• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ryan Williams Cut

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joseph Randle on Steven Jackson tweet: 'He's at home watching'
joseph-randle.jpg

Joseph Randle is not happy with Steven Jackson pitching his services to Dallas. (Getty Images)

On Thursday, free agent running back Steven Jackson sent out a tweet letting the Dallas Cowboys know he's available if they're interested.

Jackson's not the first veteran running back to make his interest in running behind Dallas' offensive line known (Chris Johnson did the same a few months back), and apparently Joseph Randle has had about enough of that.

"That don't have nothing to do with me," Randle said, per the Dallas Morning News. "That's him, he's at home watching. We're just trying to get better here."

He'll likely share carries with Darren McFadden and Lance Dunbar, but Randle is assumed to have the inside track on the starting job for the Cowboys, per several reports. Jerry Jones said on Friday that Randle "has the potential to be the kind of back that would step in there and be your No. 1 back," and the Cowboys have indicated several times that they're perfectly happy to go into the season with the running backs currently on their roster.

Besides Jerry, another person that appears to have confidence in Randle's ability is tight end Jason Witten. “I think Joe understands what he has in front of him. He has to earn it. He has to work," Witten said. "Joe, he's doing what you would want a guy to do. He's learning to keep his mouth shut and go in there and play. He's on it.”

As for Randle himself, “It's my dream to be a feature running back in the NFL,” he said. “I'm here every day to try to make that dream come true.”

Good to see Witten endorsing Randle, thats exactly what I would expect him to say and do. Doesn't seem he's completely learned to keep his mouth shut yet however. The comment about SJ being at home, probably could have been a little differently stated. I am glad to hear it seems Joe is working hard on his dream

Is it just me or is Randle hard to like? Just STFU at least until you have done something in this league...

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO best case scenario is McFadden getting 7 giveto 10 carries a game, Dunbar 5 to 7 and Randle around 20 to 22/23 as a group 35 to 40 carries.

I understand injuries or legal shit could derail this plan

:eek:You know how important I think the running game is to this team, but even I don't want to run the ball that much!!! 640 carries!!! I'd say more like 30 carries per game, but who knows. The better we are the more we will run.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only way SJ is on this team is if McFadden is cut or injured and the other guys can't pass protect. He can't really contribute to an NFL team at this point. No way we will even consider Rice. Imagine if we brought Hardy and Rice in as FAs during the same offseason??? Plus, I'm not sure he has anything left either. Out of the FAs I wanted to take a look at it looks like Pierre Thomas will go to Hou and Bradshaw is still under the injury cloud and has suspension issues.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it just me or is Randle hard to like? Just STFU at least until you have done something in this league...

I am not a fan of the guy, too many issues. He is going to have to produce so much that I have no choice but to tolerate him on this team, until someone else comes along and bumps him. Preferably someone that has some integrity and doesn't run their mouth as much

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he doesn't start holding on to the ball in camp, he might get to meet Jackson in person....

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only way SJ is on this team is if McFadden is cut or injured and the other guys can't pass protect. He can't really contribute to an NFL team at this point. No way we will even consider Rice. Imagine if we brought Hardy and Rice in as FAs during the same offseason??? Plus, I'm not sure he has anything left either. Out of the FAs I wanted to take a look at it looks like Pierre Thomas will go to Hou and Bradshaw is still under the injury cloud and has suspension issues.
I always liked Thomas too, but the fact that Houston lost Foster for at least 12 weeks, brought Thomas in with the intention of signing him, and then let him walk was pretty telling.
Is the rule still that if you sign a vet after week 1 or 2 that their contract isn't fully guaranteed? If so, that's when I think the Cowboys may bring in a Rice or CJ or SJ

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always liked Thomas too, but the fact that Houston lost Foster for at least 12 weeks, brought Thomas in with the intention of signing him, and then let him walk was pretty telling.
Is the rule still that if you sign a vet after week 1 or 2 that their contract isn't fully guaranteed? If so, that's when I think the Cowboys may bring in a Rice or CJ or SJ

I didn't think about that,but that is a good point on Thomas.

FA Vet: I'm not sure if it is for all contracts, but yes there is a rule where if the guy is on the roster for week 1 his contract is fully guaranteed. I think it may just be for veteran minimum contracts? But not sure. I would imagine from our point of view if we have a veteran RB in camp that we feel is good enough to make the week 1 roster, we wouldn't let that change our opinion. Where it gets tricky is with the guys that are cut on Final cut down day by other teams. if you sign them you really don't get much of a chance to evaluate them between then and week 1.

I don't have a crystal ball, but IMO there is zero chance we sign Ray Rice. After bringing in Hardy could you imagine if we also brought in Rice the same year?

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't think about that,but that is a good point on Thomas.

FA Vet: I'm not sure if it is for all contracts, but yes there is a rule where if the guy is on the roster for week 1 his contract is fully guaranteed. I think it may just be for veteran minimum contracts? But not sure. I would imagine from our point of view if we have a veteran RB in camp that we feel is good enough to make the week 1 roster, we wouldn't let that change our opinion. Where it gets tricky is with the guys that are cut on Final cut down day by other teams. if you sign them you really don't get much of a chance to evaluate them between then and week 1.

I don't have a crystal ball, but IMO there is zero chance we sign Ray Rice. After bringing in Hardy could you imagine if we also brought in Rice the same year?
I agree, I think if Rice could still play, he'd have already signed somewhere anyway, and the Cowboys would get crushed nationally if they signed him anyway. All the scrapheap guys, Rice, CJ, SJ, Thomas, they have all slipped a bit. I was a bit surprised the Cowboys didn't take Ajayi when he slid in the draft, but I think they felt solid with the backs they had. The problem is losing Williams, who was a shoe in to make the 53 IMO.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, I think if Rice could still play, he'd have already signed somewhere anyway, and the Cowboys would get crushed nationally if they signed him anyway. All the scrapheap guys, Rice, CJ, SJ, Thomas, they have all slipped a bit. I was a bit surprised the Cowboys didn't take Ajayi when he slid in the draft, but I think they felt solid with the backs they had. The problem is losing Williams, who was a shoe in to make the 53 IMO.

Not to say they don't like Green and he has no future, but I think if they knew they were getting Collins after the draft they may have taken a RB in round 3...

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to say they don't like Green and he has no future, but I think if they knew they were getting Collins after the draft they may have taken a RB in round 3...
It will all work out in the end. By adding Green and then getting Collins, they have a chance to have the best OLine in the NFL for the next 7-8 years. That doesn't suck....

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will all work out in the end. By adding Green and then getting Collins, they have a chance to have the best OLine in the NFL for the next 7-8 years. That doesn't suck....

I don't have a problem with Green at all, especially if Collins plays Guard. My point was more about RB, but I think we will be OK there ultimately too.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree he should word things a bit differently, but what is he supposed to do. He isn't Demarco- meaning a quiet type guy. I don't mind the confidence he has in himself. Huge shoes to fill.