• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Saban & Bielema behind the kill uptempo offense rule

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a quick question, does Bama have to play Mizzou and A&M in the same season soon? And if Auburn is playing hurry up he must be dreading that schedule...

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many thread with the name Sabin and no Bama fans?

Bama fans not chiming in tells you a bunch. You have to love Bama fans. They won't say a bad word one about Sabin. They know this is a f'd up rule.

Or maybe they find it a tad bit embarrassing? :noidea:

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many thread with the name Sabin and no Bama fans?

Bama fans not chiming in tells you a bunch. You have to love Bama fans. They won't say a bad word one about Sabin. They know this is a f'd up rule.
Because there is already a huge thread about this where the Bama fans made their position clear?

I am not a Bama fan, but I am for the new rule. I call BS on the injury reasoning, but I also call BS on the idea this will slow teams down. It won't. It will require the HUNH teams to play against better defenses, and I am guessing they don't like that which is why they are getting the panties in a wad.

The Pirate is protecting his own self-interests the same way Saban presumably is. Nothing heroic there.

It is my hope that the rule will give the D some level of advantage after a decade of favoring the Os. I prefer my games 28-21ish, not 55-48ish.

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so, correct me if I am wrong...Saban is pushing the league to endanger these young men and put their health at risk. Monster.

Yea because playing more plays leads to less injuries! :L :scratch: :lame:

I would love to know what sources are behind these numbers. It's the first time I've seen an issue that should increase proportionately to an increase in participation yet somehow the numbers go down! :noidea:

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because there is already a huge thread about this where the Bama fans made their position clear?

I am not a Bama fan, but I am for the new rule. I call BS on the injury reasoning, but I also call BS on the idea this will slow teams down. It won't. It will require the HUNH teams to play against better defenses, and I am guessing they don't like that which is why they are getting the panties in a wad.

The Pirate is protecting his own self-interests the same way Saban presumably is. Nothing heroic there.

It is my hope that the rule will give the D some level of advantage after a decade of favoring the Os. I prefer my games 28-21ish, not 55-48ish.

If the defenses were any good to start with they wouldn't have to switch players for every down and distance scenario, which is what they really want to do since it puts the offense at a disadvantage. Well, the hurry up has taken that away and now the crying about it being unfair? Give me a break, if the defense is allowed to setup a defense for every situation the offense should be allowed to counteract that ploy.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I prefer the day when my 11 played your 11....on both sides of the ball. Conditioning cures this. Sabin just likes the advantage of having 4 and 5 star back ups to spell the line.

SU only recruited one 4 star player. So they play 11 on 11.

It shames Sabin when teams without 5 star depth are competitive.

963BUSC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd rather see some more pass interference called against the offense (Is the pick play legal now?). And maybe allow more bump and run in the coverage.

Forcing offenses to wait 11 seconds between plays to allow for defensive substitution is not the way to improve defenses.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not going to happen. This is the worst logic to use. Lets pass a screwed up rule, in order to make up for other bad rules in the past. Innovation has moved us here. Innovation will come on the other side of the ball and reverse the trend. Guys like John Chavis, Stoops, Patterson, and Strong have had success vs the spread. It is not impossible to stop it. You need to be multiple and innovative. SEC's issue with it is that it is relatively new to the SEC. Give them some recruiting cycles and a few yrs to deal with it and the tide will turn.

Last edited by a moderator:

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would Bama/Saban need this rule anyways? IF his club could RUN THE RWAK and control the clock on offense his defenses would have ample time for a blow on the pines.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While the results have been mixed due to having fewer players, USC has done alright vs. the hunh. You have to make sure your defense is in good shape and you have to be organized and ready to go so that substitutions can be made "on the fly".

They need to just leave it alone and let defensive coordinators figure it out. Some are already beginning to.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While the results have been mixed due to having fewer players, USC has done alright vs. the hunh. You have to make sure your defense is in good shape and you have to be organized and ready to go so that substitutions can be made "on the fly".

They need to just leave it alone and let defensive coordinators figure it out. Some are already beginning to.

I agree TF12, just ask Stanford/Shaw.

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be a sad day if this rule pass.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Leach tells it like it is. Pirate Capt fires a broadside right at the Saban garbage barge.

