• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Safety Overhaul

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd really like to have Goldson back but I'm not breaking the bank for him. We need to think about the rest of the team and he happens to play a position that isn't as important as others. I'd be sad to see him go because I love the way he plays but we have to be reasonable.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'd really like to have Goldson back but I'm not breaking the bank for him. We need to think about the rest of the team and he happens to play a position that isn't as important as others. I'd be sad to see him go because I love the way he plays but we have to be reasonable.

this applies to just about everyone. sometimes your timing isn't good on retaining your 'franchise' QB, in that situation you do what it takes. so IF Kap does become that QB.....we'd better have someone else as ready as possible.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
shakespeare is overrated

'Sblood, you starveling, you elf-skin, you dried neat's tongue, you bull's pizzle, you stock-fish! O for breath to utter what is like thee! you tailor's-yard, you sheath, you bowcase; you vile standing-tuck!

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
So it looks like the chances of Goldson re-signing are slim. And keeping Whitner around would just be stupid; he's beyond a liability in coverage. This is a problem.

Culliver could move to FS as a last resort (and there are a ton of CBs in FA to take his place), so I'm not as concerned about FS. But what about SS?

There really aren't any SS I like in the draft all that much except Eric Reid. And unless they get him with the 2nd round pick, I wouldn't want him anyway. In fact, I want the Niners to trade up from the 62 spot to the middle of the round & steal Tank Carradine (or trade back from 34).

I know there hasn't been any indication that Whitner will be cut, but you HAVE to think the Niners are smarter than keeping him around another year. He's been a great teammate, and he was the best SS on the team last year, but he needs to go.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is an extremely solid safety class but none of them I would draft in the 1st. Good think we have two firsts and two seconds.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The deep class of safeties will help bring down the value of Goldson...

Re-sign Goldson, cut Whitner, sign Reed and draft Elam...

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The deep class of safeties will help bring down the value of Goldson...

Re-sign Goldson, cut Whitner, sign Reed and draft Elam...

I don't think we'd be doing all of those things. Reed is going to some place like the Pats, I wouldn't want to pay him or Goldson let alone both of them.

Elam reminds me a lot of a young Whitner, just shorter. The guy's height really scares me, if he was 6' I would say we should look at him with the Chiefs pick but being 5'8" I see him having a lot of the same problems that Whitner has with teams throwing over him.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Elam? He's rated too high IMO.

Ed Reed is a shell of his former self, so I wouldn't want him. I don't see why he'd get so much attention because he's not even a very good safety any more.

Everyone keeps raving about the depth in the safety class this year, but I don't see it. I was scheptical before the combine, and after I was even moreso.

Kenny Vaccaro is the top rated guy, and he ran a 4.6. And he'll be long gone.
Matt Elam? Short. Low ceiling. rated in the top 20-40. Too high.
Tony Jefferson ran a 4.75. Yikes! An OL ran faster than that.
Phillip Thomas? 4.65
D.J. Swearinger? 4.67
T.J. McDonald (who never impressed me)? 4.59
Josh Evans? 4.58
Robert Lester? 4.66
Bacarri Rambo & Johnathan Cyprien didn't even participate in the drills.
Even Jordan Poyer, a CB with the size to play FS, ran a 4.54.

Those times aren't just bad; they're horrible. I'd take a chance on Poyer, but how high? 4th round? And can he even play FS?

David Amerson? He won't be around w/ the 2nd round pick, and he's not worth trading up for. In fact, I'd hesitate to draft him in the 2nd. Totally inconsistent.
Shawn Williams had great speed #'s, but he has t-rex arms & didn't play great.

I love Eric Reid, but he'll probably go in the top 50. 1.47 10 yard split is amazing. Long arms. Great production. He's been my favourite all year.

Based on where those guys are projected, the ONLY prospect I like in the entire draft is Eric Reid. And he's purely a SS IMO. Xavier Rhodes could either a FS or SS, but he's rated in the first round (not worth it).

It seems to me that FA is the route to go with the SS position (unless the Niners get Eric Reid in the 2nd), and Culliver should be the FS. I'd like to maybe sign Quentin Jammer to play FS, but that's a minority opinion.

I don't see many good SS options either. SS is like TE; there aren't a lot of options except Eric Reid & Tyler Eifert. I'd throw LaRon Landry's name out there, but I'd only want him for maybe a 2 year deal. And the guy's nuts apparently.

bigpb72

OG Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if its a free agent i want Byrd!! he balls out...

