• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Saban & Bielema behind the kill uptempo offense rule

TROJAN-MAN

Been around the block more times than the mailman
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your team is on their opponents 30 yard line,8 seconds left to try a field goal and your quarterback spikes the ball to stop the clock with this ruling place your team is fucked, that just cost your team 5 yards...

TigerBait1971

Roll Tide? What? FUCK YOU! lolz
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While the results have been mixed due to having fewer players, USC has done alright vs. the hunh. You have to make sure your defense is in good shape and you have to be organized and ready to go so that substitutions can be made "on the fly".

They need to just leave it alone and let defensive coordinators figure it out. Some are already beginning to.

Agreed. LSU handles HUNH offenses just fine. DC's need to get to work.

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your team is on their opponents 30 yard line,8 seconds left to try a field goal and your quarterback spikes the ball to stop the clock with this ruling place your team is fucked, that just cost your team 5 yards...

They wont use the rule for the last 2 minutes of the half and game. The rule is still stupid though.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We are looking to turn that trend around next year and send you crying to Saban's camp.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They wont use the rule for the last 2 minutes of the half and game. The rule is still stupid though.

so you're down 2 scores, 6 minutes left no timeouts...your coach has terrible clock management skills, and your team is fucked :happy:

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yep, that's how it's always been. An OC (for example), looking to make a name for himself, comes up with some new wrinkle or scheme. It's successful and other OC's start copying it and adding their own twist.

Then some DC, looking to make a name for himself or keep his job, figures out a way to defend it and other DC's start copying that and adding their own twists.

And then the cycle repeats. It's how the game evolves and stays interesting.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the defenses were any good to start with they wouldn't have to switch players for every down and distance scenario, which is what they really want to do since it puts the offense at a disadvantage. Well, the hurry up has taken that away and now the crying about it being unfair? Give me a break, if the defense is allowed to setup a defense for every situation the offense should be allowed to counteract that ploy.
Yeah, because Bama's defense is just turrible. :L

It's not whether the Ds are good or bad, but it is about adaptability. In leagues where no or few teams run a HUNH offense, it wouldn't make sense to recruit to compete against it. They then have to hope to be able to adjust in the Bowl games or NC.

As more teams move toward it, then teams would start to adapt. They would obviously have to.

As to them not having to switch if they were any good to start with, yeah, the NFL that has all sorts of packages that depend on down, situation, etc., must not be any good. The idea that on a third and long you would want different defensive personnel makes sense to most people.

I get that some of you want a higher octane game. I get that for some of you, it is the only way your team has a way to compete against the teams that are able to recruit better and bigger players. I happen to be one of those that think that the rules have changed over the years to favor the offense. I like this rule as it gives a little back to the defense. That then caters to the type of football that I like to watch.

By the way, with the current rules, the offense is able to substitute every play if they want to adjust to the current situation. Some of us are just wanting the D to be able to do the same thing.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rule won't pass.

And for those saying Saban needs to adjust, well he is. He's recruiting different types of defensive players...starting with the LBs. Take Rashaan Evans for instance.

And I doubt A&M and Aubarn have scared Saban? Seriously? A&M is 1-1 vs Bama and both games came down to the wire. The Barn (since Chizik/Malzahn's offense have been at Auburn, 2008-2013) is 2-4 and their 2 wins came down to the wire.

saban scurred

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I prefer the day when my 11 played your 11....on both sides of the ball. Conditioning cures this. Sabin just likes the advantage of having 4 and 5 star back ups to spell the line.

SU only recruited one 4 star player. So they play 11 on 11.

It shames Sabin when teams without 5 star depth are competitive.
Really? You don't think that Bama's players are conditioned about as well as they could be? I am going to go out on a limb and say they are. I am also going to go out on a limb and say that a 340 pound DL is going to get gassed after a few plays, no matter how well he is conditioned.

I am happy for you wanting 11 v. 11, players going both ways. I hope that works out for you.

I am sure that Saban is sitting in his office right now, just shamed as he can be. And, trust me, I hate Satan so I don't like defending him.

As for him advocating for this, all he is doing is advocating for things that will work best for him. Just like the spread guys are going apoplectic to protect their best interests. Nothing new there ... that's how these things work.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather see some more pass interference called against the offense (Is the pick play legal now?). And maybe allow more bump and run in the coverage.