Washington State head coach Mike Leach went off on the proposed rule during a radio interview on WJOX in Birmingham, Alabama, and it was certainly entertaining to listen to.

"It's one of the most mind-numbingly dumb suggestions that I've ever heard and what makes this one even more reprehensible is the fact that it is so transparently self-serving," Leach said. And he was just warming up.

"It's a reaction to the success of Auburn and Texas A&M, clearly, so rather than innovate defensively and respond defensively... and rather than adapt our teams it's like we're gonna invent a rule," Leach said. "But in order to invent a rule you have to have a reason to invent a rule, so then they're going to try and hide behind player safety in order to do it."

Leach went on to proposes three rules he felt would enhance player safety, obviously mocking the defense of player safety as a priority focus for the proposed rule. They were:

1. Don't allow defenses to blitz

2. A defense is never allowed to bring more players than an offense has to block

3. You are not allowed to hit the quarterback.

At one point during the end of the interview Leach said this defensive substitution rule proposed would rival the halo rule for absurdity, if it happens to pass. Leach doubts it will pass, and that seems to be a common feeling by coaches, media and fans. The support for this rule just does not appear to be coming from many places outside of Tuscaloosa.

Mike Leach is a douche bag, but it was nice seeing him acknowledge that defense is a part of football. Hope his next rant involves football and a running game.

bamafan4evr12

Rising Tide
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rule won't pass.

And for those saying Saban needs to adjust, well he is. He's recruiting different types of defensive players...starting with the LBs. Take Rashaan Evans for instance.

And I doubt A&M and Aubarn have scared Saban? Seriously? A&M is 1-1 vs Bama and both games came down to the wire. The Barn (since Chizik/Malzahn's offense have been at Auburn, 2008-2013) is 2-4 and their 2 wins came down to the wire.

The Authority

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So its not enough that Saben gets the best recruits every year.

Now he wants new rules that will help him defend other coaching styles.

He might be the biggest Crybaby fuck ever to coach.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rule won't pass.

And for those saying Saban needs to adjust, well he is. He's recruiting different types of defensive players...starting with the LBs. Take Rashaan Evans for instance.

And I doubt A&M and Aubarn have scared Saban? Seriously? A&M is 1-1 vs Bama and both games came down to the wire. The Barn (since Chizik/Malzahn's offense have been at Auburn, 2008-2013) is 2-4 and their 2 wins came down to the wire.

of course they make him nervous/pissed. Malzahn is what 2-0 vs him or 2-1. Sumlin is 1-1. That probably represents the majority of his losses over the period.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1509005_698541876835899_2111965239_n.png

potzer25

The most eubillicant poster.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,909.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol at the rules committee:

Who's on NCAA football rules committee? Not many people who run a lot of plays | AL.com

Code:
Name						School/Conference Plays Per Game	NCAA Division Avg. Plays Per Game	School Record
Alfred White, C-USA assoc. commissioner		71.4					71.8 (FBS)				Not applicable
Todd Berry, Louisiana-Monroe coach		71.7					71.8 (FBS)				6-6
Troy Calhoun, Air Force coach			67.6					71.8 (FBS)				2-10
Ken Beazer, Southern Utah AD			66.5					70.5 (FCS)				8-5
Thomas Yeager, Colonial Athletic Association commissioner	70.4			70.5 (FCS)				Not applicable
Robert Nielson, Western Illinois coach		72.4					70.5 (FCS)				4-8
David Sharp, Ouachita Baptist AD		75.9					71.8 (Division II)			7-3
Keith Allen, Southwest Baptist coach		69.2					71.8 (Division II)			1-10
Peter Rossomando, New Haven coach		62.4					71.8 (Division II)			8-3
Gregory Wallace, Grinnell College AD		68.5					70.6 (Division III)			2-8
Michael Mattia, Johns Hopkins associate AD	81.1					70.6 (Division III)			10-1
Brian Surace, Fairleigh Dickinson coach		69.3					70.6 (Division III)			1-9

wiskyisgood12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can get any rule passed if you say it's all about player safety. But, I hope this doesn't come close to passing

One of the unintended consequences is comebacks will be incredibly difficult now.