• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Salary Cap situation

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
. The last group are players who could retire:
•If Anquan Boldin retired, the 49ers would save $3.273 million in salary cap room.
•If Justin Smith retired, the 49ers would save $4.25 million in salary cap room.
•If Phil Dawson retired, the 49ers would save $3.143 million in salary cap room.

Anquan Boldin will be a TOUGH decision, yes he is still good for what we do. He has good hands which is necessary for Kaep's bullet throws. But this cost is hard to justify, so pure cap decision.

i'll guess Justin Smith will retire, too much turmoil went on this past season. He doesn't need to start learning a new scheme.

will guess we also move on from Dawson, not because he isn't good, just a cap casualty.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
. The last group are players who could retire:
•If Anquan Boldin retired, the 49ers would save $3.273 million in salary cap room.
•If Justin Smith retired, the 49ers would save $4.25 million in salary cap room.
•If Phil Dawson retired, the 49ers would save $3.143 million in salary cap room.

Anquan Boldin will be a TOUGH decision, yes he is still good for what we do. He has good hands which is necessary for Kaep's bullet throws. But this cost is hard to justify, so pure cap decision.

i'll guess Justin Smith will retire, too much turmoil went on this past season. He doesn't need to start learning a new scheme.

will guess we also move on from Dawson, not because he isn't good, just a cap casualty.

I would hate to lose Boldin if Crabtree is gone. The team could really use a veteran presence at WR. Not sure about Stevie Johnson

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I would hate to lose Boldin if Crabtree is gone. The team could really use a veteran presence at WR. Not sure about Stevie Johnson

yep, tough call on Boldin for that reason.

I would be ok if we go with Johnson as that vet 'go to' guy. Cause we do need to bring in new blood, dynamic blood, not because I don't want Boldin.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I read that this morning. Even though the cap is tight, there isnt any big signings due this year. I see most of the FA as being replacable.

agree.

the big difference was Kaep signing a reasonable contract.

Chamoanlad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers salary cap 2015: New cap figures open the door for what to expect from San Francisco front office - Niners Nation

Good breakdown of the salary cap.

See ya Crabtree, Mike 'hurt all the damn time' Iupati, and Brooks.

We have to re-sign at least one of Cox and Culliver. That re-signing plus our draft class pretty much eats up our cap space and the Brooks cut. Justin Smith probably retires as he's really slowed down this 2nd half of the season and just doesn't seem like he wants to go through all the drama. Boldin looks like he's having as much fun as ever and I doubt he retires.

The point being we don't have any room to go after any big free agents and will rely on getting our IR guys back to make a playoff run. Having basically our exact same team from this year could be playoff eligible, but it's no threat to the Seahawks unless some of our youngers guys play at a pro bowl level.

I agree we need to let Crab walk, but if Iupati goes we have absolutely no one ready to step in for him. He's also the primary puller and probably best run blocker with Anthony Davis. If Iupati will take something in the 6-8 million range with some of that dependent on his health, I would bring him back. Even bringing Iupati back will require cutting another guy or reworking contracts.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We should have a good amount to spend.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go get a Top WR in this FA class and a CB and I will be happy. Outside shot go all in on Suh(if he hits the market) if J. Smith retires.

WR that might hit the market/
Cobb
Maclin
D. Thomas
Dez
T. Smith
Nicks

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 506.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We should have a good amount to spend.

Would you mind explaining how the 9ers will have any money at all for a FA next year?

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would you mind explaining how the 9ers will have any money at all for a FA next year?

We aren't resigning Crabtree, Iupati and Gore takes a pay cut. Also throw in we released Ray and maybe we cut/trade Brooks and VD. 49ers will have enough to get what they want this year. Please read article before responding. Its all in there how we will have plenty of money to spend.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

just read the article.

we don't have a LOT of cap room, but it isn't as DIRE as you think. Some of those moves were planned last year, if not two. That's what GM's are supposed to do too, plan ahead.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 506.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just read the article.

we don't have a LOT of cap room, but it isn't as DIRE as you think. Some of those moves were planned last year, if not two. That's what GM's are supposed to do too, plan ahead.
I get a lot of my cap info at spotrac.com
Some of their #'s are different than the #'s the author refers to.
After updating since the Ray M departure, spotrac says SF will be roughly $12M over the cap to start the year. This overage accounts for the UFA status of Gore, Iupati, et al.
After looking at that data, it hopefully illuminates why I think your team is in a tough spot regarding the cap.
One thing I wasn't aware of is some type of a restructure of Kaeps contract saving $ money in exchange for a later hit.
San Francisco 49ers Salary Cap - 2015 Breakdown

There is lots of great info at this site. I am not saying spotrac is accurate and the author is a liar. They are probably both wrong.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get a lot of my cap info at spotrac.com
Some of their #'s are different than the #'s the author refers to.
After updating since the Ray M departure, spotrac says SF will be roughly $12M over the cap to start the year. This overage accounts for the UFA status of Gore, Iupati, et al.
After looking at that data, it hopefully illuminates why I think your team is in a tough spot regarding the cap.
One thing I wasn't aware of is some type of a restructure of Kaeps contract saving $ money in exchange for a later hit.
San Francisco 49ers Salary Cap - 2015 Breakdown

There is lots of great info at this site. I am not saying spotrac is accurate and the author is a liar. They are probably both wrong.

Not sure where that data comes from. As the analysis below shows, our cap situation is far from bad. Only a couple of the free agents on our roster that i even feel are nececassary to resign. Our most important players are all locked up. It isn't like we have a $20 million per year contract looming. We can't go after any big free agents but we rarely do that anyway. That being the case, our cap situation is very managable this offseason.

49ers salary cap 2015: New cap figures open the door for what to expect from San Francisco front office - Niners Nation

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 506.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure where that data comes from. As the analysis below shows, our cap situation is far from bad. Only a couple of the free agents on our roster that i even feel are nececassary to resign. Our most important players are all locked up. It isn't like we have a $20 million per year contract looming. We can't go after any big free agents but we rarely do that anyway. That being the case, our cap situation is very managable this offseason.

I don't think any of you want to believe that spotrac could be correct. In the least, the website lists a breakdown on how the $ is earned. The page you present only shows 1 total figure for each player.
On a quick look, the author of the article presented leaves out the roster bonus on Kaep $2 million, Bowman $750k, VD $431250 and most likely others as well.
Regarding the roster bonus for Kaep I found this on PFT:
The contract also includes, starting in 2015, a whopping $2 million per year in per-game roster bonuses, an amount that one source characterized as “massive” in comparison to similar deals. He does count many of the roster bonuses in his article and leaves some out.
Many fans follow spotrac and refer to their site for solid data. Whenever we add/subtract or negotiate a new contact, in only a few days it gets updated to reflect the new #'s. We extended KL Wright and Avril last week. That info is on their site but has not yet been added into the total cap hit for next year so they do move quickly.
So FWIW I value spotrac and the unbiased reports on all teams vs the ninersnation article which will paint the team in a favorable light.