Forcing offenses to wait 11 seconds between plays to allow for defensive substitution is not the way to improve defenses.
Fair enough. Can't argue on the pick plays. Agree to disagree on the D getting to substitute.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only if it is Wisconsin. :nod:

Bamabino

No Limit Holdem Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, the offense is allowed free substitution but a defense has to abide by the offense's rules. Sounds fair to me.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
... By the way, with the current rules, the offense is able to substitute every play if they want to adjust to the current situation. Some of us are just wanting the D to be able to do the same thing.

:wtf2: Per NCAA rules, if the offense substitutes, the defense is given time to bring in substitutes.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:dhd:

LOL @ offenses not getting an advantage now!

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, the D should be able to sub whenever they want regardless of if the O subs or not. BUT, rather than having 10 seconds guaranteed after a play, I think if the D wants to sub, and the O is trying to run a hurry up, the players coming off/on better hustle their tails off and get off the field/lined up, cause the game aint waiting for ya

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, because Bama's defense is just turrible. :L

By the way, with the current rules, the offense is able to substitute every play if they want to adjust to the current situation. Some of us are just wanting the D to be able to do the same thing.

The defense is given that opportunity also. There is a huge difference. Defenses are complaining that it is too hard to make substitutions, because the offense is far more organized and concise in their management. There is no rule inhibiting the defense from making substitutions. This rule will inhibit the offense from snapping prior to 11 seconds by rule. Notice the difference. One inhibits by skill and preparation, the other by legislative mandate. Not hard to figure out why people think this is terrible.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because there is already a huge thread about this where the Bama fans made their position clear?

I am not a Bama fan, but I am for the new rule. I call BS on the injury reasoning, but I also call BS on the idea this will slow teams down. It won't. It will require the HUNH teams to play against better defenses, and I am guessing they don't like that which is why they are getting the panties in a wad.

The Pirate is protecting his own self-interests the same way Saban presumably is. Nothing heroic there.

It is my hope that the rule will give the D some level of advantage after a decade of favoring the Os. I prefer my games 28-21ish, not 55-48ish.

I prefer the day when my 11 played your 11....on both sides of the ball. Conditioning cures this. Sabin just likes the advantage of having 4 and 5 star back ups to spell the line.

SU only recruited one 4 star player. So they play 11 on 11.

It shames Sabin when teams without 5 star depth are competitive.

Really? You don't think that Bama's players are conditioned about as well as they could be? I am going to go out on a limb and say they are. I am also going to go out on a limb and say that a 340 pound DL is going to get gassed after a few plays, no matter how well he is conditioned.

I am happy for you wanting 11 v. 11, players going both ways. I hope that works out for you.

I am sure that Saban is sitting in his office right now, just shamed as he can be. And, trust me, I hate Satan so I don't like defending him.

As for him advocating for this, all he is doing is advocating for things that will work best for him. Just like the spread guys are going apoplectic to protect their best interests. Nothing new there ... that's how these things work.

Oh Snap!

And in that same spirit....I hope you enjoy getting this rule passed. "roll eyes"

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The defense is given that opportunity also. There is a huge difference. Defenses are complaining that it is too hard to make substitutions, because the offense is far more organized and concise in their management. There is no rule inhibiting the defense from making substitutions. This rule will inhibit the offense from snapping prior to 11 seconds by rule. Notice the difference. One inhibits by skill and preparation, the other by legislative mandate. Not hard to figure out why people think this is terrible.

It's not hard to see the crybaby whiners that are scared of uptempo offenses. Mostly TEAM SEC fans that think that it's not football if you aren't running every play and there HAS to be a problem if your QB can pass for more than 150 yards a game

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, the offense is allowed free substitution but a defense has to abide by the offense's rules. Sounds fair to me.

Not sure what you mean by free substitution....They run a player into the huddle, the D runs players in.

When the ball is down and the O is running to the line and players sub....well then the D should be prepared.

This is about fat assed 5 star linemen that are too stupid to be prepared to go in. And because the coach can't get them to be ready, the other fat assed 5 star lineman has to play a second down......OMG the abuse is staggering.