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elam? He's rated too high IMO.

Ed Reed is a shell of his former self, so I wouldn't want him. I don't see why he'd get so much attention because he's not even a very good safety any more.

Everyone keeps raving about the depth in the safety class this year, but I don't see it. I was scheptical before the combine, and after I was even moreso.

Kenny Vaccaro is the top rated guy, and he ran a 4.6. And he'll be long gone.
Matt Elam? Short. Low ceiling. rated in the top 20-40. Too high.
Tony Jefferson ran a 4.75. Yikes! An OL ran faster than that.
Phillip Thomas? 4.65
D.J. Swearinger? 4.67
T.J. McDonald (who never impressed me)? 4.59
Josh Evans? 4.58
Robert Lester? 4.66
Bacarri Rambo & Johnathan Cyprien didn't even participate in the drills.
Even Jordan Poyer, a CB with the size to play FS, ran a 4.54.

Those times aren't just bad; they're horrible. I'd take a chance on Poyer, but how high? 4th round? And can he even play FS?

David Amerson? He won't be around w/ the 2nd round pick, and he's not worth trading up for. In fact, I'd hesitate to draft him in the 2nd. Totally inconsistent.
Shawn Williams had great speed #'s, but he has t-rex arms & didn't play great.

I love Eric Reid, but he'll probably go in the top 50. 1.47 10 yard split is amazing. Long arms. Great production. He's been my favourite all year.

Based on where those guys are projected, the ONLY prospect I like in the entire draft is Eric Reid. And he's purely a SS IMO. Xavier Rhodes could either a FS or SS, but he's rated in the first round (not worth it).

It seems to me that FA is the route to go with the SS position (unless the Niners get Eric Reid in the 2nd), and Culliver should be the FS. I'd like to maybe sign Quentin Jammer to play FS, but that's a minority opinion.

I don't see many good SS options either. SS is like TE; there aren't a lot of options except Eric Reid & Tyler Eifert. I'd throw LaRon Landry's name out there, but I'd only want him for maybe a 2 year deal. And the guy's nuts apparently.

People say deep, there are a lot of starting caliber guys just no real game breakers IMO.

The guy that I would probably look at is Eric Reid. Elam's size scares me a bit, plus he isn't a FS. Reid can play either FS or SS and likely in this league will be a FS.

Both Xavier Rhodes and Poyer will play CB in the NFL, regardless of their size they are both CB's. Rhodes won't be there when we pick so it doesn't really matter anyway, but teams are going to look at him at CB. He thrives in man coverage and struggles in zones so he might strugge if put at FS and asked to cover the a deep third.

I don't want Laron Landry at all, I want nothing to do with that guy. He's crap in coverage, then we woul have two liabilities in coverage on the back end.

Have there actually been talks about Culliver moving to FS or is that just a fan thing? I can't recall anyone incolved with the team actually mentioning this.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
'Sblood, you starveling, you elf-skin, you dried neat's tongue, you bull's pizzle, you stock-fish! O for breath to utter what is like thee! you tailor's-yard, you sheath, you bowcase; you vile standing-tuck!

did u just say my breathe smells like fish?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Something like that...

Actually, that isn't the best Shakespeare insult.

BRABANTIO - Thou art a villain.

IAGO - You are--a senator.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Elam actually reminds me of Nate Clements (when he was good). And if Nate Clements was able to play FS in his prime he would have been pretty awesome in that position.

Elam's size would be a liability against TE's which could be a major problem with the way the trend is going, but he can hit and tackle very well for his size. I like him better than Vacccaro who I think will just end up being an average S. If Elam slipped I wouldn't mind that pick, but I'm leaning towards taking a stab at some S in the middle rounds. Safety play could be a big issue next year, so hopefully Baalke can work some magic.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Would anyone feel nervous if we had two rookies in the secondary and Whitner and Goldson were both gone?

Like Eric Reid at SS, Culliver at FS, and then a rookie CB to go along with them?

What if Rogers was gone too, so 3/4 of our starting secondary was gone but replaced with 1st and 2nd round rookies and some younger free agents?

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something like that...

Actually, that isn't the best Shakespeare insult.

BRABANTIO - Thou art a villain.

IAGO - You are--a senator.

That is not an insult - it is a truth.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goldson does not need to be replaced. He is an All Pro Safety. The only reason they might dump him is they want to bring in Revis and they need Goldson's money to pay him. Corners are far more important than Safeties.