plays 1 more year at least.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Definitely seed the need to draft a lineman. Jonathan Martin sux and with Harbaugh gone, think he will get axed/ Even if somehow Iupati and Boone are both back, still need to build some quality depth.