• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Saban as HC

Ritzarmy

RIP WLK Loving father, husband, & friend to ALL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Knowing Snyder he might try to get the best College coach available.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bet if he goes the college route, he looks at shaw from Stanford.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was living in FL when Saban was with the Dolphins. Hell to the NO. He was an embarrassment and HOW he departed was a significant insight as to the type of man he is. Wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets face it, any coach of credibility and worth is going to stay far away from this mess right now.

We either end up with

1. Some hot college coach with zero NFL experience.
2. A recently fired coach with a little pedigree but questions following his last ouster (Kubiak)
3. Some one pulled in because he is a decent enough OC or DC, but wont push for roster control

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saban finally admits messing up on Drew Brees | Miami Dolphins In Depth

The man who passed on Drew Brees - no thank you! Don't think it is even possible - in this article Saban states what he has on several occasions - he does not prefer the NFL since he would rather have a huge advantage in talent via recruiting as opposed to the parity type setup of the NFL.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets face it, any coach of credibility and worth is going to stay far away from this mess right now.

We either end up with

2. A recently fired coach with a little pedigree but questions following his last ouster (Kubiak)
3. Some one pulled in because he is a decent enough OC or DC, but wont push for roster control

Yup. And in 3 years, we may be doing this again.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We either end up with

I would actually prefer someone in category 3 over just about anyone (and even someone in category 1). As I stated before - I don't want some big profile coach (e.g. Gruden) who is very likely to demand similar control to what Shanahan has - could be a recipe for disaster (granted the same could be said about other scenarios). Forget the coach - the key is getting an actual GM.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW Shark - the last long term consistent winning coach for the Redskins fell into category 3 on your list. Also - remember that Zorn was a mistake since he wasn't even a coordinator - just a QB coach who was taken on a hunch by Cerrato & Snyder.

Ritzarmy

RIP WLK Loving father, husband, & friend to ALL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the record I don't want Saban as the coach but I can see Snyder wanting him.

Funny how winning solves everything. Last year he was the coach of the year (to skin fans) because we made the playoffs. We lose the playoffs because he gets RG3 killed and this year continued the downward spiral. If he did come back next season (ha ha) and the team won 8-9 games I could see him being held up on every ones shoulders again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW Shark - the last long term consistent winning coach for the Redskins fell into category 3 on your list.

I was just thinking the same thing. Wouldn't it be nice if you could blueprint the criteria for the right 'Gibbs like' candidate.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fear there Socal is we end up with a GM in title only. Through it all, I find it sad that the only way to keep Dan out of player decisions is to contractually force his hand. And even that only works but so much apparently. My bet is, Allen retains his title. We bring in a coach who is just a coach. And Redskins one will be primed and ready to roll at 9:00 PM EST March 10th with flight plan filed and every big named free agent will be linked to the Skins. Just like old times minus the QB names basically.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW Shark - the last long term consistent winning coach for the Redskins fell into category 3 on your list. Also - remember that Zorn was a mistake since he wasn't even a coordinator - just a QB coach who was taken on a hunch by Cerrato & Snyder.

True... but in Gibbs one, we actually had a real GM with GM powers and we did NOT have Dan Snyder as the owner.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True... but in Gibbs one, we actually had a real GM with GM powers and we did NOT have Dan Snyder as the owner.

Granted - the statement about Snyder is true. However - your statement about the GM is totally what I am advocating. Let's bring some sense of normality to this organization by first bringing in an actual GM who makes personnel decisions and also hires the coach. If Dan Snyder is too dense to see this - well - they may be doomed.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fear there Socal is we end up with a GM in title only. Through it all, I find it sad that the only way to keep Dan out of player decisions is to contractually force his hand. And even that only works but so much apparently. My bet is, Allen retains his title. We bring in a coach who is just a coach. And Redskins one will be primed and ready to roll at 9:00 PM EST March 10th with flight plan filed and every big named free agent will be linked to the Skins. Just like old times minus the QB names basically.

As per my previous reply - this is the chance to see if Snyder has learned anything (can't jump to conclusions strictly based on all of the current media crap since none of it is confirmed). If they simply retain Allen in this role - huge mistake IMO. If they hire someone as a GM - can't just jump to conclusions that they are a figurehead - you have to let it play out).

We need to be careful to not fall into the trap of strictly relying on the media for info (especially the WP who hates the Redskins & their fans). There appears to be evidence that Snyder has stayed out of the mix for the most part. This is a setback, but we have no idea to what degree (and may never). Please try and not portray this as "The team is doomed for the next 20 years" type situation. I know that things are bad & frustrating right now, but it doesn't mean that it will stay that way. Hard to do - but keep the faith - at least a little.

HTTR

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SoCal, do you realize how strong of a personality you have to have to lock Snyder out? I can't see a first time GM or HC having those balls.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saban runs a fantastic college program because he can own these guys lives. He is a dictator. You can't do that with rich guys who have wives and kids. It doesn't work.

Yep - plus - unlike the NFL - he gets to pick the guys for his team. Once the program is to the level of an Alabama - he can pick just about anyone he wants. Compare that to the NFL where you have the draft system, salary cap & players constantly on the move due to free agency.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SoCal, do you realize how strong of a personality you have to have to lock Snyder out? I can't see a first time GM or HC having those balls.

Your premise assumes that Snyder basically doesn't have a desire to win. He is certainly smart enough to realize that he cannot do this on his own. I don't see signs that he is like a Jerry Jones & wants to be the de facto GM. He may have meddled somewhat but doesn't want to coach & realizes that he was horrible when he was - sort of - the GM several years ago. So are you basically advocating not even trying to get a GM?

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. I think that is the right strategy. I think dan does want to win. I just don't think he can help himself. I think he is a glorified jock sniffer. He falls in love with his toys and can't keep his hand off of them. I have very little faith in dan.